Kooks 1 7/8 header install

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Well, I ordered Kooks green catted headers for an insanely good price and from what I found, they are also a vendor on this forum. I'm going to start with the OEM connects to my stock catback for now. At some point later down the road, I may get bold and try to eliminate the bottleneck some but I really want to maintain the stock axleback since it's so good.

I had ARH headers before and loved them. The Kooks have the angled O2 sensors for E85 use so that's what got me to go with them this round. I had zero issues with E85 on my ARH headers so I would not hesitate to buy those either.

Thanks @crzystang for literally having the only good videos showing the exhaust off with headers.

OP
OP
crzystang

crzystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MATT
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT, 2021 MACH 1
@Zelek
Congrats! I am running E85 on mine. I get a ton of complements from people that know things on how well my car starts. I love the sound, and I know you will as well!

And thanks for the bud complements. Everyone on YouTube keep bashing me lol.
“Why didn’t you press the gas?”
“New headers and he didn’t even floor it.”

At wot of course it is louder but what I wanted to convey was the tone change in mid RPM. Everyone has heard a coyote at WOT with various exhausts.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
@Zelek
Congrats! I am running E85 on mine. I get a ton of complements from people that know things on how well my car starts. I love the sound, and I know you will as well!

And thanks for the bud complements. Everyone on YouTube keep bashing me lol.
“Why didn’t you press the gas?”
“New headers and he didn’t even floor it.”

At wot of course it is louder but what I wanted to convey was the tone change in mid RPM. Everyone has heard a coyote at WOT with various exhausts.
People also don't realize that 90% of your driving is like that and not at WOT. Besides, you DID do a WOT pull at the end of it. Welcome to the YouTube crowd. They can't read and can't listen.

I'm going to get tuned after the install. I want some dyno pulls bone stock, after the install still on the stock tune and probably one after the tune both on 93 and E85.

OP
OP
crzystang

crzystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MATT
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT, 2021 MACH 1
I was just thinking I need some pulls!
@Zelek very interested in your results!

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I was just thinking I need some pulls!
@Zelek very interested in your results!
Yeah, first I need to see how long it's going to be to get them here. Then the install.

Your video with the stock system sold me. It sounds so deep even with the headers still. I'm going to start there before I modify anything else. I learned a long time ago you always start with headers then replace whatever else behind it versus what everyone else does by getting Corsa Extremes first then realizing the huge mistake they made when they put headers on.

OP
OP
crzystang

crzystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MATT
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT, 2021 MACH 1
@Zelek
The thing I didn’t like about leaving the reso there was the pressure release I could hear.
When the exhaust “burps” during acceleration tells me that there is some part of the system that is not flowing as fast or as much volume as the other parts. With the SwitchFire that is gone, not even the pops and gurgles it’s so smooth, that is my preference.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
@Zelek
The thing I didn’t like about leaving the reso there was the pressure release I could hear.
When the exhaust “burps” during acceleration tells me that there is some part of the system that is not flowing as fast or as much volume as the other parts. With the SwitchFire that is gone, not even the pops and gurgles it’s so smooth, that is my preference.
That's good to know. What I may end up doing is one of those Stainless Bro's 2.5" In/Out and get the 3" connects for the Kooks and reduce it to that and the rest should hook up to the stock system as well. Should help with the flow not reducing the size down so much. Those mufflers are straight through design.

OP
OP
crzystang

crzystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MATT
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT, 2021 MACH 1
That's good to know. What I may end up doing is one of those Stainless Bro's 2.5" In/Out and get the 3" connects for the Kooks and reduce it to that and the rest should hook up to the stock system as well. Should help with the flow not reducing the size down so much. Those mufflers are straight through design.
In my opinion, the flow is seriously restricted in the “resonator”. Yes it is of straight through design. However when the pressure goes through those perforations and into the case/body, the body is then pressurized. If you look at the flatness and the corners there is no doubt in my mind, of the cavitation that happens in the body and the reflection of the pressure off the walls of the body and back through the perforations. This, in my non engineer mind, does the opposite of what we want behind the collector. A spiked collector merges gas in a smooth manner creating an area of low pressure opposite where the pulse just passed through. (Bernoulli’s principle)
When we introduce corners and sharp angles is when we see flow (speed/volume/turbulence/cavitation) suffer. In the neck down I do believe pressure increases HOWEVER, when the pipe expands back out smooth it actually increases speed of flow due to the greater pressure then release. I won’t go into how entropy effects this as well.
I believe this is even amplified with the SwitchFire. Having collector style ends with double tubing increases volume and allows the gas to flow on the path of least resistance.
I would encourage everyone to check out some of Dr Gas theories on exhaust. The same can be said for intake. It’s not always the size of the tubing or the hard bends but the pressure changes/corners/hard edges that cause cavitation.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
In my opinion, the flow is seriously restricted in the “resonator”. Yes it is of straight through design. However when the pressure goes through those perforations and into the case/body, the body is then pressurized. If you look at the flatness and the corners there is no doubt in my mind, of the cavitation that happens in the body and the reflection of the pressure off the walls of the body and back through the perforations. This, in my non engineer mind, does the opposite of what we want behind the collector. A spiked collector merges gas in a smooth manner creating an area of low pressure opposite where the pulse just passed through. (Bernoulli’s principle)
When we introduce corners and sharp angles is when we see flow (speed/volume/turbulence/cavitation) suffer. In the neck down I do believe pressure increases HOWEVER, when the pipe expands back out smooth it actually increases speed of flow due to the greater pressure then release. I won’t go into how entropy effects this as well.
I believe this is even amplified with the SwitchFire. Having collector style ends with double tubing increases volume and allows the gas to flow on the path of least resistance.
I would encourage everyone to check out some of Dr Gas theories on exhaust. The same can be said for intake. It’s not always the size of the tubing or the hard bends but the pressure changes/corners/hard edges that cause cavitation.
At this rate you're going to have me end up replacing my mid section as well.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
@Zelek
Man I love the sound of the Switch fire. I plan on stock Dyno in June, LTH, Steeda Closed AirBox, and a Flex tune. Then, redyno to see actual increase. after that

OP
OP
crzystang

crzystang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MATT
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT, 2021 MACH 1
Man I love the sound of the Switch fire. I plan on stock Dyno in June, LTH, Steeda Closed AirBox, and a Flex tune. Then, redyno to see actual increase. after that
I would really like to do switch fire vs resonator dyno