Leaking red fluid

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
From what i have read here some jerky shifting is common with the car, and the COBB tune is very well covered and endorsed by many to be a safe easy added punch to the car for minimal cost. And i would add the COBB tune made it shift smoother, in normal mode it was very smooth like my Moms Malibu, but just as gutless.
And i did mention i didnt feel the added power from the Tune, and i read recently the added punch is at 4000 rpm and i dont beat on the car even that much to have felt it.
Hello; There are threads about the automatic transmissions in late model Fords. I do not know if jerky shifting is considered normal for your transmission. In the dual clutch transmissions perhaps such is the case as they are a hybrid sort of transmission. Even if the jerky shifting is considered normal such is not your problem at this point.
I get you may be in a bad spot with this car just now. I do not think we on the forum can help much just yet. We are guessing from a distance. Some guesses are worth more than others. Mine for example not worth much. I am an old school sort of shade tree mechanic who just does not have a lot of actual time with the newer mustangs. Others are much better sources. I would pay attention to anything Cobra Jet has to say with confidence.

With luck and in the best case you may only have a slight leak. The worst case is you may have a bad transmission. You may have a case for repair under warranty from Ford. You may have a case for some relief from the dealership who sold you the car since it is only ten days since you bought it. You will have to check these things out.

I do not have any opinion about what Ford may do concerning the tune. I have not yet had a tune put onto the computer of a vehicle, so again have no experience. I have read that such aftermarket changes can void a warranty. I also suspect the car's computer can keep a record of things such as a tune. Even if the tune itself is not the fault of your troubles, it may be enough to void a warranty. May not be much you can do about it at this point.

The red fluid seems likely to be trans fluid. The second picture makes things look worse as there are signs of a more serious leak. Did you check the trans level at any point since buying the car?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 ecoboost premium mustang
Ill update, its on a wrecker headed to Ford, someone suppose to take a look around 1:30.
All dealership said is as is no warranty with us but Ford should cover the power train.
I didn't have time to take the tune off but as people said they would know anyway.
There's proof on the car i wasn't beating the crap out of it, my best 0-60 was 7.4 so i think there's been something amiss in the car from day i bought it.

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
Hello; There are threads about the automatic transmissions in late model Fords. I do not know if jerky shifting is considered normal for your transmission. In the dual clutch transmissions perhaps such is the case as they are a hybrid sort of transmission. Even if the jerky shifting is considered normal such is not your problem at this point.
I get you may be in a bad spot with this car just now. I do not think we on the forum can help much just yet. We are guessing from a distance. Some guesses are worth more than others. Mine for example not worth much. I am an old school sort of shade tree mechanic who just does not have a lot of actual time with the newer mustangs. Others are much better sources. I would pay attention to anything Cobra Jet has to say with confidence.

With luck and in the best case you may only have a slight leak. The worst case is you may have a bad transmission. You may have a case for repair under warranty from Ford. You may have a case for some relief from the dealership who sold you the car since it is only ten days since you bought it. You will have to check these things out.

I do not have any opinion about what Ford may do concerning the tune. I have not yet had a tune put onto the computer of a vehicle, so again have no experience. I have read that such aftermarket changes can void a warranty. I also suspect the car's computer can keep a record of things such as a tune. Even if the tune itself is not the fault of your troubles, it may be enough to void a warranty. May not be much you can do about it at this point.

The red fluid seems likely to be trans fluid. The second picture makes things look worse as there are signs of a more serious leak. Did you check the trans level at any point since buying the car?
I was debating checking then the wrecker arrived. Looking at driveway and street in front of house its been leaking for few days atleast. When running it drips pretty good.

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
Nervously waiting for the call with the news on problem, i just keep thinking the car didnt seem that fast at all to me and even after COBB tune i really didnt feel a difference others have mentioned. Just seemed slow taking off like a hesitation then slow build up of speed. But im new to a turbo i assumed that was causing the hesitation.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
Got a call swallowed my other testicle only to hear we may get a chance to look at it tomorrow.

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
From what i have read here some jerky shifting is common with the car, and the COBB tune is very well covered and endorsed by many to be a safe easy added punch to the car for minimal cost. And i would add the COBB tune made it shift smoother, in normal mode it was very smooth like my Moms Malibu, but just as gutless.
And i did mention i didnt feel the added power from the Tune, and i read recently the added punch is at 4000 rpm and i dont beat on the car even that much to have felt it.
They have tranny apart, Mike says was fluid everywhere so they havent found what seal is the problem yet, might get callback tonight.

