Sponsored

Lets Talk 2015 GT Depreciation

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
For those of you who have had GT Mustang's in the past...

Case car: 2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP/Navigation/Recaros/Enhanced security/ 13K Miles

At what point do these cars break even in terms of equity, bought it brand new and average about 12K miles a year?

Is there a chance to gain positive equity on these cars at all minus the low mileage factor?
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I went upside down on my trade by $3k and mine was a dealer trade so I didn't get too great a deal. BUT....

I did get 0% financing for 72 months with zero down so..I figure I will have to hold onto it for at least three years and keep the mileage decent.

mada808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I got my car for a steal and I'm struggling to sell it right now. I think I'll be lucky to be +-1k in equity to put into a new car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lowrider

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
I went upside down on my trade by $3k and mine was a dealer trade so I didn't get too great a deal. BUT....

I did get 0% financing for 72 months with zero down so..I figure I will have to hold onto it for at least three years and keep the mileage decent.
If you drive it all year round then I guess mileage won't be decent. Again it is kinda stupid to not enjoy driving the car you bought because your saving it for depreciation reasons.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
With the deals/discounts that you can get on these cars it's a tough sale to get people to buy used ones when the new ones are at such a good price.

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
With the deals/discounts that you can get on these cars it's a tough sale to get people to buy used ones when the new ones are at such a good price.
I never buy cars (new off the lot) with the intent of "making money."

You'll almost always take the initial depreciation hit.

When I was shopping, I bought new because of the fact that so many used cars had asking prices almost equal to the deals people were getting.

My plan is to hold onto it about three years, or till the last few thousand miles of the bumper to bumper warranty. Which wont matter with the Procharger that I plan on installing.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
For those of you who have had GT Mustang's in the past...

Case car: 2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP/Navigation/Recaros/Enhanced security/ 13K Miles

At what point do these cars break even in terms of equity, bought it brand new and average about 12K miles a year?

Is there a chance to gain positive equity on these cars at all minus the low mileage factor?
Since I always pay up front, I guess I always (or never) have positive equity, depending on your definition. My point being, it would seem to vary depending on a lot of things (how good of a deal, down payment, months, interest, etc.).

TheRiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Boat

When I was shopping, I bought new because of the fact that so many used cars had asking prices almost equal to the deals people were getting.

My plan is to hold onto it about three years, or till the last few thousand miles of the bumper to bumper warranty. Which wont matter with the Procharger that I plan on installing.

Bingo, unless you're going to keep it for 30+ years.

Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette

If you are only planning to keep it three years,why not lease?
I have had my Vette for 10 years with no plans to sell and got my Mustang 90 days ago, and never plan to sell it or the Focus RS I have on order. I like new, but may lease when my daily driver needs to be upgraded.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Fords don't hold their values at all. You'll always take a hit on these cars. I've seen a ton of used 2015 premiums for $32-36k. These were all $40k+ when new without incentives or rebates. GTs hold their values way better than EBs and V6. I've seen V6 as low as $18 and EBs around $19k-20k.

You don't buy a factory car to make money. It's an expense. These cars aren't going to appreciate in value anytime soon.

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
If you are only planning to keep it three years,why not lease?
I have had my Vette for 10 years with no plans to sell and got my Mustang 90 days ago, and never plan to sell it ot the Focus I have on order. I like new, but may lease when my daily driver needs to be upgraded.
I like to mod, heavily modify, and put a ton of miles on my cars.

None of those work for leasing.

And I get bored quickly... as quick as three years go by.

My last three cars I owned for an average of 1.5 years. Two BMW's and a Carrera.

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
Fords don't hold their values at all. You'll always take a hit on these cars. I've seen a ton of used 2015 premiums for $32-36k. These were all $40k+ when new without incentives or rebates. GTs hold their values way better than EBs and V6. I've seen V6 as low as $18 and EBs around $19k-20k.

You don't buy a factory car to make money. It's an expense. These cars aren't going to appreciate EVER IN value.....
There. Fixed it for you.

Lets be honest with ourselves. The S550 will never be a collector piece. Not the CS edition. Not the 350 or the 350R. Theyre great FUN cars, but not collector cars.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Bingo, unless you're going to keep it for 30+ years.
Not even then almost ever when you compare the value of the dollar at time of purchase and sale.

I have a low miles '78 Trans Am WS6 that's worth a lot more dollars than I paid for it new BUT those same dollars put into real estate, stocks or almost any non-crazy investment in '78 would have paid off much more than the car.

But I did make money on the only two Oldsmobiles I ever owned. I bought both new in the '70s and sold a year later. But they were both total flukes with a dealer forced into selling me one for way under its value and the other some insane buyer who had to have my exact car/configuration. I mean seriously? Pay more for a used car than a brand new one because some option/color/etc was dropped?
Sponsored