Sponsored

Lockdown boredom already?

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
We will have to agree to disagree on that one then!

ACC, Digital dash, Improved rear suspension, magneride, active exhaust etc etc - I'm sure you know the spec differences post 2018. At least they ditched the cart springs with the S550. Important to me but maybe not to you.

The 2020 cars have shoddy build quality in places and the 2015's sure weren't any better.

Broken gearboxes, corroding bonnets, woeful paint finish, panel gaps that you can drive a bus through assuming there is a gap and they don't just scrape against each other. Plenty on this forum as examples.

I love my Mustang but I am not blind to the faults (and I have been lucky with the build quality on mine)
Oh wow a digital dash, jeez amazing. I've read comments here of people saying magneride is over rated and complete waste of money. Active exhaust, just buy a replacement one. If you think this is worth the circa ÂŁ7k extra then clearly you are the dream audience for the marketing department. It sounds like a comfortable Jag or Audi stuffed full of tech would be more suitable in your retirement years.

You're always going to hear the bad stories no matter which manufacturer forum you go one. If Ford had that many issues with build quality they would not offer the 5 year warranty at next to peanuts. Your average BMW, Audi whatever is always at or near the bottom of reliability ratings and warranty extensions past the 3 year period are a small fortune.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Oh wow a digital dash, jeez amazing. I've read comments here of people saying magneride is over rated and complete waste of money. Active exhaust, just buy a replacement one. If you think this is worth the circa ÂŁ7k extra then clearly you are the dream audience for the marketing department. It sounds like a comfortable Jag or Audi stuffed full of tech would be more suitable in your retirement years.

You're always going to hear the bad stories no matter which manufacturer forum you go one. If Ford had that many issues with build quality they would not offer the 5 year warranty at next to peanuts. Your average BMW, Audi whatever is always at or near the bottom of reliability ratings and warranty extensions past the 3 year period are a small fortune.
Ford are far from top when it comes to warranty work and many offer MUCH better warranties for free so they are not that confident!

You really don't have to go far on here to see clear evidence of poor build quality, especially on earlier S550 cars. The pictures of shoddy paintwork, poorly fitted panels are everywhere. I can assure you Valencia / Cologne built cars DO NOT have these problems. Mondeo's, Kuga's, (Valencia) Fiesta's (Cologne) churned out in huge numbers with much better quality. You will note I am not comparing with BMW or Audi but with Ford themselves.

Re your other comments - plenty here and elsewhere about how Magneride transforms the car and having driven both I would only have a Magneride car. I chose the car I bought because it is what I wanted, Ford produced the car I wanted. If you don't want it then don't buy it. Don't waste your time trying to convince me what I do or don't want and then suggesting I am wrong choosing what I have. If Ford thought you were right they wouldn't have improved the Mustang in 2018 would they !

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I personally didn't find magnaride transformational but I did find the changes to 2018+ cars enough to swing me into changing my M2 for one. In 2015/16 the then GT didn't get my money as it just had too many compromises for ME. Didnt like the gauges (although i wasn;y hanckering for digital stuff either), exhaust not great, bonnet vents missing amongst a few other things which all tipped it over the edge for me.

Let me get on to the tech and finish as i dont understand some peoples comments regarding buy an Audi etc, the GT Mustang has tech, lets not pretend its some sort of stripped out back to basics car, it isnt, but the tech it has is just fairly low quality and the plastics used, materials are generally hard and scratchie. Some of the finish and fit is questionable in comparison to cars of a similar cost ive owned. Yes the V8 makes up for it to a point but 'go buy an Audi' being thrown about to anyone who dare question is a little short sighted.

My last 2 x BMW's one the original M135i and the M2 were both screwed together better and had better quality interiors and the minimal tech they had was of a higher quality, PRO Nav screen is a trillion times nicer than the low res sync 3 in the GT and as anyone knows neither a 1 or 2 series has a luxurious limo interior. 3 (fairly minor) faults in the GT in 12 months, none in either BMW over several years. Luck of the draw maybe or maybe not.

Love the GT its a fabulous full of character car, a rare breed but I am not going to defend it like some sort of GT fanboy.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In 2015/16 the then GT didn't get my money as it just had too many compromises for ME. Didnt like the gauges (although i wasn;y hanckering for digital stuff either), exhaust not great, bonnet vents missing amongst a few other things which all tipped it over the edge for me.
To me, by far the biggest flaw of the European 2015/2016 Mustangs were the horrible, disgusting DRLs implemented via the fog lamps, instead of the beautiful tri-bars that the Americans were getting. I could have forgiven it a lot of things, but those sorry, yellow abominations were more than I could stand. Literally, that was the thing that kept me from buying a Mustang back then.
But that was actually a good thing in the long run, because I ended up with a 2020 which is better in so many ways - and has the tri-bars as well. :)

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I personally didn't find magnaride transformational but I did find the changes to 2018+ cars enough to swing me into changing my M2 for one. In 2015/16 the then GT didn't get my money as it just had too many compromises for ME. Didnt like the gauges (although i wasn;y hanckering for digital stuff either), exhaust not great, bonnet vents missing amongst a few other things which all tipped it over the edge for me.

Let me get on to the tech and finish as i dont understand some peoples comments regarding buy an Audi etc, the GT Mustang has tech, lets not pretend its some sort of stripped out back to basics car, it isnt, but the tech it has is just fairly low quality and the plastics used, materials are generally hard and scratchie. Some of the finish and fit is questionable in comparison to cars of a similar cost ive owned. Yes the V8 makes up for it to a point but 'go buy an Audi' being thrown about to anyone who dare question is a little short sighted.

