MagneRide vs PP1 Ride ?

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Bluestang59, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Bluestang59

Bluestang59 Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT PP1 LB CER
    0   0   0
    I am happy with the handling of my 2017 GT with PP1 but the ride on crap roads is pretty harsh. Has anybody gone to a newer model with MagnaRide from an older PP1 that can comment on how much difference it makes on crappy roads ?

2. Gregs24

Gregs24 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    Mondeo 240 Ecoboost Vignale, Lotus Evora S, Mustang V8 GT
    0   0   0
    I test drove a non Magneride car here in the UK (we have PP1 as standard) and then bought one with Magneride. For a daily car Magneride is night and day better. It is genuinely like a magic carpet even on really jiggly surfaces to the point that it rides better than my Mondeo (Fusion) but also handles better with very little roll even on the softest settings.

grnmstr, Laserbrain and Vlad Soare like this.
  3. Vlad Soare

Vlad Soare Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vlad
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mondeo 2.0H
    0   0   0
    I'm so happy to hear that.
    I was a bit reluctant at first, as I always am when it comes to new technology. You know, the usual reasoning: more things that can go wrong, more expensive to repair or to replace, a solution to an inexistent problem, why change something that already works, etc. But your warm recommendation of the MageRide on the other forum made me curious and encouraged me to read more about it. And I'm so glad I changed my mind and ordered it. I was afraid that it might be too late to change the order, but fortunately it wasn't.
    Thanks.

4. cib24

cib24 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
    0   0   0
    Magneride is a revelation. I had to search and search to weed out all of the 2019 stock that came with options but no Magneride, because there was no way I was going for a non-Magneride car after test driving a non-Magneride car. Yes, I know you can upgrade to different coilovers but they still wouldn't drive as well as a Magneride car. Also, out of the box the difference between normal and sport/track is very noticeable, but even in sport/track it's not too harsh (although I wouldn't recommend riving in that mode for normal duties because normal is so good).

The stance out of the box is also better, and I wager all you really need are upgraded springs to lower the car and provide a little more stiffness if you intend to do occasional track days.

5. WD Pro

WD Pro Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Lime GT On Order ...
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    When you say the stance is better, do the MR cars sit differently ?

WD :like:

6. cib24

cib24 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
    0   0   0
    Yeah, they sit a touch lower (maybe 10-20mm) and the wheel studs are longer and the wheels sit again maybe 10mm further out (as if you installed 10mm spacers on a non-Mag car).

I caveat this with "this is subjectively what it looks like when you see the cars side by side."

Tickitty Tock and Mustang Tony like this.
  7. WD Pro

WD Pro Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Lime GT On Order ...
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    That’s interesting thanks - any opinions from others would also be appreciated :like:

I have a photo the GF took of me sat in a MR car at the dealers (only MR car I have seen in person) and although I can only see the back wheel, I have to agree that it does look a little better - I just thought it was a good angle.

8. 3pdl

3pdl Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '19 mustang gt pp1, '82 f150
    0   0   0
    pp1 with magneride is simply amazing on both street and track. coming from an sti i can say it can both corner better and be MUCH less stiff.
    however, there is a tradeoff in communication between me and the contact patch. i always felt i knew where the envelope's edge was in the sti. between the magneride and the advancetrac, i lose a small measure of confidence near the limits. it becomes more mental and less visceral.
    its truly amazing but subtly unnerving for me at +1 g's.
    but this is only a comparison between the magneride and the sti, not a regular pp1 which i have only driven once, briefly

Chola and Tickitty Tock like this.
  9. kz

kz Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustangs & F150
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    None of this ^^^^ is true.

Kungfukendrixx likes this.
  10. Gregs24

Gregs24 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle(s):
    Mondeo 240 Ecoboost Vignale, Lotus Evora S, Mustang V8 GT
    0   0   0
    Correct - there is no difference. It is only the shocks that are different.

Magneride is also not 'new' technology - it has been around for 20 years and has been used widely

11. DickR

DickR Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
    0   0   0
    MagneRide cars do get different stronger hubs than normal GT's and I think (don't know) than normal shock PP1 GT's. Also one of the rear springs in the MagneRide cars is reverse wound like the GT350's.

