Sponsored

Lowering driver seat

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
6'3" with the full power leather seats (50th Ann Appearance Package) and no room for a helmet (touches headliner).
#TheStruggleIsReal
Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Bubba Smith had no issues driving a Honda Civic in Police Academy.. He was 6' 7".. LMAO

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thus custom fab is currently the only option with stock seats. The good news is there is plenty of room below the seat for lowering for the standard seats & Recaros. The Premium seats I don't know. The extra heating & cooling hardware would likely make them harder to mod, maybe with less free space availible.
Wouldn't the cooling hardware be more likely to drive seat height? Seat heating is just a couple of wires, right?

If so, I wonder if possibly having to give up the seat cooling would be a deal-breaker for lowering the seats enough for these guys with headroom problems.

Norm

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Since the seat coolers don't work very well in the 15-17, I don't see why not.

Chopps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I wish there was a way to lower them to. Someone fab up some mounts for us tall folk.

Sponsored

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
No, he's right. These seats do NOT lower enough. For anyone of you who have taken this car on the track with leather or cloth seats, I bet you would benefit more if the seat could go a couple inches lower. I'm 5'10" 145 lbs and definitely don't have clearance issues, but more or less feel like I'm way too high up when that thing is chunked into a corner. My 13 FRS 10 Series had a manual lever that would allow you to lower the seat a crap ton and that was nice. I lower the steering wheel all the way down, am up far enough to where my arms fully extended past the steering wheel have a bend in my elbows when my wrists are resting on the steering wheel, and I just wish the seat could drop a couple of inches, because seating position is what gives you the most control!

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Wouldn't the cooling hardware be more likely to drive seat height? Seat heating is just a couple of wires, right?

If so, I wonder if possibly having to give up the seat cooling would be a deal-breaker for lowering the seats enough for these guys with headroom problems.

Norm
Well given you have to give up heating and cooling when you get the Recaros in a Premium, I figure it must be hard to keep them with any serious changes.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Well given you have to give up heating and cooling when you get the Recaros in a Premium.
Isn't that because the Recaros don't have the internal hardware for either the heating or the cooling?

Seems that keeping the standard seats would allow you to retain the heating function almost no matter how far you lowered them.

Norm

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic, PP1, 401A, MR, VE, A10, shaker audio
I ended up pulling out the factory seat and putting in a Recaro seat, no heating, no cooling, no power anything. It ended dropping the seat 3-4 inches and still have seat track adjustment. Just needs to add resistors for air bags fault. I can now wear a helmet with no issues, now my eyeliner is below the rearview mirror which helps. Only did the driver side or you need to add the sensor for the passenger.
IMG_0971.jpg

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Which mounts?

Planted mounts only got me ~1" lower. Had to go to custom fabricated mounts to get ~2.5" lower with my seats (Evo 8 Recaros).

Need to throw some flat black paint on your floor pan exposed when the big square footers on the stock mounts were removed.

Sponsored

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic, PP1, 401A, MR, VE, A10, shaker audio
Which mounts?

Planted mounts only got me ~1" lower. Had to go to custom fabricated mounts to get ~2.5" lower with my seats (Evo 8 Recaros).

Need to throw some flat black paint on your floor pan exposed when the big square footers on the stock mounts were removed.
Ordered them from Griffin Motorwerke West in Berkley
The seats were Recaro Speed M
Recaro Tabbed inside handle slider RNA0709
2015 Mustang Bracket WED3006 (I think they are Wedge brackets)

I know I need to get some carpet to cover the open spots.

sicpuppy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2017 Challenger Hellcat
You could have someone look to see if you could cut the floor pan around the seat sliders and lower the pan by a couple of inches and have wedges welded in to add the clearance you need.

That way you can keep all the original functions and could be cheaper than replacing the seat.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
I'm in the process of picking up a 2019 and I've noticed the head bumping issue. I've owned 3 s197 cars and never had to deal with this but it could be a problem because I like to keep the back of the seat almost straight up. Does the Base cars have this issue or is it just the Premium package ?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I ended up pulling out the factory seat and putting in a Recaro seat, no heating, no cooling, no power anything. It ended dropping the seat 3-4 inches and still have seat track adjustment. Just needs to add resistors for air bags fault. I can now wear a helmet with no issues, now my eyeliner is below the rearview mirror which helps. Only did the driver side or you need to add the sensor for the passenger.
IMG_0971.jpg
With 3" or more seat lowering, have you also lowered or considered lowering the steering column? Having it aimed anywhere from eye-level up to the top of your head hardly sounds like a good idea from an ergonomic standpoint.

Norm

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
On a sort-of related topic, for "sports coupes" Mustangs are pretty tall & upright cars. They're easy to get into and out of, have great trunk space, the rear seats can work in a pinch, or for kids......they can be used as normal cars for the most part. And the driving position is pretty tall.

I've recently been shopping Corvettes.....

They're like toy, 2/3rds scale toy cars. Suuuuuuper low, super narrow, not at all like the easy to live with Mustang.
Sponsored