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for keeping us posted!
I came across anothert post had similar as me, hanging in a gear rather than shifting on occasion then smell of burning then a leak under car but he never followed up with problem solution.

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
I came across anothert post had similar as me, hanging in a gear rather than shifting on occasion then smell of burning then a leak under car but he never followed up with problem solution.
So does anybody know how warranty repair works, when would i get word whos paying for this. If this wasnt covered wouldnt they have quoted me a price just to diagnose the problem?

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
So does anybody know how warranty repair works, when would i get word whos paying for this. If this wasnt covered wouldnt they have quoted me a price just to diagnose the problem?
Hello; Much depends on what you told the dealer you had the car towed to. I hope you told them you have a warranty issue or that you asked them to call you when the problem is diagnosed. Yes they can charge a fee for checking out the problem, but in my experience if the issue is under warranty you will not have to pay such.
Do you recall what was said when you made the appointment at the dealer?

I gather from your posts you do not have much experience buying a used vehicle or working with a dealer. While it may be too late for us here to help with this particular car and this particular incident, there are folks who can help later. I wish you luck with this problem. Based on what you have posted so far there seems to be a good chance you have a transmission issue and with the age of the car and the mileage a good chance the powertrain warranty will cover the repair.
Please keep us posted.

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Much depends on what you told the dealer you had the car towed to. I hope you told them you have a warranty issue or that you asked them to call you when the problem is diagnosed. Yes they can charge a fee for checking out the problem, but in my experience if the issue is under warranty you will not have to pay such.
Do you recall what was said when you made the appointment at the dealer?

I gather from your posts you do not have much experience buying a used vehicle or working with a dealer. While it may be too late for us here to help with this particular car and this particular incident, there are folks who can help later. I wish you luck with this problem. Based on what you have posted so far there seems to be a good chance you have a transmission issue and with the age of the car and the mileage a good chance the powertrain warranty will cover the repair.
Please keep us posted.
Thast what i assumed, 32k should be covered. I just explained what happened and when can you look at it being its not drivable. The issue is buying it from dealership who have already washed their hands of it. I thought they would atleast contact Ford and explain the situation being they only sold the car 10 days ago and its out of action with a $400 payment for 72 months. But they said its sold as is even at a certified preowned dealership.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Thast what i assumed, 32k should be covered. I just explained what happened and when can you look at it being its not drivable. The issue is buying it from dealership who have already washed their hands of it. I thought they would atleast contact Ford and explain the situation being they only sold the car 10 days ago and its out of action with a $400 payment for 72 months. But they said its sold as is even at a certified preowned dealership.
Hello; A car dealership has two distinct areas. The sales side tasked with moving vehicles off the lot and the service side. The sales side is only really going to do what is written down or subject to local or state law. I have caught sales people telling me things I knew were not accurate. So I often walk away from those sorts. Some people are as good as their word but you cannot count on such. But unless the area laws take hold you are on your own with an as is sale. Might be worth a search or call to check if there are local/state laws about used car sales. The dealership may not tell you even if they know.

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
Hello; A car dealership has two distinct areas. The sales side tasked with moving vehicles off the lot and the service side. The sales side is only really going to do what is written down or subject to local or state law. I have caught sales people telling me things I knew were not accurate. So I often walk away from those sorts. Some people are as good as their word but you cannot count on such. But unless the area laws take hold you are on your own with an as is sale. Might be worth a search or call to check if there are local/state laws about used car sales. The dealership may not tell you even if they know.
If its fixed correctly under warranty all is good, im just getting more and more stressed by how long a diagnosis is taking. Someone had it apart yesterday around 2pm. Near day later no update makes me think its not going good and looking for a warranty out clause. And its loaded to the ECU currently the COBB tune. Was suppose to get call back last night or AM and its noon here.

OP
OP

Shawn51fla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
Good news i guess, tired of waiting on a call back i called them and was told its going back together ill get a call to pick it up in couple hrs after some road testing and reprogramming.
Uhoh, this is when they find the tune right?
I will be sure and post pics of the damage report for the next unlucky soul with similar issues.
Now to get looking more at that Tesla style radio to install.
Sponsored