Lets Talk 2015 GT Depreciation

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Well, I got mine with the 50th appearance package, so I am pretty sure it has gone up in value since it is a special edition and all... :ninja:

Being real, I am not sure what you are going for here... there are too many variables at play to say what you would have to do to be in positive equity at the time of sale, and some of those variables are unknowns...
Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
My personal plan is keep it 5 years, see if anything looks good, then keep it 2 more :p

TheRiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Boat
Not even then almost ever when you compare the value of the dollar at time of purchase and sale.

I have a low miles '78 Trans Am WS6 that's worth a lot more dollars than I paid for it new BUT those same dollars put into real estate, stocks or almost any non-crazy investment in '78 would have paid off much more than the car.

But I did make money on the only two Oldsmobiles I ever owned. I bought both new in the '70s and sold a year later. But they were both total flukes with a dealer forced into selling me one for way under its value and the other some insane buyer who had to have my exact car/configuration. I mean seriously? Pay more for a used car than a brand new one because some option/color/etc was dropped?
Totally agreed as I'm a real estate broker, you can make much more in real estate and stocks.

But you never know just went to car show on fathers day and ran into a 23 window VW bus (60's?) was restored and was appraised at $225,000 and they sold for what new, 4k?

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
You want slow depreciation, get a tacoma. Mine is an 07 with 143k miles and I'm convinced I could pull the engine and someone would still deem it to be worth 10k..lolol

I plan on keeping my mustang, but I'm guessing it'll level out in two years or so. The year old stuff is selling for almost what I got mine for new. It makes no sense to pay 29k for one a year old when you can get it for 31 with half the interest rate.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
FWIW, I just traded my 2011 GT in at 19.5K with 42,000 miles on the clock. I put down 9.5k if I remember right, paid 33K and change with taxes and crap. I paid the car off a while ago and it helped big time to off set my GT350. With my down payment on the GT350 and my trade in it was something like 28.5K down.

The key is to put down a nice down payment if you don't want to get upside down. Lowers the stress of having a monster payment every month or paying off the car until the next ice age and if you do decide to upgrade right after your term, you're not sunk.

If you didn't and want to rebalance yourself out, find out if anyone is offering refinancing somewhere. Make a huge payment like 5K or whatever, and then immediately go refinance.

Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
There. Fixed it for you.

Lets be honest with ourselves. The S550 will never be a collector piece. Not the CS edition. Not the 350 or the 350R. Theyre great FUN cars, but not collector cars.
I disagree. Just about any nice condition old car becomes a collector... It's not worth arguing but will certainly be a discussion many years down the road.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Fords don't hold their values at all. You'll always take a hit on these cars. I've seen a ton of used 2015 premiums for $32-36k. These were all $40k+ when new without incentives or rebates. GTs hold their values way better than EBs and V6. I've seen V6 as low as $18 and EBs around $19k-20k.

You don't buy a factory car to make money. It's an expense. These cars aren't going to appreciate in value anytime soon.
If you thinks Fords are back, buy a BMW.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have never reset my Trip 2 since the car was new. So now I also can track total time that the car has been switched ON.

I write the total miles and total time on every gas receipt. When I have absolutely nothing better to do I plan to put the numbers into Excel (yeah, OCD, I know) , and then chart out total cost/mile and total cost/hour. Total cost = every dollar I have spent on the car. It would blow your mind to see what those two rates are.

So, as long as cars are a big expense, we may as well drive around nice, fun cars, that turn heads, starting with our own!

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have never reset my Trip 2 since the car was new. So now I also can track total time that the car has been switched ON.

I write the total miles and total time on every gas receipt. When I have absolutely nothing better to do I plan to put the numbers into Excel (yeah, OCD, I know) , and then chart out total cost/mile and total cost/hour. Total cost = every dollar I have spent on the car. It would blow your mind to see what those two rates are.

So, as long as cars are a big expense, we may as well drive around nice, fun cars, that turn heads.
Truth. I have no reason to care about the depreciation of this car, as I have no plans to get rid of it (at any time in the next 5-8 years, or ever, really). Almost all cars lose value like they drink gasoline. Get something that doesn't break the bank via payments + insurance + maintenance and enjoy it.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I have NEVER done a car payment,I pay cash, then I am never under water and don"t have any payments or interest,I did this with my S197 but plan to NEVER sell it, only 21,296 GT made that year,and only 19,000 miles on the clock, so the negitives don"t matter,there isn"t a million of them floating around on the street, and it"s in Kona Blue win win for me.

Sponsored

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
I think this Mustang may have better future value then many think. you can't take previous Mustangs as comparison. This is a very popular car that gets a lot of looks. There's a lot of things happening soon (2020) that in the next 10 year that show positives. These things have 435 HP V8's and we may be soon looking into the death of the V8. If anything, V8's that are tuned down to start hitting gov required MPG regulations.

I can say that without a doubt, 18 of the last 20 cars I have owned (Honda / Acura / Luxus / Toyota) I've walked out of in 1-3 years at what I in the least what I still owe on them or better. I once sold a year old 2001 Honda S2000 for $1000 over MSRP (what they were selling for on the lot). Which is the reason why I have had 25ish cars in 25ish years between my wife and I.

CM581978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550 Owner
Used on Autotrader, every GT seems to be around 28k so they arent taking too much of a hit.

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Yeah, I've been surprised what they are still going for, at least the GT. Have to remember that those are dealer prices so you would be hard pressed to get that, even if you do private sale. Trade in will probably not be anything special, I'm thinking around 18k but I really have no idea.

Like was said before, German cars never hold their value very well. Probably because the people who get them always want the latest and greatest and there are so many that are leased that it puts a lot of cars on the resale market. My friend just bought an E63 AMG from 2008 for just over 20 grand with a little under 80k on the engine and that was a 100k+ car when it came out.

I remember comparing the used car values of a used 2009 gt vs a 2009 DB9 and some other highend cars just to see what retained a higher percentage of its initial value and it was pretty amusing to see just how much worse those cars depreciated versus a Mustang GT.

It's funny because I doubt anybody buying a muscle car in the 60s and early 70s would think they would be worth as much as they are now. I would imagine our cars would be the same way but not for many decades. Maybe sooner if V8s and big displacement engines get phased out in the next 10 to 15 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing the last gen GTO and G8s going for decent money in 15 or 20 years since they were the last v8 Pontiacs. Hell, look at the current price tags of the last gen Ford GT. They going between 250 and 300k. People realized it was probably gonna be the last "traditional" American supercar with a v8, true 6 speed and very few computer assists and the demand has gone up. Granted this is an extreme because it wasn't a mass produced affordable car but it has pretty much doubled in value while all its competition from then has gone down in value.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Traded in a 13 wrangler sport and dealer gave me $300 more than what i paid bran new honest to God. I use to sell cars and when he came back with that I almost had a heart attack. Guys at work had trouble believing until i showed them trade allowance and my old jeep purchase agreement.

Needless to say thanks to them and not a cent out of my pocket, I put down $9,000. I only owe $23,000 on a 16 GT with 1800 miles(ttl included). Kbb,nada, and Edmunds( the worst for trade) has me at $30215. Whether I will get that I doubt it but I am pretty sure I will be positive regardless. That Jeep sat on their lot for two and a half months.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
So what is a base '15 gt pp recaro esp w/5000 mi worth?
Sponsored