Sponsored

Made a dumb mistake and need some suggestions...

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Hey guys. I'll try to keep this as short as possible but at 85k miles I went to replace my spark plugs on my TT GT and spark plug number 3 broke off without me noticing while pulling it out. (I grabbed a 12 point spark plug socket without realizing it and didn't get it seated on the plug) I thought I cleaned all the ceramic out because the car was running normal but at 87k miles I realized I was 2.5 quarts low on oil. My gt has never burnt enough oil to add any in-between changes so at this point I'm guessing some ceramic went through the rings. Did a compression test and all the other cylinders were between 212-228 which is right on with what's they've read every other time I've tested it but cylinder 3 only hit 202. Could be worse but not ideal. I tried lucas oil stabilizer to see if that would seal it up some and right away I threw a code for lean bank one.

Did some data logging and it's not running lean at wot but at idle and cruise my fuel trims for bank one are positive 15%. I had no code pror to running the lucas so I got that shot out of there asap but no change. I loked everything over and can't find any vacuum or exhaust leaks. I cleaned the o2 because it was caked up with oil and even switched the o2s from bank 1&2 but my fuel trim stayed the same so I guess I can rule out the oil screwing up the o2 sensor.

I'm waiting on a leak down tester to see if the exhaust valve was damaged too and that's causing the lean code but I'm hoping that's not the case. I also ordered a new maf and oil pressure switch and I'm waiting on those to come in. I know oil pressure switch sounds ridiculous but I found two cases where the lucas oil stabilizer caused a lean code, one on a focus and one on a Honda odyssey and replacing the oil pressure switch fixed the issue so I'm shooting in the dark on that one. Lol.

Overall the car still pulls hard. I run 10lbs of boost through it daily and it seems a hair down on power but not much. I honestly think it's dumping so much fuel in bank one that may be the cause of the slight lose of power. That and the fact the Temps finally hit the high 100s right after this happened. Anyone have any ideas of anything else I can check? If I can get rid of the code I'll still be good for emissions and can live with a little oil consumption until I'm ready to throw a motor in there. Overall I'm actually impressed with how much abuse the coyote can take. I figured with the condition of my engine I would have blown it but 88k and still taking a beating every day! TIA
Sponsored

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It seems the lean condition is a coincidence with the timing of using the Lucas.

I don't see how an oil additive would cause a lean condition?

Hell, the majority of this board uses some sort of oil additive (ceratec, zinc, etc) and ive never heard of it causing a lean condition.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
It seems the lean condition is a coincidence with the timing of using the Lucas.

Hell, the majority of this board uses some sort of oil additive (ceratec, zinc, etc) and ive never heard of it causing a lean condition.
Completely agree. The Lucas almost certainly didn't cause the lean code. Lean at idle and not WOT is commonly a vacuum leak. Do you have access to a smoke tester? I'd also be surprised if the ceramic hurt anything. The old 5.4's would break spark plugs off all the time and the tool to remove them would usually drop little pieces of ceramic in the cylinder. It was commonly though that the bits of ceramic were gone out the exhaust port after the first combustion event. I never heard of a single complaint of a damaged cylinder from the procedure. As for the oil... 2.5 quarts in 2k miles would have to be noticeable coming out of the exhaust, along with oil film on the back of the car. Have you noticed an increase in smoke out of the car or anything unusual on your back bumper?

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Any thought to pull the injectors and having them clenaed?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
You likely damaged a valve seat and or the valve itself, not the rings.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
You likely damaged a valve seat and or the valve itself, not the rings.
That's possible but how would that explain the sudden oil consumption?

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)

Completely agree. The Lucas almost certainly didn't cause the lean code. Lean at idle and not WOT is commonly a vacuum leak. Do you have access to a smoke tester? I'd also be surprised if the ceramic hurt anything. The old 5.4's would break spark plugs off all the time and the tool to remove them would usually drop little pieces of ceramic in the cylinder. It was commonly though that the bits of ceramic were gone out the exhaust port after the first combustion event. I never heard of a single complaint of a damaged cylinder from the procedure. As for the oil... 2.5 quarts in 2k miles would have to be noticeable coming out of the exhaust, along with oil film on the back of the car. Have you noticed an increase in smoke out of the car or anything unusual on your back bumper?
Yeah I know the lucas and lean condition seem unrelated and I agree but I found a few instances where others had the exact same thing happen right after using it so I'm just exploring all the options. Not sure why but instantly after replacing the oil pressure sensor their bank 1 fuel trims went back to normal.

I don't have a smoke machine but need to find one. I ran through all the lines, sprayed everything with carb and brake cleaner and ilde didn't budge. Plus vacuum on my boost gauge is steady at 18. Wouldn't a vacuum leak affect both banks?

And the only time I can see smoke is when I'm doing a pull up the on ramp by my house. Probably because of the angle of it. Bumper is fine but my borla tips are now black as could be. That's the only reason I even checked my oil and found it low. I had gotten really lazy about checking it because I never had any lose in between 4k oil changes since day one.

Appreciate all the suggestions guys!

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Any thought to pull the injectors and having them clenaed?
At this point I'll try anything lol. They only have around 44k miles on them but I run a shit ton of octane booster. Car has plenty of fuel when it pulls and the fuel pump isn't maxing out but I'll add it to the list.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
That's possible but how would that explain the sudden oil consumption?
Potentially damaged a valve guide seal on the way out of the exhaust port?

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
One more thing I completely forgot about was after I changed the oil and got the lucas out of there I found this in my oil. Any idea what it is?
20230616_170204.jpg
20230616_170209.jpg

Sorry work has been bat shit crazy and I wasn't able to focus on or post anything about this sooner and now I'm trying to remember everything thing...

Sponsored

TrackMeisterWannabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 w/HP
One more thing I completely forgot about was after I changed the oil and got the lucas out of there I found this in my oil. Any idea what it is?
20230616_170204.jpg
20230616_170209.jpg

Sorry work has been bat shit crazy and I wasn't able to focus on or post anything about this sooner and now I'm trying to remember everything thing...
Looks like time for a tear down to me.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I am no expert but the seals are not in the port but on the stem inside the springs.
Yeah, it's impossible for fragments in the chamber to nick that at any stage. If it didn't burn oil before and now it does, there's very likely cylinder wall scoring. A borescope would confirm.

Couple that with a cam follower falling apart and I think this motor is ready to be retired. At least pull the valve covers and scope the cylinders to get more information.
Sponsored