Sponsored

Lowering driver seat

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
You could have someone look to see if you could cut the floor pan around the seat sliders and lower the pan by a couple of inches and have wedges welded in to add the clearance you need.

That way you can keep all the original functions and could be cheaper than replacing the seat.
Cutting up the floor is not a minor (or cheap) thing to do.

I had my fabricator look at cutting up the stock seat mount or fabbing a custom mount that retained the stock adjusters, sliders, and Seat in my Focus ST. His conclusion was that with all the junk in the trunk of the stock seats, 1" was about all you could gain. Hardly worth the effort. I should be able to gain 3-4" with aftermarket seats and mount. So much for staying GS legal.
Sponsored

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic, PP1, 401A, MR, VE, A10, shaker audio
With 3" or more seat lowering, have you also lowered or considered lowering the steering column? Having it aimed anywhere from eye-level up to the top of your head hardly sounds like a good idea from an ergonomic standpoint.

Norm
It is adjustable and has been fine

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
Cutting up the floor is not a minor (or cheap) thing to do.

I had my fabricator look at cutting up the stock seat mount or fabbing a custom mount that retained the stock adjusters, sliders, and Seat in my Focus ST. His conclusion was that with all the junk in the trunk of the stock seats, 1" was about all you could gain. Hardly worth the effort. I should be able to gain 3-4" with aftermarket seats and mount. So much for staying GS legal.
Keeping the stock seat was not an option. All the adjustment motors and heating and cooling devices just take up too much room. Never tried a base model to see how it was.

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
As others have said that's weird that you're "only" 6'1 and experiencing that issue, unless you're all torso and no legs. I'm 6'5 and don't have an issue in my mustang. I was actually surprised by how much more room my S550 has when compared to my my old 08 and '14 S197s. In those, I had to have the seat all the way down and all the way back to fit. If I put my seat all the way back in my s550, the pedals are actually too far, which is an absolute rarity for me. And I've taken some baaaaad dips/humps and have yet to hit my head on the ceiling. Then again, maybe it depends on how straight you keep your seat up as well. I personally do not like having my seat straight up (due to a shitty back) so that may give you a few extra inches if sitting up straight. Now my C7 Z06 on the other hand is a completely different story. I fit........ but I can feel my hair constantly rubbing the roof, which is why I try to roll with the targa top off as much as I can. And I have everything as far back and lowered as possible.

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
No, he's right. These seats do NOT lower enough. For anyone of you who have taken this car on the track with leather or cloth seats, I bet you would benefit more if the seat could go a couple inches lower. I'm 5'10" 145 lbs and definitely don't have clearance issues, but more or less feel like I'm way too high up when that thing is chunked into a corner. My 13 FRS 10 Series had a manual lever that would allow you to lower the seat a crap ton and that was nice. I lower the steering wheel all the way down, am up far enough to where my arms fully extended past the steering wheel have a bend in my elbows when my wrists are resting on the steering wheel, and I just wish the seat could drop a couple of inches, because seating position is what gives you the most control!
110% agreed. I don't have the hitting my head issue either. But the seats are absolutely too high in a sports car. There should at least be the adjustability to sit lower, not an issue in the Camaro.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Most people fit OK or they don't buy the car. Then they strap on a helmet, and no longer fit without laying the seat down & ruining the driving position. It is kind of important to be able to reach the steering wheel, shifter, and not have your knees jammed into the dash at the track. Especially at a road course.

But I was taller at 6'4" sitting down than my 6'6" dad. Long torso folks have a lot more headroom issues regardless of height.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
6'4", 200#. Plenty of headroom with the seat up higher. Sounds like seatbelts are in your future. If you're strapped down, you can't bounce.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I installed some spacers on the front two bolts to angle the seat back some. Been pretty happy with it so far. I am tall with longer legs so I prefer to have the base of the seat angled back which allows me to sit under the steering wheel more. Hard to describe lol.

Sponsored

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
^ This. And don't forget the forward-positioned headrest conflict with helmet.
Had that problem in my 2012 and 2018 before I changed the seat. Had to removed the headrest and flip it around.

1Silver1Red

V6'ing And Dealing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
For those commenting about how you have plenty of room, please stop. Some of us do not have enough space and this thread should be filled with discussion about potential solutions. You are not helping anyone by saying your situation is fine. Congratulations, you're short enough, now move on.
Thank You. I'm only 5'10, and feel that I sit up too high. I had no issues with my old S197.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd have liked the seat to be like 1" lower, if possible, to feel more like I'm in the car, and not on top of it (ha ha). But I fit fine at 5'10", so it's just a matter of getting used to the minivan-like driving position :D. The best driving position belonged to my ex-2016 Porsche, and next the Vettes. But unlike others here, I know this car is not a sports car, but a GT (grand touring) car, and we just have to get used to its more 'relaxed' driving position. Having said that, I was expecting a bus-like driving position, after reading many complaints about that, but was pleasantly surprised it was better than I expected, so I'm fine with it after 999.7 miles so far :).

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
For those commenting about how you have plenty of room, please stop. Some of us do not have enough space and this thread should be filled with discussion about potential solutions. You are not helping anyone by saying your situation is fine. Congratulations, you're short enough, now move on.
I'm late to the party, but well said. It's more bothersome when people post their heights. I mean, I don't know about you, but I'm not able to stand in a car. If anything, people should post their seating height.

I ended up pulling out the factory seat and putting in a Recaro seat, no heating, no cooling, no power anything. It ended dropping the seat 3-4 inches and still have seat track adjustment. Just needs to add resistors for air bags fault. I can now wear a helmet with no issues, now my eyeliner is below the rearview mirror which helps. Only did the driver side or you need to add the sensor for the passenger.
IMG_0971.jpg
I did the same except I went with a corbeau evolution x seat. Best investment ever. If i bolt the seat to the floor board, i lose leg room but man, i can barely see over the steering wheel and it's great! I kept the sliders on though for the leg room which are about 1.5" tall but it's still way better than stock.

I'm in the process of picking up a 2019 and I've noticed the head bumping issue. I've owned 3 s197 cars and never had to deal with this but it could be a problem because I like to keep the back of the seat almost straight up. Does the Base cars have this issue or is it just the Premium package ?
I'm a bit late, but the base cars did have a bit of extra headroom. But these cars are noticeably lacking in headroom compared to the s197.

I'd have liked the seat to be like 1" lower, if possible, to feel more like I'm in the car, and not on top of it (ha ha). But I fit fine at 5'10", so it's just a matter of getting used to the minivan-like driving position :D. The best driving position belonged to my ex-2016 Porsche, and next the Vettes. But unlike others here, I know this car is not a sports car, but a GT (grand touring) car, and we just have to get used to its more 'relaxed' driving position. Having said that, I was expecting a bus-like driving position, after reading many complaints about that, but was pleasantly surprised it was better than I expected, so I'm fine with it after 999.7 miles so far :).
Check out corbeau. Cheap pricing and I have no complaints so far over the last year. I picked the evolution x because it was the lowest seating with a base cushion of 2.5" in thickness. They have other seats with additional comfort in the base cushion that are anywhere from 3.5-4" thick if you only need a little bit more headroom. Depending on where you live, you can always check to see if there is a place with seats so you can test them out beforehand.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
I usually hate being a little guy, but not for this. I got my driver seat as high as it will go. Otherwise I can't see the hood.
Sponsored