Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
if you stomp it to the floor at 2000 rpms in second it should kick down to first gear. my 2015 did. i got a 2017 now with 3.55 gears now it revs quicker.
I think for the daily driver 3.55 auto would be perfect. I wonder what's needed to swap gears. But I do enjoy the top speed of the 3.15s if I need to. And highway driving I can cruise in 5th at 2000-2500 RPMs and very easy to pass.

Granted I rarely if ever floor it at 2000 RPMs, but if I suddenly want to give it more gas it does feel slower to react.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Lets face it, the coyote 5.0 just isn't a low end torque monster.
I tend to agree. Although low end torque monster would be a blast - frankly I love how it comes alive at high RPMs. The exhaust gets really raspy and the car just pulls all the way. I'd rather an engine that comes alive instead of one that comes on quick and then drops off and dies.

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
I think for the daily driver 3.55 auto would be perfect. I wonder what's needed to swap gears. But I do enjoy the top speed of the 3.15s if I need to. And highway driving I can cruise in 5th at 2000-2500 RPMs and very easy to pass.

Granted I rarely if ever floor it at 2000 RPMs, but if I suddenly want to give it more gas it does feel slower to react.
Personally I tried all the standard auto gear ratios and didn't feel much difference down low. Maybe my butt dyno is off or something idk. If your really considering swapping gears I would test drive one first.

Afterwords if you like the feel then you can probably buy a kit from American muscle or Ford performance. You can also probably call the dealership and ask them for pricing as that would be your highest quote. This way you a ballpark to see if everything is within budget range.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Personally I tried all the standard auto gear ratios and didn't feel much difference down low. Maybe my butt dyno is off or something idk. If your really considering swapping gears I would test drive one first.

Afterwords if you like the feel then you can probably buy a kit from American muscle or Ford performance. You can also probably call the dealership and ask them for pricing as that would be your highest quote. This way you a ballpark to see if everything is within budget range.
It's not that simple just swapping gears. H would need a whole new carrier.

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
I tend to agree. Although low end torque monster would be a blast - frankly I love how it comes alive at high RPMs. The exhaust gets really raspy and the car just pulls all the way. I'd rather an engine that comes alive instead of one that comes on quick and then drops off and dies.
Totally agree with you, I rather have a power that is more linear and gradual, builds up the excitement :D

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

The best and least tear up way would be get a loaded pumpkin with the 3.55 gears (or 3.73 with the great-for-handling torsen). You have a different diff housing from the rest of the gear options so you can't just do gears.

racered_ppGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
i think i expected to much coming to the 5.0, always hearing about how good they were and it was great at first, now im FBO and tuned besides an IM and the car doesnt feel any different than stock on my butt dyno, idk if im just used to it or what, im actually going to get it on the dyno to see if for some reason im not putting out the power i should be because it feels slow(not that ive had very fast cars to compare it to, all my old cars were just 4cyl turbo cars), the speedo climbs fast but it just FEELS like im going nowhere :lol: the car feels faster when i have it on my ghost cam tune for some reason as well:shrug: idk i think im losin it

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
  1. 5 liters is neither a big motor, nor a small one.
  2. The car weighs ~3800 lbs.
  3. Tunes do almost nothing down at 2000 rpm, where the acceleration may begin. (Compare before after curves to see how they overlay at the left end of the scale.)

But the gear ratio mechanically assists torque at the low end, to get the engine revs to increase faster. So while the tune may not help at 2k, a 3.55 or 3.73 diff will.

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette

Go buy a car with a push rod engine? People really have no idea what they are buying.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The auto 3.15 gears actually have a very short first gear so it can accelerate very fast. But low RPM is a higher gear is a little bit less of that acceleration. The 3.15 gears aren't the dog everyone makes them out to be. Plus 115 mph at the end of 3rd ain't too bad.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
The auto 3.15 gears actually have a very short first gear so it can accelerate very fast. But low RPM is a higher gear is a little bit less of that acceleration. The 3.15 gears aren't the dog everyone makes them out to be. Plus 115 mph at the end of 3rd ain't too bad.
Agreed. I admit that I am still a little cautious flooring it on the street in 1st. <insert_cars_and_coffee_fail_here>

(I'm more of a roady than a draggie. :lol:)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's near the top of 4th for me with 3.31 :lol:

3.55 is ~13% more torque to the wheels at any RPM, somewhere in the range of what a good tune is giving you over stock, for perspective.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You have an auto, so you don't have to worry about anything. Regardless of where you are currently RPM wise, if you go WOT the computer will kick down to the proper gear/RPM for acceleration based on a few other parameters.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
If you are flooring below 2000rpm, you are driving it wrong.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
i think i expected to much coming to the 5.0, always hearing about how good they were and it was great at first, now im FBO and tuned besides an IM and the car doesnt feel any different than stock on my butt dyno, idk if im just used to it or what, im actually going to get it on the dyno to see if for some reason im not putting out the power i should be because it feels slow(not that ive had very fast cars to compare it to, all my old cars were just 4cyl turbo cars), the speedo climbs fast but it just FEELS like im going nowhere :lol: the car feels faster when i have it on my ghost cam tune for some reason as well:shrug: idk i think im losin it
I'm so glad it wasn't just me. I feel the exact same way.
Sponsored