Keeping painted calipers clean

Techapma

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1, HP, FJG, M6
I have the painted orange calipers on my FJG HP Mach1.

Car has 1300 miles on it, and the calipers are starting to show some grime and brake dust.

As I’m cleaning the calipers and wheels, I’m wondering if there is value in ceramic coating the calipers.

For those that have ceramic coated their calipers, is the consensus that it is worth the effort to ceramic coat in exchange for making them easier to clean? Or, are they generally easy enough to Keep clean without applying ceramic coat?
Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I have always found brake dust to just wipe right off coated calipers. Just a matter of cleaning and I never let mine get that dirty. I image wheel cleaner would be the strongest product I d use. Soap and water should do the trick.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I have the satin black calipers and I have coated them with wheel ceramics. From what I can tell they clean easily and look like new after 1100 miles from the coating.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
My calipers are ceramic coated and they look brand new. I only clean them with the same car shampoo I use on the rest of the car and some brushes to get in hard to reach places. I don’t have experience cleaning them without coating but I don’t even want to try. This is the easiest way to keep them looking good.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
I have always heard high temp paint is a better option for brake calipers over powder coat. I have to wipe down my front rims and calipers after every drive. Mine does not have the slotted rotors. They were removed to curb brake dust. I cannot imagine it being worse. I have had many cars with racing pads etc.. My GT350 is the worst eating pads by far.

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know there s another thread on this but the easiest way is to switch out those dirty pads for cleaner ones.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
I have a detail brush I use to wash the calipers (red), but I also pressure wash when washing, which helps a ton. Probably helps I don't drive it in the rain either :like:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Change the OEM pads to Powerstop Z23. Far less brake dust to deal with.

Pardsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang Mach 1
Just wait until the rock chips start. I have red calipers on my 1,700 mile Explorer ST and had them on my FoST. They chip very easily. That’s why I didn’t order them on my ‘22.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Just wait until the rock chips start. I have red calipers on my 1,700 mile Explorer ST and had them on my FoST. They chip very easily. That’s why I didn’t order them on my ‘22.
I haven't seen any on mine, just a few chips on the front end and 1 on my windshield :(

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they are usually very durable on any other car I ve had with factory painted calipers.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
You can also do a less expensive route and clean them really good and use jet seal from chemical guys. Will be able to achieve what you wanting to keep them clean and easily wipe off the dust.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I have the painted orange calipers on my FJG HP Mach1.

Car has 1300 miles on it, and the calipers are starting to show some grime and brake dust.

As I’m cleaning the calipers and wheels, I’m wondering if there is value in ceramic coating the calipers.

For those that have ceramic coated their calipers, is the consensus that it is worth the effort to ceramic coat in exchange for making them easier to clean? Or, are they generally easy enough to Keep clean without applying ceramic coat?
There are a couple of ways to address this.

The simplest method would be to use a spray and rinse type product such as Gyeon Wet Coat, CarPro Hydr02 or 303 Touch-less Sealant. The beauty of this method is that you don't even have to remove the wheels. In terms of application, wash the wheel and calipers as normal, preferably using a iron removing wheel cleaner such as CarPro IronX or P&S Iron Buster. Rinse very well then while the wheel is still wet, apply a few sprays on the wheel face, barrel and caliper. Rinse again and you are done. These products will last around 4 or 5 months.

may1919.jpg

If you intend on taking the wheels off anyway, then you may as well use a ceramic coating. Make sure to choose a coating suitable for higher temps such as CarPro DLUX or Gyeon Rim, these will provide 12 - 24 months of protection.

sep17.jpg

The prep process will be the similar, decontaminate with an iron remover, rinse well, dry the calipers with a blower or compressed air and then wipe over the areas to be treated with an IPA solution such as CarPro Eraser or GTECHNIQ Panel Wipe.

Decon -

IMG_9657.jpg

IMG_9658.jpg

Drying -

IMG_9674.jpg

Eraser -

IMG_9661.jpg

Coating -

IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9676.jpg

End result -

IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9680.jpg

IMG-9686.jpg

With painted calipers, the end result would be more noticeable compared to the OEM grey finish my car has.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
There are a couple of ways to address this.

The simplest method would be to use a spray and rinse type product such as Gyeon Wet Coat, CarPro Hydr02 or 303 Touch-less Sealant. The beauty of this method is that you don't even have to remove the wheels. In terms of application, wash the wheel and calipers as normal, preferably using a iron removing wheel cleaner such as CarPro IronX or P&S Iron Buster. Rinse very well then while the wheel is still wet, apply a few sprays on the wheel face, barrel and caliper. Rinse again and you are done. These products will last around 4 or 5 months.

may1919.jpg

If you intend on taking the wheels off anyway, then you may as well use a ceramic coating. Make sure to choose a coating suitable for higher temps such as CarPro DLUX or Gyeon Rim, these will provide 12 - 24 months of protection.

sep17.jpg

The prep process will be the similar, decontaminate with an iron remover, rinse well, dry the calipers with a blower or compressed air and then wipe over the areas to be treated with an IPA solution such as CarPro Eraser or GTECHNIQ Panel Wipe.

Decon -

IMG_9657.jpg

IMG_9658.jpg

Drying -

IMG_9674.jpg

Eraser -

IMG_9661.jpg

Coating -

IMG_9666.jpg

IMG_9676.jpg

End result -

IMG_9677.jpg

IMG_9680.jpg

IMG-9686.jpg

With painted calipers, the end result would be more noticeable compared to the OEM grey finish my car has.
Deyon you are the man when it comes to this stuff! Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge in this sub forum
Sponsored