Sponsored

Limp Mode on the Track

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
So my concern is...can the Gt350 handle 90+ degree temps at 85 MPH for extended travel (tank of gas)? I'm from Texas and that's a typical road trip.

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP
Yes it will be fine. Sustained road course track use is an entirely different beast - that's where the Tech pack is having some difficulty. If you want to hit some tracks retrofit some extra cooling like the Track Pack and it will be solved.
Sponsored

_Laz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, Tech
So my concern is...can the Gt350 handle 90+ degree temps at 85 MPH for extended travel (tank of gas)? I'm from Texas and that's a typical road trip.

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package Build January, ETA March (US Port), Germany Apr, under MSRP
This is my concern as well in SoCal.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
While I understand the points defending Ford I don't agree. Many of the current owners orders were already locked into their order before the additional information about the recommended coolers became available. Plus the majority of dealers have been buying Tech Packs leaving very little choice for buyers. The vague 15 to 20 minutes of track use for Tech and Base cars didn't help either. I doubt many people thought that meant on a nice 65 degree day since OEMs normally test in extreme conditions. Hopefully Ford will step up with some cooling alternatives for Tech and Base buyers.
s/hundred/thousand/
I have my doubts on that, I don't think Ford Canada is going to be setting the base 17 gt350 msrp any less than what the 16 base price plus the track pack cost. I think the 17 base price up here will be at least 71 to 72k CDN. I think the cheapest 350 will still be the 16 base without the magnetic shocks. If you want the magnetic shocks then i would really consider a 17. Almost wish i did, but the trade off would be not having the car for 9 extra months or so.

I'm sure there will be a transmission and differential cooler option available at some time, hopefully less then 1500 or so.
people should have known, yada yada,
its in the manual, yada yada

well on a very hard to get car it was not even remotely communicated the tech mode (2016)gets a gimped tranny that cannot accept the factory cooling system, way to shit on yourself ford,

learned nothing from the zo6 auto tranny heat issues

most track capable car, oh wait they did not bother to put an asterisks on the adds. they also didnt bother to mention in the manual you were on your own to find a tranny cooling system.

now to make it better the folks that supported them for 2016, and bought the tech pack, like me ad it wad the only car available to me, are stuck.

way to save a buck, it cost you a 2017 Raptor sale.
Well stated. I feel just like you do and feel really sick after reading these posts. Just started thinking about planning my track days only to find out the car is going to crap out. Sure hope someone finds a solution. Ford you let us down.:shrug:
What's the plan?
Let's start by sending letters to the editors of major auto magazines stating our concerns about the GT350 not be track worthy. Ford will pick up on this. How about starting with Road & Track and Car & Driver.
I agree and I can't blame you for considering a 2017. Frankly, I'm also upset about the track pack spoiler becoming standard. I think Ford should at a minimum sell the parts needed to bring the 2015 and 2016 tech cars up to good track usability at reasonable prices. For instance, the track pack spoiler is ~$1300 unpainted. That is a stupid high price. If Ford sold it for $400 painted, then I could take care of installation myself, that would be acceptable. The same with the coolers, pumps and lines, etc. They should at a minimum be priced in line with similar aftermarket items if we end up having to buy them and install them ourselves or pay someone to do it. I don't care if Ford needs a VIN number for that pricing or not, but paying 3x or 4x higher prices for the parts than what they should be is ridiculous - especially when it's Ford's error. I understand - anyone can make a mistake - but do what you can to make it right.

Agree 100%

That's a reasonable way to go forward in my opinion.
I'd be on board with supporting a unified approaching of ford for a solution.

I dont even care if they make it public. if they can track down owners for supplemental gift kit things, they can reach out to everyone privately as well.

In the worst case, i would like ford to put in writing that warranties will be honored should tech pack owners install aftermarket coolers, if they choose to not offer us a solution.

