Koni Active Shocks

nj888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
NJ
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
So, I have steeda version with progressive springs, I hear thumping noise on all four corners but only happens when I first drive, then it is fine. But my biggest problem is the ride quality when I hit a bump it just unsettles the car and gets some bounce as well. Does anyone have the same issue?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have the same issue?
yes. I think these shocks are not valved for springs an iota stiffer than stock GT or at most PP1. It's unfortunately really.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
So, I have steeda version with progressive springs, I hear thumping noise on all four corners but only happens when I first drive, then it is fine. But my biggest problem is the ride quality when I hit a bump it just unsettles the car and gets some bounce as well. Does anyone have the same issue?
This should not be a characteristic of the Active Shocks & Struts with the progressive springs - we recommend the pair on our spring guide:

1643073953746.png

Please shoot me an email to [email protected] with your order number, make/model of your car & other performance parts & I will have our install team look into this.

I am sure we can get you squared away.

TJ

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I see ya, I am so disappointed with this.
Hey NJ I'm running Koni Active's which I suspect are either very similar or slightly higher rated than the Steeda units, I didn't get the Steedas simply due to pricing issues over here. Springs are BMR 763 which are marginally stiffer than stock. I couldn't be happier with handling or ride quality for a DD car on good and bad roads. Bumpstops are absolutely critical on these dampers, I'm running Eibach units.

Steeda will sort it out for you.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I found this. While there aren't any scales or units, it's maybe enough to see what they're trying to accomplish. Something to keep in mind is that the slope of the damping curves also matters (it's an indication of how much damper force increase you get to a change in piston velocity - for ride comfort you really want small slopes, which is what conventional dampers' blowoff valves seek to accomplish).

1613402252625.png

Norm
Koni is gonna be pissed when they find out that smooth roads still have a lot of high frequency content and rough roads still need low frequency control.

The 'active' valve is actually an inertial valve. That means it's not really frequency dependent, but it depends on the damper piston acceleration. You can almost bet that if you did some real testing, you'd find some pretty nasty force generation variations. It'll be open when you want it shut and shut when you want it open. This is probably why they mention a 10 hz opening. To work well, it would be have to pop open about 2 hz. They've probably stiffened the inertial valve quite a bit in an effort to keep the damned thing shut most of the time.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
We had this tech gosh 15 years ago at least, in motorcycle forks. Compared to the orifice bleed damper rods it was improved in square edge compression. But didn't do a whole lot in rebound unless you welded the bleed orifice shut.

It's a reasonable idea, just needs more r&d
Sponsored