17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Research

Hi all,

My name is Scott and the owner of Antigravity Batteries and one of the posters here brought my attention to this thread... So I wanted to come on here and answer any questions and give the straight facts about lithium and it Pros and potential Cons. And probably most important is just to educate you guys on Lithium, then also figure out what's going on in some of the cars that some of you have been having issues with. The reason that I quote the post above, is just to point out there is a serious lack of understanding in a broader perspective of Lithium and it applications and uses, and how to actually select the size you might want too. As well, I need information to educate myself in some of the issues some of you might be having with the newer charging systems.....

I will tell you, I will always speak to you factually. I will not try to oversell our products or push them on anyone. They are a newer technology, often misunderstood, and additionally they require a different maintenance practice than lead acid batteries. They do require a lithium dedicated charger if you're in a position to have to maintain or charge the battery using and off the shelf charger. So there are inherent differences when using a lithium battery versus a lead acid battery... So I'm here to assist with answering those questions, and giving you the straight answers that will help you decide if this is a product that you want to use in your application. It is actually very easy to run a Lithium battery in a car... but you have to understand certain things about your cars, it Parasitic draw, if you put aftermarket parts on it that create a higher parastic draw, or if you let you Lithium Battery over-discharge.

I saw a few angry negative posts.... like the one by XAnchormanX, saying the product is garbage, and his buddy owns a race shop and has a rack of ruined Lithium Batteries..... Being blunt that speaks more to the USER than the battery.... A lithium battery does not spontaneously fail nor is it a piece of garbage. Its rated at twice the "cycles" achieveable by Lead, so if maintained you generally going to get a much longer life cycle.. but within that you have a smaller battery you might have to maintain more often. Admittedly, it may not be the best for your applications if you cannot understand the maintenance that it works best in. The fact is the batteries perform flawless in tens of thousands of applications, and the other fact is they can also fail in certain circumstances which I will explain, and often due to user error of mainly OVER-DISCHARGING the battery, which could be an innocent mistake.. but none the less it damages the battery. But they absolutely do work and have worked in everything from daily drivers to world-class racing or we would not be here.

So I'm not here to try to sell you our product, I'm not here to tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm here to try to educate you so you can make the best decision. It is not perfect for all applications, and it certainly isn't perfect if you think you can just treat it like your lead acid battery and put a lead acid charger on it, or allow it to over-discharge below 10.5 V, and let it sit in overdischarge state. So after I explained to you the facts about lithium you will then be in a position to realize what causes a lithium battery to fail, and then know if that is in acceptable risk for you.

But there is another side of that story, we at Antigravity Batteries DON"T know every car perfectly. We have been in Mustangs for YEARS and companies have made mounts sprecifically for our battery... and I know that battery has worked fantastic for 95% more than it has failed for.... But most recently we have heard of it not working with the latest version of the Mustang.... so I'm a bit confused because I have only heard of this one one of a few of the Mustangs while other have worked fine.... so I don't know what is up. So I would love to have a open discussion with some of you.

So I will post up some Lithium facts in another post in a little bit, then those of you who can assist in some of the technical stuff can help me better understand any recent changes... because in theory the RE-START models should work fine in the Cars... so I have to find the years of those who say they had an issue. We developed the RE-START technology to prevent people from Damaging the Batteries because most damage was from over-discharging the battery, which damages any battery be it lead acid or lithium... So I'm trying to look into this to because this is a new problem for us, if it is even a problem, we have to figure out what's going on because we have not dealt with that before.
Thanks for posting. Sounds like it would be prudent for you to do some follow-up research based on posts 26 and 27. I realize you are
A small business but perhaps you can get at least two “donor” GT350s
To do your R & D on. Unfortunately, some of us in the past have been unwitting beta testers for products on our expensive toys.
Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I guess this is the kind of response I expected from you guys. Completely disregard the fact that your employee sold me this battery and then receiving an entirely different story from another employee.

This is not my first lithium battery. I personally have had nothing but great results until this one.

You’re attempt to discredit me is sad as well.

I installed it by the book and did everything I could on my end to make it work right.

If it wasn’t my car that was going to be the guinea pig then it would have been someone else’s, in this case CJGT350

Thanks to me you now know that there is interference between your batteries equipped with restart and the GT350 which was all done at my expense.

A wiring harness, full day of track time, track insurance, gas, hotel and track registration was lost due to this experience.

All I asked for was a refund for the battery and I was hit with a restocking fee for a battery that was purchased less than 2 weeks prior. In all honesty I was hoping to get an offer on alternative battery that would be better suited for my car.