I will gladly pay for a reasonable price for retrofitting trans and dif coolers on my car. I would really prefer to not have to buy a new transmission though.

This is my concern as well in SoCal.

Oh right guys, so who is interested in starting a thread / poll to see how many owners and potential future owners of 16 base and tech cars feels that we should raise our voice to Ford performance and express our concerns about the cooling issues some have had during short track session !

I'm pretty sure Ford has people reading these threads , and get feedback from it.
So NOW is the time to stand together. Anyone knows how to set up a POLL ?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Oh right guys, so who is interested in starting a thread / poll to see how many owners and potential future owners of 16 base and tech cars feels that we should raise our voice to Ford performance and express our concerns about the cooling issues some have had during short track session !

I'm pretty sure Ford has people reading these threads , and get feedback from it.
So NOW is the time to stand together. Anyone knows how to set up a POLL ?
Interested.

Also, after a fair amount of input has been collected, I would prefer to proactively forward it to Ford, rather than waiting on them to read the forum.

Either way, let's roll.

Sponsored

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
What's the plan?
The day before this thread started I spoke with Mike G. At FP and told him I foresee this being a big issue for Ford. Basically long story short he said that if we can send him some him some logged data of this happening to more than one vehicle preferably, he will escalate the situation and present the issue to higher up's.

I saw a post that one of the guys that had this issue has already had his dealer send this info to Ford Performance. I'm now thinking it may be a good idea to just send a link to this thread to Mike and hope it makes it to the right person.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The day before this thread started I spoke with Mike G. At FP and told him I foresee this being a big issue for Ford. Basically long story short he said that if we can send him some him some logged data of this happening to more than one vehicle preferably, he will escalate the situation and present the issue to higher up's.

I saw a post that one of the guys that had this issue has already had his dealer send this info to Ford Performance. I'm now thinking it may be a good idea to just send a link to this thread to Mike and hope it makes it to the right person.
Link to related thread you mentioned is below. Recommend sending both.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32807

SVTDSM

@Serpent_Stangs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Also I've decided I'll be trading mine in for a '17.

I know that sounds crazy since I just got my '16 but the plan all along was to buy a tech pack and add everything from the track pack. Plus I really wanted Recaros also. So for maybe a little more than what I was going to spend on seats, coolers, stunt tower brace, and spoiler I'll just get a '17 with electronics package. Done...

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Ok right then, so where do we go from here !

Set up a poll to see who is having cooling issues , or general thread about our concerns with said cooling issue .

Ford will want data from dealears , so it means we need to hear from those who are actually tracking their tech/base cars and are going into limp mode.

Don't have my car, so i'm not going to be one of those.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't expect ford to do anything for free, but if they could offer a warranty on the coolers and not void your manufacture warranty if you use Ford Performance parts.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Don't despair this could work.... look at GM Performance, they already released a secondary radiator for the C7 backed with warranty.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have an R and don't have these issues. That said I would support forum
members taking this to Ford, because I think they should offer a reasonable fix.
I hope this not only solves this, but helps them look at these things in the future.
If its coolers option at very reasonable price or warranty for those who do after market products, whatever. I will vote, sign, or support in anyway I can.

Edit: as long as it is professional/ sensible approach.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I think Ford should offer a trans & diff cooler retrofit kits to buy for those who bought Base & Tech cars, especially since its appears to be standard equipment on 17 cars.

However I think Ford was pretty up front and clear that if you intend on tracking the car, buy a Track/R or install coolers. The base 350 is a heck of a deal and wouldn't be that cheap with the extra coolers. Their only "fault" is for not offering a tech pack with coolers as an option.

LindsayEOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Don't despair this could work.... look at GM Performance, they already released a secondary radiator for the C7 backed with warranty.
They actually did this? My C7 Z51 overheated just driving down the damn interstate in summer. Granted, Texas does get hot but cruising at 75-80 mph should not overheat any modern car. This is the main reason I sold my C7.
Sponsored