Darren
Vehicle(s)
2011 California Special GT

VelR5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 5.0, 2022 Mustang GT
Well, gentlemen.... decided to take the car to work this morning. 62 degrees... DA was amazing. Running the car without the insert and cut out carbon filter housing. Mined you, I'm tuned on E85.

Car would sputter on initial tip-in on throttle. At one particular stop light the car stalled.

That being said... removing everything DOES indeed free up ALOT on air movement and I'm asking my tuner as to what I need to log to get the computer to be able to compensate for the volume of air now being able to move.
Here's my take. I would not pull the insert unless you are being tuned on a dyno. That honeycomb will do wonders for drivability. More than likely you aren't getting a lot more air, but not having the honeycomb is throwing the calibration off with turbulent air.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you have the ability log your short and long term fuel trims along with MAF period

OP
OP
theslerg

theslerg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2011 California Special GT
Here's my take. I would not pull the insert unless you are being tuned on a dyno. That honeycomb will do wonders for drivability. More than likely you aren't getting a lot more air, but not having the honeycomb is throwing the calibration off with turbulent air.
Thing is.... I did drive it yesterday without any noticeable problems. But on you comment.. I'm sure your correct.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Yeah, I'd be skeptical of removing the grid by the MAF. It must serve some purpose otherwise it wouldn't be there and it doesn't look like mutch of a restriction. Also, the MAF is expecting a set diameter/surface area where it measures so removing the grid may disrupt it. The carbon filter removal, that looks like the thing to target.

Sponsored

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
So, if you had say a 2018 OEM intake, could you just switch out the top cover with the 2022?

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
So, if you had say a 2018 OEM intake, could you just switch out the top cover with the 2022?
Earlier in the tread someone swaped out the 22 for a 20 and removed the smaller filter in the earlier years with no issues.

I think what others are getting at is removing the maf insert with the honeycomb changes the diameter of the MAF tube it also changes the airflow characteristics. Doing either of those has been an issue on mustangs for years.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
There's a separate thread just on this tune where there's more detail but the short version is Ford Performance said they were working on it but now it seems they are claiming there will be no support for the 22.
Seems like this ROUSH PERFORMANCE MUSTANG PERFORMANCE PAC - LEVEL 2 could be an option to eliminate the '22' restrictions and be able to keep a power train warranty?

Roush Performance Mustang Performance Pac - Level 2 - 422114 | Levittown Ford (levittownfordparts.com)

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
you might be able to get away with the intake and exhaust. But the tune is a red flag for powertrain warranty.
It may be through Rousch but they at least list this - 3 year/36,000 mile limited powertrain warranty

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
you might be able to get away with the intake and exhaust. But the tune is a red flag for powertrain warranty.
Roush and FRP both have replacement warranties that step in for your factory one. The problem is '22 compatibility, with a different base tune these canned tunes are not likely to work and their CARB certification is not applicable if you need that. Many items are listing '22 compatibility but I question whether or not it has been tested

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Roush and FRP both have replacement warranties that step in for your factory one. The problem is '22 compatibility, with a different base tune these canned tunes are not likely to work and their CARB certification is not applicable if you need that. Many items are listing '22 compatibility but I question whether or not it has been tested
It may be through Rousch but they at least list this - 3 year/36,000 mile limited powertrain warranty
right, but your factory warranty might be gone. Important for people to understand there is a difference.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
You would think that with it almost being September that they wouldn't still be listing the kit as being compatible with '22' if the tune wouldn't work but who knows. Hard to believe that it wouldn't have been tried by someone at this point.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
You would think that with it almost being September that they wouldn't still be listing the kit as being compatible with '22' if the tune wouldn't work but who knows. Hard to believe that it wouldn't have been tried by someone at this point.
There aren't a lot of '22s out there. I ordered mine in March and I'm still waiting. I can't imagine production numbers will be that high.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
There aren't a lot of '22s out there. I ordered mine in March and I'm still waiting. I can't imagine production numbers will be that high.
Yeah, I guess I just got lucky with stumbling on mine at a dealership earlier this year because it sure wasn't like there were many on lots to choose from.
Sponsored