It is true that the tech has been around for a long time and has been used in many GM performance and other cars. However the current version which is "newer but not brand new" does have improved tech and more and faster control/programming capability for the Ford vehicle dynamics engineers to tune with.

I agree with the subjective ride improvements between first gen PP1 GT oem and also Koni single adjustable shocks and PP1 MagneRide shocks. I had a 2015 GT PP with oem and then Konis and the subjective ride and overall control even in "normal" with my 18 GT PP1 is significantly better/more comfortable.

12. cib24

cib24 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS
    0   0   0
    Yes, the Magneride studs are longer which is why some spacers that work on non-Magneride cars don't work on Magneride ones. An example from a spcer on CJ Pony Parts' website. There is also confirmation in a few threads on this site that the Magneride cars sit somewhere around 10mm lower than non-Magneride cars. The springs on the Magneride cars are actually different as well as per Steeda in terms of rate and as another person said the rears are reversed.

Spring Rates
    PP1 Mustang GT w/o Magneride: 165/728
    PP1 Mustang GT w/ Magneride: 150/650

[​IMG]

13. 13GetThere

13GetThere Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Lynn
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
    0   0   0
    If it wasn't for magneride I'd still be driving a 2013 GT with the Brembo package. While I didn't think the suspension was stiff enough, my wife complained about how rough the ride was. I traded for a PPL2 and now my wife loves the ride, and I have the handling I want.

14. MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX Driver

First Name:
    DT
    Vehicle(s):
    19 Mustang GT convertible, Orange Fury + Ebony, A10/PP/AE/MS/B&O
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    I had a '16 PP1 car and now a '19 PP1 car with MR, it's a huge difference. The MR handles better __and__ rides better, and being able to dampen bouncy roads on the fly is just awesome (there's a couple of bridges around here where the old car really got a good bounce going ...)

This is correct, they use a different hub (it's a variant of the GT350 I believe)

This however, isn't the case, the track width is exactly the same as non-MR cars.

OK, this is an interesting one: there's nothing documenting there's a "by design" lower ride height for PP1/MR cars - however, I'll swear mine sits lower. I'm running aftermarket 20" wheels (from the previous car), and the tire-to-fender gap looks smaller, in fact, it sits so nice, I've kind of abandoned the idea of lowering springs (I had BMR SP080s on the '16).

Mustang Tony likes this.
  15. WD Pro

WD Pro Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Lime GT On Order ...
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    It would appear that UK MagneRide cars may actually be a little different ... ?

Make your own mind up :

This was the first MR car my local dealer got in and it was also the first facelift. Rear tyre gap doesn’t look as big as some I have seen :

13-A17-BCB-3086-4439-945-A-F85-FC7152155.jpg

But that could be very subjective due to my arse being sat in it and the angle of the photo etc but ...

Toady I got to view two new unregistered UK cars, sat side by side for comparison. The green one is a MR car :

C3-E69-B2-B-DBDE-4021-BDFF-65-D7186-A8730.jpg

Rear - two fingers are a tight fit / won’t go in (:shock: :cwl:) :

07158838-D56-C-4634-8-AD3-B339783420-E1.jpg

Extra clearance on this one :

8-FCE647-C-22-BD-4173-B0-F0-09-B24-A9-F3-B58.jpg

Exactly the same on the front :

3-AEA70-A4-D72-F-4-EE9-8-E47-D9-A76-AC10-D29.jpg

F65-E538-D-9-E2-E-467-C-8-A95-3-D61-FDFDCF2-C.jpg

Green MR car sits a little lower, even considering the fall of the ground :

C51-CEFDE-4240-4068-B911-D24-BC850-E3-AF.jpg

It’s difficult to judge, but I also think the MR cars rears sit a little further out ? (Check the fist comparison photo looking down the side of them). Maybe it’s just a byproduct of being a little lower, but I don’t get the same feeling about the front ?

So what do you think ... ?

Chola, Hack, gmupatriot and 5 others like this.