My last 2 x BMW's one the original M135i and the M2 were both screwed together better and had better quality interiors and the minimal tech they had was of a higher quality, PRO Nav screen is a trillion times nicer than the low res sync 3 in the GT and as anyone knows neither a 1 or 2 series has a luxurious limo interior. 3 (fairly minor) faults in the GT in 12 months, none in either BMW over several years. Luck of the draw maybe or maybe not.

Love the GT its a fabulous full of character car, a rare breed but I am not going to defend it like some sort of GT fanboy.
Agree with all of this.

Re Magneride - In standard it is really comfortable (better than non MR) and in Sport+ it is better controlled than the standard car. The fact you can have the best of both worlds on the same car at the flick of a switch swung it for me.

It does amuse me how in the US the Mustang is seen as having a high quality interior - they don't get out much over there !

Having said all I have, have you ever seen a Tesla, unbelievably bad build quality.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Agree with all of this.

Re Magneride - In standard it is really comfortable (better than non MR) and in Sport+ it is better controlled than the standard car. The fact you can have the best of both worlds on the same car at the flick of a switch swung it for me.
I have never found any form of adaptive suspension that transformational, however I appreciate that many people really rate it. Its a case of try both and if you like it go for it. I wouldnt say its a must have but then others seem to think it is.

[/QUOTE]
It does amuse me how in the US the Mustang is seen as having a high quality interior - they don't get out much over there !

Having said all I have, have you ever seen a Tesla, unbelievably bad build quality.
[/QUOTE]

There is no getting away from American built cars generally are that little bit cheaper in appearance but also cheaper to buy. I think the American's for the money 'they' pay for the GT can be happy with the interior in comparison to what they would need to spend to get in a car with similar performance from europe albeit with a nicer interior. Cheapest M car starts around $60k i believe.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dont waste your time trying to convince me what I do or don't want and then suggesting I am wrong choosing what I have. If Ford thought you were right they wouldn't have improved the Mustang in 2018 would they !
Yes and don't waste your time and mine having to read your nonsense. If I wanted to spend another ÂŁ7k on gimmicks, engine problems such as the tick issue and a drowsy/dropey front end I would have got the 18 version.
Ford needed to increase the price of the Mustang so threw in a few gimmicks on the 18 to try and warrant the increase.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You buy a Mustang for the engine, looks and sound. You don't buy one for the interior or tech. Otherwise they would have to spend less on the engine or increase the price. I really couldn't care less about the plastic interior and not having a digital dash.

Silver Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
GT 5.0 mannual
You buy a Mustang for the engine, looks and sound. You don't buy one for the interior or tech. Otherwise they would have to spend less on the engine or increase the price. I really couldn't care less about the plastic interior and not having a digital dash.
“You buy a Mustang for the engine “ I agree but only if it’s the V8 otherwise it’s strawberries without the cream!

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Yes and don't waste your time and mine having to read your nonsense. If I wanted to spend another ÂŁ7k on gimmicks, engine problems such as the tick issue and a drowsy/dropey front end I would have got the 18 version.
Ford needed to increase the price of the Mustang so threw in a few gimmicks on the 18 to try and warrant the increase.
You don't have to waste any of your precious time reading anything on here so chill! Just because it doesn't align with your views doesn't make it nonsense - it makes it a difference of opinion. Mine is just as valid as yours.

Clearly Ford don't agree with you as they facelifted the car in 2018, luckily they know their market and hence I bought one. They even build them a bit better post facelift so they are learning there too.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Partly yes, but not the only reasons. Mine is a daily driver so needs to be more than a one trick pony.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
i think some folks on here need a hug . You'll have to wait, get a ticket and wait in line. It's gonna be a long cold winter. Reminds me - i must find that CD..

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I agree partly because if I didn't I wouldn't own one. Doesn't mean it couldn't be better though for very little. BMW managed to use the mighty fine inline 6 n55/b58/s55 engine in ÂŁ30k-45k cars and still managed to use decent materials and a screwdriver that worked.

Anyway enough from me.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Frankly, I don't quite get why we should be expected to pay fifty thousand euros just for the engine and looks. I don't see why a €20K Focus can have lots of extras and a build quality to die for, while a €50K Mustang must be forgiven for its lousy build quality and short list of options on the grounds that it has a great engine.
How much can a V8 cost? Is an engine block with eight holes ten times more expensive than one with four? Are four extra pistons and four extra sets of valves and four extra spark plugs worth their weight in gold? How much is a standalone Coyote engine? $10K perhaps? So the remaining 40K must account for the car itself, musn't it? So why wouldn't it be fair to expect at least the same level of quality as we would from a €30K European model?

Let's remove the engine from the equation. Let's look at a manual Ecoboost. A 2.3 litre turbocharged straight-four, similar to what the other Ford models have. No Brembo brakes, no fancy gearbox, no nothing. And yet it's noticeably more expensive than most of Ford's European models, with less options and a poorer build quality. Where's the logic in that?
OK, I have no problem paying extra for a bit of exclusivity. But then don't scrimp on the options and build quality and say "the car is cheap, you're paying for the engine". No, it's not cheap, and I'm not paying €50K for an engine.
Sponsored

Last edited: