Painting Brake Calipers Red

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
When I bought the Mach, $495 for red calipers seemed like a pretty hefty price so I didn't get them. Then after getting the car and catching the car show bug I regretted it. Sooooo.... today I painted them. About 10 hours of work, didn't expect it to take that long but I did some things that may not have been necessary. But really happy with the results.

Supplies were one can each of Dupli-Color red caliper paint, gray engine primer, and wheel clear coat; one bottle of Black Magic No-Scrub wheel cleaner; two 9 ft x 12 ft 0.7 mil clear plastic drop cloths; isopropyl alcohol; and painter's tape.

Watched some Youtube videos of guys painting their calipers on the car, without removing the pads or rotors, and didn't like the look of painted pads. So first step was pull the pads and rotors, and mount the calipers back on the car. The fronts have two pins holding the pads in place and a center stud, I took those out too so they wouldn't get painted. Then sprayed them with the wheel cleaner and scrubbed them with a brush, and rinsed them into a bucket. Dried them and went over them again with a brush and isopropyl. No, this is NOT the detailer's two bucket method LOL!

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4602.JPG

IMG_4603.JPG

Now the part I hate most about paint jobs - masking. The two drop cloths covered most of the car, the grill and rear decklid were uncovered. Maybe unnecessary but I didn't want to take a chance on getting overspray on the paint. Cut holes in the dropcloths for the side view mirrors and covered them with grocery bags. Then cut small holes for each caliper and stretched the plastic around it. Used wadded up paper towels and painters tape to try to mask off the three holes in the front calipers, the bleeder valves, the pistons, etc.

IMG_4607.JPG

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG

Finally. Time to start painting. Two coats of primer and three coats of red, waiting 10 minutes between each coat. Then let it sit 3 hours before reassembling the rears.

IMG_4610.JPG

Then I reinstalled the front rotors and bolted on the calipers before applying silver Brembo decals, found them on Etsy, good guy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/104991...f=sr_gallery-1-1&bes=1&organic_search_click=1

After applying the decals I hit them with two coats of clear coat and finished reassembly:

IMG_4612.JPG

Super happy with the results. But I should have paid the $495 LOL, would have saved a lot of work!

IMG_4613.JPG

IMG_4611.JPG
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Looks great and it's a good thing the wheels cover that rust on the rotors.

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
I just did this for a friend on his GT350. I mask every thing big job. Yours look great and a better way of doing it.
Lee
1653013524146.jpeg

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
what, couldn't spring for blue, yellow or green? :) :) :)

Lovely job. I'm just wondering how 500F engine paint (primer) is going to hold up when the calipers are used in anger. Not street driving, but rather track use. Unless this one isn't going to visit Pitt Race? :(

I watched Emcel's efforts with G2 paint kit and if I attempt this on say my F150 or Eco I'm going to take the calipers off. I have the luxury on the EcoB to have free-standing rear calipers so can give them a full scrub and dangle from a string at a comfortable height with 360 access. I'm planning to use VHT caliper or Dupli-2000F rated paints.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
what, couldn't spring for blue, yellow or green? :) :) :)

Lovely job. I'm just wondering how 500F engine paint (primer) is going to hold up when the calipers are used in anger. Not street driving, but rather track use. Unless this one isn't going to visit Pitt Race? :(

I watched Emcel's efforts with G2 paint kit and if I attempt this on say my F150 or Eco I'm going to take the calipers off. I have the luxury on the EcoB to have free-standing rear calipers so can give them a full scrub and dangle from a string at a comfortable height with 360 access. I'm planning to use VHT caliper or Dupli-2000F rated paints.
Color was definitely something I thought about but with a silver car with black and red stripes my options were pretty limited! Not a flashy color guy but if they made a grabber lime Mach I'd have ordered it without a second thought. Some matching calipers would have looked pretty sweet!

Pitt Race isn't totally off the radar yet... had my fill of track days when I was younger though. Spent a day out your way at Summit Point and watched an RX-7 roll over and burst into flames. Pretty cool. Driver got out before it blew up so all was good!

Spent a lot of time going back and forth on what paint to use and after reading lots of reviews, one didn't seem to stand out above the rest so I went with the Dupli-Color. I really thought hard about taking them completely off but didn't think it was worth messing with plugging ports and bleeding just to get paint on areas you could never see when they were installed. Definitely glad I pulled the rotors / pads / clips though, looks much more professional this way IMO. Would love to see your EB if you do this, pretty sure you won't pick red!

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Little secret on changing the color of the PP1 grey 6 piston Brembo’s to red… I bought a new pair of red Brembo’s from Tasca Ford for $550. Then swapped out my grey oem PP1 calipers which I then sold for $400! No downtime, no masking or painting, just swap and bleed for $150! This was a couple of years ago so not sure on current prices. For the rear I bought a spare set of GT rear calipers off eBay for $100, painted Rustoleum cherry red at my leisure and installed when convenient to me with little downtime in n the swap.

davtpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Wow good info! Nicely done and now I don’t feel like such a poseur for paying 495!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a new pair of red Brembo’s from Tasca Ford for $550. Then swapped out my grey oem PP1 calipers which I then sold for $400! No downtime, no masking or painting, just swap and bleed for $150!
I believe they call that cheating. :)
or smart. or using the ol' noggin

Spent a day out your way at Summit Point and watched an RX-7 roll over and burst into flames.
Turn 8 or 9 I bet.
Would love to see your EB if you do this, pretty sure you won't pick red!
well like barron64 I bought a Steeda front-kit which already came factory Red. But the rears will be yellow or blue - the latter is sold out everwhere I've looked so far though.

At least the M1 comes with the black calipers with a smooth surface instead of the mottled gray rough texture the PP1 cars get.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Little secret on changing the color of the PP1 grey 6 piston Brembo’s to red… I bought a new pair of red Brembo’s from Tasca Ford for $550. Then swapped out my grey oem PP1 calipers which I then sold for $400! No downtime, no masking or painting, just swap and bleed for $150! This was a couple of years ago so not sure on current prices. For the rear I bought a spare set of GT rear calipers off eBay for $100, painted Rustoleum cherry red at my leisure and installed when convenient to me with little downtime in n the swap.
I went the super quick and easy/lazy route and ordered a complete Bullitt caliper set from Steeda, and a couple of hours later I was sated.

One of these days I need to peddle the gray OEM stuff....

OP
OP
Mikepol2

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
So I test drove it yesterday after reinstalling everything, pretty long drive with no issues. This morning I took it out and got to the stop sign at the end of the street and heard a horrible grinding when I hit the brakes. Did it 3 times and then heard what sounded like a small bolt fall out??? Backed it up into the garage, thought for sure one of the front pad pins had fallen out and let the pads droop forward onto the rotor hat but they’re all there. Great, now I have to pull all the wheels again and see if something’s loose or missing. Could have been a rock but sure is a weird coincidence that it happened the day after a brake job! 😡😡😡

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
So I test drove it yesterday after reinstalling everything, pretty long drive with no issues. This morning I took it out and got to the stop sign at the end of the street and heard a horrible grinding when I hit the brakes. Did it 3 times and then heard what sounded like a small bolt fall out??? Backed it up into the garage, thought for sure one of the front pad pins had fallen out and let the pads droop forward onto the rotor hat but they’re all there. Great, now I have to pull all the wheels again and see if something’s loose or missing. Could have been a rock but sure is a weird coincidence that it happened the day after a brake job! 😡😡😡
Make sure to check the rotors aren’t scored by whatever the grinding noise was. Sorry to hear that, sucks to put a downer on a great paint job.

Jupiter Sean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS Blk
Vehicle Showcase
I also went red - at first. But after living with it on my black car regret seeped in..
So I went the more subtle(and expensive) route.
car3.jpg
Brakes 4.jpg
brakes 3.jpg
brakes 2.jpg
brakes.jpg