Sponsored

Lowering driver seat

S550Josh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18GT Premium (On order)
I've been driving my 18 around for a bit now and I love it, but there is one thing I can't stand. When I go over a bump my head hits the roof. I have my sear lowered all the way and even leaned back a bit. I'm thinking about getting a different seat or something but didn't know if they sat the same as stock. I need it to be about 1 or 2 inches lower.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I've been driving my 18 around for a bit now and I love it, but there is one thing I can't stand. When I go over a bump my head hits the roof. I have my sear lowered all the way and even leaned back a bit. I'm thinking about getting a different seat or something but didn't know if they sat the same as stock. I need it to be about 1 or 2 inches lower.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Damn, how tall are you? I'm 6'3" and well over 250# and have plenty of headroom. I have a full hand width of clearance, but my legs are a little longer than my torso. You must be the opposite or there is something under the seat limiting it's travel.:headbonk:

Kansas GT

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Damn, how tall are you? I'm 6'3" and well over 250# and have plenty of headroom. I have a full hand width of clearance, but my legs are a little longer than my torso. You must be the opposite or there is something under the seat limiting it's travel.:headbonk:
My thoughts as well! I have a ton of legroom and about 2.5" of headroom. I'm 6'7" and around 230#.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Your choice is aftermarket seats with no airbags or getting your stock seat mount custom fabricated to lower them.

Currently running aftermarket Recaros, and even with those I used customs fab mount on the drivers side to get them lower. 2.5 or 3" lower that stock. I can now wear a helmet without compromising my driving position.

Sponsored

mulage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Black, w/ Performance Pack
i feel the same way about the seat, makes no sense having the seat this damn high in a sports car

do you have pics of the aftermarket recaros ?

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
i feel the same way about the seat, makes no sense having the seat this damn high in a sports car

do you have pics of the aftermarket recaros ?
There is no reason to sit lower than necessary to have a couple inches over your head (or helmet clearance if you track it). I would think the seat was engineered with enough adjustment for a 98th percentile human. OP - how tall are you? How fast are you going over those bumps?

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic, PP1, 401A, MR, VE, A10, shaker audio
Your choice is aftermarket seats with no airbags or getting your stock seat mount custom fabricated to lower them.

Currently running aftermarket Recaros, and even with those I used customs fab mount on the drivers side to get them lower. 2.5 or 3" lower that stock. I can now wear a helmet without compromising my driving position.
Did you custom fab the factory seat mounts or were they mounts specifically for the Recaros?
How much could you get with just the seat mounts, I really don't want to change the seats? I am only 6'2" but with a very tall torso and my helmet is up against the roof.

Thanks

OP
OP

S550Josh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18GT Premium (On order)
I'm only 6'1" lol

In my 2012 mustang I never had this issue. Went down plenty far. In that car it was not leather or didn't have power seats. I was thinking maybe that was it. In my wives Escape its the same thing, I'm always hitting my head on the roof.

OP
OP

S550Josh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18GT Premium (On order)
There is no reason to sit lower than necessary to have a couple inches over your head (or helmet clearance if you track it). I would think the seat was engineered with enough adjustment for a 98th percentile human. OP - how tall are you? How fast are you going over those bumps?
I'm only 6'1". There are a few good humps on my way to classes during the week on the highway going about 60. Even when I just sit in the car I feel like I sit way higher then my other Mustangs. It just doesn't feel right to me idk haha

Sponsored

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
I'm only 6'1" lol

In my 2012 mustang I never had this issue. Went down plenty far. In that car it was not leather or didn't have power seats. I was thinking maybe that was it. In my wives Escape its the same thing, I'm always hitting my head on the roof.
I also had a 2012 GT Premium (leather, power seat.) and never had the same issue as my 2018 GT and head hitting the roof.

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
Did you custom fab the factory seat mounts or were they mounts specifically for the Recaros?
How much could you get with just the seat mounts, I really don't want to change the seats? I am only 6'2" but with a very tall torso and my helmet is up against the roof.

Thanks
I bought a custom bracket to mount my Recaro. It's made by a company called Wedge Engineering, and fits like a glove. It's made for the Recaro slider mechanism. I think it was $100. Not sure how much lower my Recaro w/the slider is than the stock seat, but I'd guess at least an inch, maybe a bit more.

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
I bought a custom bracket to mount my Recaro. It's made by a company called Wedge Engineering, and fits like a glove. It's made for the Recaro slider mechanism. I think it was $100. Not sure how much lower my Recaro w/the slider is than the stock seat, but I'd guess at least an inch, maybe a bit more.
Thanks, I will take a look at them

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks
You sure you have the seat all the way down? I'm 6'1 but only a 31" inseam, so a pretty tall torso also. I have about 4" of clearance without a helmet. Helmet is very close to the headliner but not rubbing.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I'm thinking you don't have the seat set right. 6'2' here and I have plenty of headroom.
Sponsored