As a business owner myself, I know that it drives customers insane when they have to consistently follow up.

If you remove the issues that this battery gave me along with the product, your customer service was at the very least poor.

I did not make my own thread about this issue. I told CJGT350 just to give him a heads up and he found similar issues and removed the battery.

I chimed in to do my part in making sure that other owners aren’t stuck on the side of the road as well.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
I guess this is the kind of response I expected from you guys. Completely disregard the fact that your employee sold me this battery and then receiving an entirely different story from another employee.

This is not my first lithium battery. I personally have had nothing but great results until this one.

You’re attempt to discredit me is sad as well.

I installed it by the book and did everything I could on my end to make it work right.

If it wasn’t my car that was going to be the guinea pig then it would have been someone else’s, in this case CJGT350

Thanks to me you now know that there is interference between your batteries equipped with restart and the GT350 which was all done at my expense.

A wiring harness, full day of track time, track insurance, gas, hotel and track registration was lost due to this experience.

All I asked for was a refund for the battery and I was hit with a restocking fee for a battery that was purchased less than 2 weeks prior. In all honesty I was hoping to get an offer on alternative battery that would be better suited for my car.

As a business owner myself, I know that it drives customers insane when they have to consistently follow up.

If you remove the issues that this battery gave me along with the product, your customer service was at the very least poor.

I did not make my own thread about this issue. I told CJGT350 just to give him a heads up and he found similar issues and removed the battery.

I chimed in to do my part in making sure that other owners aren’t stuck on the side of the road as well.
I do very much appreciate you reaching out to me. On that account I was on guard and after two short test drives I needed no further convincing it was not going to work. Fortunately for me and unlike you I had no issues once I placed the OE battery back in. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble. You returned your battery just prior to me doing the same.

Not my business but my $.02.....On new products when discussed with tech support the dots need to be connected. Clearly on the GT350 charging system the circuitry of the "Re-Start" system does not play well together. In other words no other "Re-Start" batteries should be sold to GT350 applications until more troubleshooting has been completed IMHO.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I do very much appreciate you reaching out to me. On that account I was on guard and after two short test drives I needed no further convincing it was not going to work. Fortunately for me and unlike you I had no issues once I placed the OE battery back in. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble. You returned your battery just prior to me doing the same.

Not my business but my $.02.....On new products when discussed with tech support the dots need to be connected. Clearly on the GT350 charging system the circuitry of the "Re-Start" system does not play well together. In other words no other "Re-Start" batteries should be sold to GT350 applications until more troubleshooting has been completed IMHO.
And I’m glad you ended up ok, and no irreversible damage was done.

I 100% agree.

After reading post 26 and 27 it makes sense that those settings in the pcm would cause these issues with the “restart”. So essentially the car may not have been charging it despite driving it for a good 15 minutes on the highway.

The voltage meter in the car was also sporadic as well.

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Lithium Battery

While I believe the weight savings of a lithium battery is significant for a track driven car, anyone looking at a lithium battery for a daily driver is overthinking things. Just upgrade to the 96R for $100-$160 depending on sale and be done with it, 3yr free replacement warranty, works with our electrical system flawlessly. The lithium will work better if you turn off the variable voltage battery management as others have mentioned, but is the weight savings of much benefit then if you need to use horsepower to make the alternator put out 100% all the time....

Sponsored

Antigravity Batteries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3 RS
Sorry Anchor... just not completely buying some of your statements. You are seriously angry I can see that. But we don't do re-stocking fees, we don't SELL you our products. Just not really our style. I will state that a employee actually would say it works in Mustangs because they have and DO... this is something new to me also that something isn't working. But he may not have known just like me... which is the reason I'm on here to better understand why some Mustangs aren't working with the RE-START feature.

But let me know who your were talking to so I can see who would ever say we are charging a restocking fee, or not refunding you if it didn't work.
I will still make sure you get any penny back on a full refund for sure... just let me know if someone tried any re-stocking fee or if we didn't fully refund you. I'm at [email protected]

Antigravity Batteries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3 RS
Hey all,

As one of the member said I think I could best serve this community if I found two good testers for the RE-STARTs. We need to get to the bottom of any potential issue. I already have a few doing the Mustangs, but this issue appears to be the latest models of the GT350s.

