Sponsored

Limp Mode on the Track

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not a huge deal honestly, a large majority of the cars (all configs) won't make it the track anyway.
Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Not a huge deal honestly, a large majority of the cars (all configs) won't make it the track anyway.
So true... just like other highly desirable cars out there. Not many make it to the track... and even moreso not many go to the track regularly/repeatedly year after year. Similar to the Porsche GT4/GT3/GT3RS cars.... most of them sit in a garage collecting dust, get leisurely driven occasionally, and will never see the track nor run hard at the track.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I agree. Probably more will see track use than a GTPP, but there still will be a solid 5-700 I'd bet that hit the track that aren't cooled. They paid good money to essentially only be able to effectively use half to 2/3rds of their track time.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Overheating issues I have had good luck on not encountering them.... so has Allen and Sean (e.g. snorman9 on yt) which are much more faster & advanced C7 Z06 track rats than me. Sean runs 2:18s consistently at Sebring in his stock Z06 and that is blazingly fast. Although I did recently encountered A/F related DTC's which put me into reduced power... ugh.

Looking forward at least for MY2017, the GT350's will now come with all coolers on board. So even for infrequent track'ers, it'll help the car last a whole HPDE session after session w/o loss of power due to high trans and/or diff temps.
2:18s as in more than 1 in a row? Was it a manual or automatic? I read recently an auto couldn't even do 1 lap at Sebring without dropping boost and power.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
2:18s as in more than 1 in a row? Was it a manual or automatic? I read recently an auto couldn't even do 1 lap at Sebring without dropping boost and power.
That was his fastest IIRC, automatic Z06 on Cup 2 tires... typically he clocks in the low 2:20's range. Then again Sean is an experienced long time track rat.

Here's one at Sebring:
[ame]

He's pretty quick at Rolex Daytona too. More vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Snorman9/videos?view=0&shelf_id=0&sort=dd

Sponsored

1LEThumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Boss in our shop car doing cooling system tests.

Fastest lap of the session.

That was on Super Sports....next quickest time I have seen from a customer is a 1.21:2 on Hoosier R7's.

MSR Cresson TX

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
While I understand the points defending Ford I don't agree. Many of the current owners orders were already locked into their order before the additional information about the recommended coolers became available. Plus the majority of dealers have been buying Tech Packs leaving very little choice for buyers. The vague 15 to 20 minutes of track use for Tech and Base cars didn't help either. I doubt many people thought that meant on a nice 65 degree day since OEMs normally test in extreme conditions. Hopefully Ford will step up with some cooling alternatives for Tech and Base buyers.

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
While I understand the points defending Ford I don't agree. Many of the current owners orders were already locked into their order before the additional information about the recommended coolers became available. Plus the majority of dealers have been buying Tech Packs leaving very little choice for buyers. The vague 15 to 20 minutes of track use for Tech and Base cars didn't help either. I doubt many people thought that meant on a nice 65 degree day since normally OEM test in extreme conditions. Hopefully Ford will step up with some cooling alternatives for Tech and Base buyers.
I'm sure it won't be a big deal in the end. When I originally decided I had to have the tech pack, I knew there was a chance I'd end up spending a few hundred on coolers.

It was nice and dry today and I drove the car to work. Really made my day! It's been a blast having it - even through the Minnesota winter. I can't wait for another month or two when I can put the summer tires back on it.

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
2:18 in a street car is haulin ass at Sebring.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I'm sure it won't be a big deal in the end. When I originally decided I had to have the tech pack, I knew there was a chance I'd end up spending a few hundred on coolers.

It was nice and dry today and I drove the car to work. Really made my day! It's been a blast having it - even through the Minnesota winter. I can't wait for another month or two when I can put the summer tires back on it.
Thing is i'm willing to shell out a few hundred for coolers, but who am i going to give it to ! I'd like Ford to come out with some kind of fix for tech and base owners, but i highly doubt they'll do anything for us.
Aftermarket, maybe but at what cost ?
Since my car is still on order, i'm debating the pors and cons of cancelling my order and ordering a base '17.

Thought i was done with decisions. :confused:

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
s/hundred/thousand/

Ven0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2016 Focus RS, 2013 Raptor
Yep exactly. And probably more than the difference between a base '16 and ´17 .
I have my doubts on that, I don't think Ford Canada is going to be setting the base 17 gt350 msrp any less than what the 16 base price plus the track pack cost. I think the 17 base price up here will be at least 71 to 72k CDN. I think the cheapest 350 will still be the 16 base without the magnetic shocks. If you want the magnetic shocks then i would really consider a 17. Almost wish i did, but the trade off would be not having the car for 9 extra months or so.

I'm sure there will be a transmission and differential cooler option available at some time, hopefully less then 1500 or so.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
people should have known, yada yada,
its in the manual, yada yada

well on a very hard to get car it was not even remotely communicated the tech mode (2016)gets a gimped tranny that cannot accept the factory cooling system, way to shit on yourself ford,

learned nothing from the zo6 auto tranny heat issues

most track capable car, oh wait they did not bother to put an asterisks on the adds. they also didnt bother to mention in the manual you were on your own to find a tranny cooling system.

now to make it better the folks that supported them for 2016, and bought the tech pack, like me ad it wad the only car available to me, are stuck.

way to save a buck, it cost you a 2017 Raptor sale.