LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Just jacket legal helment and license is needed.Long pants no shorts.nhra
Sounds perfect. I have an FR jacket & Long FR pants, Not SFI tested, but exceed their spec. Hard to get true 4X SFI gear, as most run 2 sizes small, and no one ever seems to have the big sizes. Oh, and NHRA says no nylon pants. I have full face snell 2015 helmet legal to 2027.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
I just teched in at the NMRA Spring Break Shootout in Bradenton Florida. 10.00 is still the cut off for cars without non certified roll cages.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I recently went to a test and tune night and the guy doing tech made extra sure to check that I had the full interior in the passenger compartment. He said if I’d removed any of the seats that I’d fall back into the “old” rules and need a cage (I run mid/high 10s). I haven’t checked into those specifics yet, but can anyone confirm this?

My main concern was looking for an appropriate jacket since he did remind me I needed that.

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I recently went to a test and tune night and the guy doing tech made extra sure to check that I had the full interior in the passenger compartment. He said if I’d removed any of the seats that I’d fall back into the “old” rules and need a cage (I run mid/high 10s). I haven’t checked into those specifics yet, but can anyone confirm this?

My main concern was looking for an appropriate jacket since he did remind me I needed that.

Really depends on the tech, if he said something then they are looking for it. Same went for a friend of mine the guy was half way teching his race car and asking instead of verifying safety requirements, but then went out of his way to mention the enclosed front wheel lugs. I chuckled because this guy half assed teched the whole car but worries about enclosed lugs on the front wheels? Rear are NHRA/IHRA legal. Kind of pissed the tech off but to me if you are going to tech a car and be like that then tech the whole thing and not half ass it.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Really depends on the tech, if he said something then they are looking for it. Same went for a friend of mine the guy was half way teching his race car and asking instead of verifying safety requirements, but then went out of his way to mention the enclosed front wheel lugs. I chuckled because this guy half assed teched the whole car but worries about enclosed lugs on the front wheels? Rear are NHRA/IHRA legal. Kind of pissed the tech off but to me if you are going to tech a car and be like that then tech the whole thing and not half ass it.
That makes sense. They all have their little things they are really looking at hard but are willing to let other stuff go.

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
That makes sense. They all have their little things they are really looking at hard but are willing to let other stuff go.

The rules also state a slick car needs the stud protruding from the lug, this was a radial car and it's a low 10 sec car, not a outlaw single digit car. They let a few others go without a word and it was just irritating, not looking forward to going back for a while.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
but then went out of his way to mention the enclosed front wheel lugs.
Haha had the same happen to me. I said its a radial skinny. With long style gorilla lug nuts. No different than my street tires.

Actual rule: " vehicles with slicks must have open ended lug nuts ".

He didn't say shit about my rear seat delete.

Last edited:

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Haha had the same happen to me. I said its a radial skinny. With long style gorilla lug nuts. No different than my street tires.

Actual rule: " vehicles with slicks must have open ended lug nuts ".

He didn't say shit about my rear seat delete.

I was thinking about that, some of these cars come with a factory rear seat delete stock, how will they know? If you have bare metal showing or an obvious aftermarket kit then yes, but what if you buy the FRPP or similar rear seat delete kit? Neither NHRA or IHRA can overrule the factory when it comes to that.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about that, some of these cars come with a factory rear seat delete stock, how will they know? If you have bare metal showing or an obvious aftermarket kit then yes, but what if you buy the FRPP or similar rear seat delete kit? Neither NHRA or IHRA can overrule the factory when it comes to that.
You don't need rear seats. Exception would be if you relocated the battery to the trunk or there's a fuel cell.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
You don't need rear seats. Exception would be if you relocated the battery to the trunk or there's a fuel cell.
Yes, they should only be concerned with the front seats since they contain airbags. The rear seats don't.

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Well according to Mejohn50 post if you pull any interior parts then you are relegated back to the old rules (according to the guy who teched him) which I agree is BS, missing rear seats will not affect the cars safety. My guess is the tech officials are still learning the rules or the rules aren't clear enough to determine where the car will fall in regards to safety. Not to worried about it but I think more clarity needs to come about with the new rules if they are going to start with these little things like deleted back seats. I'm more concerned with proper safety like DS loops, helmets, jackets, etc.. Just hate to spend the money getting teched at a event and then not be allowed to run over something stupid like no rear seats because some places will not refund the money.
Sponsored