If your interested let me know. I'm looking for probably 2 people who are very intimate with their car and have a broad knowledge on the vehicle and it operation... meaning you should be a hard-core Mustang guy and have the latest model GT350. This will be about testing product and getting data. A-B'ing two different models Just want level-headed persons who want to test a product for use in their vehicle and who can provide good images, feedback and data back to us. We'll square you up with the batteries, and if they work you keep them. email me at scott@antigravitybatteries.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Hey all,

As one of the member said I think I could best serve this community if I found two good testers for the RE-STARTs. We need to get to the bottom of any potential issue. I already have a few doing the Mustangs, but this issue appears to be the latest models of the GT350s.

If your interested let me know. I'm looking for probably 2 people who are very intimate with their car and have a broad knowledge on the vehicle and it operation... meaning you should be a hard-core Mustang guy and have the latest model GT350. This will be about testing product and getting data. A-B'ing two different models Just want level-headed persons who want to test a product for use in their vehicle and who can provide good images, feedback and data back to us. We'll square you up with the batteries, and if they work you keep them. email me at scott@antigravitybatteries.
Always been curious how being an official guinea pig works. As Anchorman mentioned, he fried his engine wiring harness. If something like that or worse happens, do you guys do whatever it takes to make the car whole again? If so, are you limited by a certain $ amount?

Potentially getting a $400 battery for free, while risking the car's electrical system is something that doesn't make sense for me. Not now, not ever.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I suppose I should be perfectly calm after blowing 1000 bucks and having my car in the shop for two weeks.

1000 bucks may not be much to some but nevertheless I don’t like to see my money go down the drain.

I talk to 100s of people a week, I unfortunately cannot remember the names of the employees I spoke with.

Sponsored

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
Hey all,

I was the person who suggested the 2 car test. Your understanding and acceptance of that suggestion is a good first step. However, if you are serious about proceeding, I recommend that In addition to providing the two beta testers with free batteries, you consider both trying to locate owners who are close by your shop and you offer to assume any expenses for damages to their cars if caused by your products.

I don’t doubt that lithium technology, when fully developed, is very desirable option. However, you, as the developer, producer, and marketer of these products have a responsibility to your customers. Many of us own other toys besides Shelby’s, and many of us are active in other enthusiast forums.

A good reputation is difficult to earn and all too easy to lose. Just how it is. May be worth your consideration....

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I was about to pull the trigger on one of these batteries until I heard the stories. The people in question are respected members of this forum and there is merit to their stories based upon how they represent themselves consistently on a routine basis.

Scott, I think its great that you are here to cover this topic and its great of you to offer beta testing to gather data, but imho, you need to cover damages.

There is so much potential here that it would make good business sense to get to the bottom of this. Anyone who tracks their cars knows what each and every pound means and a battery swap with a dependable battery is by far the easiest and most cost effective mod.

Im all ears. However, I don't want to potentially damage my car and deal with a lithium ion Chernobyl disaster.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I've had RS30 battery in my Amazon cart for almost 2 months now... guessing I should delete it? I did think it was very promising considering one of the photos I originally saw of the cars it was used in was a GT350.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I pretty much avoid all conflict on the internet nowadays, since it's not much fun anymore. I also had ordered a battery recently with the Morris Eng tray. When I explained why I wanted to return it to AG, the owner had had been true to word and told employees to take the return and why. Pre paid label sent out. Can't complain about that treatment, but it was the easy case in that I had not installed it yet.

Would have been nice if nobody had any damage. Even worse, no explanation for the root cause of voltage fluctuations, or the wiring harness damage.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Well I guess if Anchorman said the Battery killed his unicorn you would believe that too?:headbonk:

While I feel Anchormans frustration and it probably legit to him.. but claiming the Battery fried his wiring harness is not really possible unless there was a short circuit or something... but that wouldn't be the battery... batteries don't spontaneously fry wiring harness, they can't.

I will state whoever bought a battery and is worried or it didn't work just return it and we will refund in full. Just get it back to us, no questions, no worries just call us tell us you want to send it back and we'll be done.

I won't be back on this thread but if you have any question about lithium batteries you can reach me at [email protected] or contact companies like Shorai, Ballistic, Braille or Battery Tender.
I’m confused. In your initial post you say you want to educate us on all the pros and cons of lithium batteries and answer all of our questions. You essentially tell us they work great if properly maintained, but fail to provide any of the technical info you said you would provide. Then you bow out after a few posts when potential testers want to ensure their car is taken care of when used as a guinea pig? The dichotomy in the tone of your first and last posts is a head scratcher.
Sponsored