Sponsored

Koni Active Shocks

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible CS
The reason why I ordered the Koni Actives is that I had the predecessor Koni FSDs on a BMW E46. On the BMW the Konis were comfortable, but they also held the car flat in the corners. So, as far as I am concerned they work as advertised. Plus I put over 60k miles on the Konis and they were still good when I traded the BMW for the Mustang.
Sponsored

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
After giving @Jigar@Steeda a call and explaining exactly what I was looking for in my ride, I pulled the trigger on the Pro-Active Dampers and set of progressive springs. He gave me a great discount and I didn't even have to ask for it. I should have them Wednesday and will hopefully get them on by the weekend. I'll give some feedback after I've had a few days to test them out, but I am certainly pleased with the deal I got from Steeda if they work for sure.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
After giving @Jigar@Steeda a call and explaining exactly what I was looking for in my ride, I pulled the trigger on the Pro-Active Dampers and set of progressive springs. He gave me a great discount and I didn't even have to ask for it. I should have them Wednesday and will hopefully get them on by the weekend. I'll give some feedback after I've had a few days to test them out, but I am certainly pleased with the deal I got from Steeda if they work for sure.
He's giving away the farm!!!!

Great choice - we have had several members already receive theirs & the results have been very good :)

Anyone else on the fence, we are happy to help - you can email me at [email protected]

TJ

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I contacted Koni directly and asked for retailers that may have these in stock. They responded quickly and gave me a few options to reach out to, but Summit Racing had them in stock and they are shipping today. They were about $50 more than the JEGs price. Hopefully, I'll get them this weekend.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After much deliberation I decided to go with the Steeda Pro-Active along with progressive springs on my 2015 LE 50 year Mustang GT. First, I got a great price on the combo from jigar and 2nd my equipment was on my doorstep in two days after ordering. Here are my impressions good and bad after three days of mixed driving over smooth, rough, asphalt and concrete roads.

The good......I like the look of the lower stance much more than I anticipated I would. It handles great, and I was not terribly disappointed in the way it handled with the stock set-up, but it is much flatter in the corners now......much closer to the way the German cars I have owned (BMW Audi) handle IMO.

The indifferent.......Does it ride better....yes....is it still a bit too harsh, yes IMO. Here is where it is definitely better. On roads that have been patched, have small dips and cracks in them, it is much more compliant. You still feel them, but they are much less bone rattling now. On the sections of concrete roadway that have seams in them, you don't feel the seams nearly as bad, but it still bounces way too much on the uneven concrete sections that aren't smooth. In fact I can't tell a lot of difference in that aspect from stock to the Steeda set-up.

The bad.......it's a pretty good chunk of change to spend between the cost of the product and the cost of the install if you aren't able to do it yourself.

In the end I am very pleased with it and would do it again. If you are like me and plan on keeping your ride for a good many years I highly recommend it as it is a much more pleasing place to be over the long haul. And BTW a shout-out to Lethal Performance in Jefferson City Tennessee for the install. They went the extra mile and stayed after hours to make sure it was spot on and had zero squeaks or rattles.
IMG_1084.jpg

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After much deliberation I decided to go with the Steeda Pro-Active along with progressive springs on my 2015 LE 50 year Mustang GT. First, I got a great price on the combo from jigar and 2nd my equipment was on my doorstep in two days after ordering. Here are my impressions good and bad after three days of mixed driving over smooth, rough, asphalt and concrete roads.

The good......I like the look of the lower stance much more than I anticipated I would. It handles great, and I was not terribly disappointed in the way it handled with the stock set-up, but it is much flatter in the corners now......much closer to the way the German cars I have owned (BMW Audi) handle IMO.

The indifferent.......Does it ride better....yes....is it still a bit too harsh, yes IMO. Here is where it is definitely better. On roads that have been patched, have small dips and cracks in them, it is much more compliant. You still feel them, but they are much less bone rattling now. On the sections of concrete roadway that have seams in them, you don't feel the seams nearly as bad, but it still bounces way too much on the uneven concrete sections that aren't smooth. In fact I can't tell a lot of difference in that aspect from stock to the Steeda set-up.

