Mach 1 Handling Package Tramlining?

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Do they really write you a defective equipment ticket over a clearly stupid load rating value?
Yes, it can happen, depends on what you have been pulled over for. If it happens the car would have to be towed or correct tyres installed before driving off.
Sponsored

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Yes, it can happen, depends on what you have been pulled over for. If it happens the car would have to be towed or correct tyres installed before driving off.
Frustratingly, 295/35/19 4s tyres for the rear are 104Y.

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5

Here's another

Doesn't talk about tramlining, but you get an idea about performance.
Don't believe that Cup2 Connect is what's on the M1HP. Ours are more aggressive, stickier and less deep groves.

Here's M1HP Cup2 with 100 (Track) miles. Plenty of tread life left but not the Cup2 above.

Back to tramlining, S4's will fix it.

thumbnail.jpeg

Last edited:

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Driving the cup 2s around the Midwest all the way to California, I felt the tires had a very interesting response to the road.

At the end of the day, I believe my var was tramlining all the way through. Driving on the local roads now as well- I feel the same.

Does anyone know if this tramlining is a feature or a bug in these handling package cars? I am gonna get rid of my Cup2s soon and move to Pilot S4S and then take it to Ford for alignment but that’s a few weeks/months from now.
It wouldn’t hurt to verify the alignment specs but in my case, ps4’s cured it instantly. As @shogun32 mentioned you are most likely not going to get the advantages of the cup2’s on the street but you will get the negatives. My brief experience with the cups was that the car felt very nervous like it wouldn’t settle down.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
And here's Steeda'a solution

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Ford has a history of equipping cars with terrible tires for street use. Back in the early 2000’s they put 245/45R17 that chased every rut in the road. I can only imagine how bad having these wide ass tires on today’s roads. But cool sales better than function.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford has a history of equipping cars with terrible tires for street use. Back in the early 2000’s they put 245/45R17 that chased every rut in the road. I can only imagine how bad having these wide ass tires on today’s roads. But cool sales better than function.
245’s back in the day were like pizza cutters lol. I don’t remember ever having tramlining issues on my 01.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Frustratingly, 295/35/19 4s tyres for the rear are 104Y.
I would live with that, how could police even tell what has to be there in the first place? We don't carry car's technical certificate which is the only paper where wheel and tyre sizes are written. So they check it only at technical inspection.

I'm kinda in same spot but nobody will make a fuss about 104 vs 105 when the tyre has correct size (I have it written as alternative to vehicle's technical certificate, without stated load index as that isn't in TĂśV approval for other wheels that I used as a template either).

It's common that lower profile has bit lower load index. For example PS4S 315/30 R19 is also 104Y. 305/30 R19 is 102Y. The car doesn't mind.

Last edited:

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I would live with that, how could police even tell what has to be there in the first place? We don't carry car's technical certificate which is the only paper where wheel and tyre sizes are written. So they check it only at technical inspection.

I'm kinda in same spot but nobody will make a fuss about 104 vs 105 when the tyre has correct size (I have it written as alternative to vehicle's technical certificate, without stated load index as that isn't in TĂśV approval for other wheels that I used as a template either).

It's common that lower profile has bit lower load index. For example PS4S 315/30 R19 is also 104Y. 305/30 R19 is 102Y. The car doesn't mind.

We have a tyre placard stuck to the inside of the door, if its missing its easy enough to check the cars details online to confirm. Its a basic roadworthy check in Aus.

1637576599201.png

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
@MLO 351 And how does it work with aftermarket wheels, say 20"? Those are not on the sticker so you'd have some other paper for them. Make that paper and be done with it, I'll send you TĂśV certificate for this size :giggle:

Sponsored

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
@MLO 351 And how does it work with aftermarket wheels, say 20"? Those are not on the sticker so you'd have some other paper for them. Make that paper and be done with it, I'll send you TĂśV certificate for this size :giggle:
Regardless of wheel diameter tyres must meet or exceed the Manufacturers load rating.

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
In this particular case those of us who bought the HP upgrade got what they paid for and then some. I knew that I would be switching tires for street use long before I actually got the car.

The cup2s are stored for if/when I track the car, but I certainly would not blame Ford for this, because I chose to purchase this upgrade with full knowledge of what I was getting.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Now I'm not giving legal advice here, but on your tires, if an officer is checking your tire size and load rating, you must have really pissed him off, or he's just a bored dickhead. In either case, be polite, cooperative, and plead ignorant if he brings it up.
Now of course I have no idea what the laws and penalties are in other nations. It might be, "Oh, you have the wrong tire size on your car. Would you like a cigarette and blindfold before we shoot you?", or maybe, "You have the wrong tires on your car. Get that taken care of before your court date. Here is your ticket."
As I always said, I don't lock people up. They lock themselves up.

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
Only reason for the 315s in the back are so you don't confuse the difference compounds. Cup2s are a much stiffer tire with much sticker tread. They want to be hot and driven hard. Some times one tire might be a bit warmer then the other side which gives it a bit if pulling. They do get a bit better after some heat cycling but they will never be the same as a dedicated Street tire. Ford did compound the tires knowing they would be driven on the street and they actually have good wet weather grip, they just lack confident hydroplaning resistance.

Because Race car.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only reason for the 315s in the back are so you don't confuse the difference compounds. Cup2s are a much stiffer tire with much sticker tread. They want to be hot and driven hard. Some times one tire might be a bit warmer then the other side which gives it a bit if pulling. They do get a bit better after some heat cycling but they will never be the same as a dedicated Street tire. Ford did compound the tires knowing they would be driven on the street and they actually have good wet weather grip, they just lack confident hydroplaning resistance.

Because Race car.
The Mach 1 comes with the gt350r cups. They do not have good wet weather performance. the regular gt350 cup2’s which are a different tire are the ones that are suitable for wet surfaces.
Sponsored