Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
...best I remember, around 50 or so years ago, manual trans
were the deciding factor for vehicles getting excellent gas mileage.

I didn't know that had changed..........................:inspect:
It's only changed because cars have anti idiot engine blow up devices called rev limiters now and people think you should hit it before shifting to the next gear.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
1 ) The gearing differences and consequences thereof are news to people?
Apparently yes. All the auto guys ever say is "the auto shifts faster than you can," but this tells us the gearing contributes more to the disparity in quickness. The gearing is intentionally this way to meet regulatory requirements. (And keeps getting worse. The '18+ gearing is taller than the 15-17.)

I'm not saying a manual could ever be as fast as the A10, but the built in disadvantages of the current manual offering are helpful in understanding the differences.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Just watch it. The GT 10A vs MT82 is discussed. Learn a bit.
Today's computer involvement mostly aside, nothing in there I hadn't figured out for myself over 50 years ago.

Norm

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Dammit. I see what you did there.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Visually, from a mathematical simulation of my own creation. Everything the same except for transmission gearing and shift time. The MT82 shift points are much more pronounced.

10R80 vs MT82D4 1.jpg

Here's what a run up through the gears starting at a little over 50 mph looks like. The 10R80 (Case #1) clearly leads the way.

10R80 vs MT82D4.jpg

Norm

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Here we go with this shit again
Automatic little dick syndrome is skrong here. We all know the 10R80 is awesome, but lets keep making posts about what everyone with 1/2 a brain knows. Manual guys don't give a shit...

Reminds me of the EcoBoost feels when talking 5.0.

OP also feels the D4 is a terrible transmission when every post on this forum says the predecessors were terrible. I actually thought a car forum for a Mustang wouldn't be full of idiots like other forums, boy was I wrong.

OP=troll

Sponsored
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Automatic little dick syndrome is skrong here. We all know the 10R80 is awesome, but lets keep making posts about what everyone with 1/2 a brain knows. Manual guys don't give a shit...

Reminds me of the EcoBoost feels when talking 5.0.

OP also feels the D4 is a terrible transmission when every post on this forum says the predecessors were terrible. I actually thought a car forum for a Mustang wouldn't be full of idiots like other forums, boy was I wrong.

OP=troll
I guess, some how, in a thread with a title that denigrates manuals, I'm attacking 1080R owners, their masculinity, and their worth as a human beings.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Today's computer involvement mostly aside, nothing in there I hadn't figured out for myself over 50 years ago.

Norm
Right.

Because that video isn't pretty much all about the development of automatic transmissions in the last 50 or so years, with a particular focus on the computer/electronic controls.

Last edited:

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Don't worry, manuals are becoming more like automatics all the time. You don't have to take your foot off the gas when you shift, it won't let you shift if it will bog the engine or cause the engine to over-rev (it locks the shifter). You have automatic rev matching and drive by wire. The only thing left to control is the clutch.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Don't worry, manuals are becoming more like automatics all the time. You don't have to take your foot off the gas when you shift, it won't let you shift if it will bog the engine or cause the engine to over-rev (it locks the shifter). You have automatic rev matching and drive by wire. The only thing left to control is the clutch.
Yeah, and you know actually rowing the gears. 🤦‍♂️
Sponsored