The bad.......it's a pretty good chunk of change to spend between the cost of the product and the cost of the install if you aren't able to do it yourself.

In the end I am very pleased with it and would do it again. If you are like me and plan on keeping your ride for a good many years I highly recommend it as it is a much more pleasing place to be over the long haul. And BTW a shout-out to Lethal Performance in Jefferson City Tennessee for the install. They went the extra mile and stayed after hours to make sure it was spot on and had zero squeaks or rattles.
IMG_1084.jpg
Did you get the all the suspension bushings clocked prior to alignment? This is crucial ensuring a good ride.

The aftermarket rear shock mount offerings will also improve the ride and bounce noticeably.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get the all the suspension bushings clocked prior to alignment? This is crucial ensuring a good ride.

The aftermarket rear shock mount offerings will also improve the ride and bounce noticeably.
No, I am not familiar with the steps you are referring to, so if Lethal Performance did not do that during the install it was not done. The car handles very good. I went on a 20 mile drive this morning on a curvy two lane Tennessee back road, and it is spot on handling wise. It is still a more stiff ride than a 3 series BMW but the handling part is very similar. Overall I am very pleased. I still have to take it back and have it aligned.....but the installer suggested that I drive it a little to let it settle before doing the alignment.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No, I am not familiar with the steps you are referring to, so if Lethal Performance did not do that during the install it was not done. The car handles very good. I went on a 20 mile drive this morning on a curvy two lane Tennessee back road, and it is spot on handling wise. It is still a more stiff ride than a 3 series BMW but the handling part is very similar. Overall I am very pleased. I still have to take it back and have it aligned.....but the installer suggested that I drive it a little to let it settle before doing the alignment.
Most definitely have the alignment shop do this before aligning the car.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hose-bushings-after-lowering-your-s550.44129/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-lowering-your-s550.44129/page-3#post-1244842

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh I see what that is now, and I think that they did that. After they test drove my car they brought it back in and drove it up on the alignment rack. They then loosened and re tightened several bolts all around. he said it was making a bit of noise over bumps before they did that. It doesn't make any noise over bumps now at all. I will make sure they have done that when I take it back for the alignment. Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
JCFoster

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I think it’ll soften up a little as it settles in. Unless the new springs have an effect on the ride that just changing shocks/struts doesn’t do. I’m amazed at the rear shocks at how well they absorb those sharp bumps. The front is better, but not as much as the rear.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I received the Koni Actives on Saturday and installed them over the weekend. I took the car out for a test drive on Sunday night, and this morning was my first regular commute.

My initial impressions are very good. They are definitely an improvement from stock for Northeast driving. The car is more comfortable while driving over rough pot holed roads, and still smooth and firm over better highway roads. The car was already flat in the corners thanks to my BMR sway bars, so no noticeable difference there.

I would recommend them for anyone who isn't satisfied with the comfort of the stock suspension.

I did the installation myself, which was a bit of PITA. The standard bolt type spring compressors interfere with the strut spring mount, so you need to do a bit of manual wrenching. I also had a little bit of noise coming from the struts after my first test drive, so had to snug everything down at the strut top after they had been installed. I had to use needle nose vice grips and an allen ratchet to snug down the top nut.

Last edited:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Thanks for the feedback folks, any further updates on impressions? Glad to hear them.

slaslo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Guys, do the Koni Active rears fit into the stock mount, or do they need to be drilled out?

TheMegalodon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 Mustang GT PP
Guys, do the Koni Active rears fit into the stock mount, or do they need to be drilled out?
The factory rear strut mounts don’t need to be drilled out. I was surprised when I installed my Koni Actives over the weekend. They fit without modification.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
@JCFoster and @RNMAAS how's it going with the new dampers, still happy? Grateful for your feedback and anyone else's who's been running these.

Cheers
Sponsored