Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Hey guys,
So many of us are always on the hunt for good ways to ditch dead weight on the GT350/Rs, and are familiar with the Braille lithium batteries. A newer entry to the market is Antigravity. They're US-based, and the owner, Scott, is a Porsche GT3 owner who's been active on Rennlist promoting the batteries. He has two new batteries now - the ATX30 and RS30. I had talked to Scott about him joining the forum and possibly doing a group buy for us on the ATX30, but he wasn't sure if the demand for lightweight lithium batteries in the GT350 community is as significant as it is in the Porsche community. So I've decided to guinea pig this myself. I had planned on posting a review once I receive the battery, but his site currently has a Memorial Day promotion of 15% off, so I'm posting now just in case anyone else wanted to grab one. The ATX30 is normally $399, so with 15% becomes $340. The discount doesn't apply to the larger RS30.

The ATX30 weighs 5.75 pounds, and the smaller dimensions than the stock GT350 battery should allow it to simply drop into the stock compartment, but I did also buy the spacer foam just in case. It has 30 Ah equiv (18 Ah true), and 880 CCA. I won't get into a discussion of conversions between lithium CCA and lead acid CCA, but it's plenty to turn over a V8. The stock battery is a group 99R (which I believe may be some Ford specific sizing equivalent to a 67R?), has 390 CCA (according to the label, though online listed at 470, so it may have changed or the way it's measured changed), and if I'm not mistaken 45 Ah. Weight is listed at 30 pounds, but I haven't weighed it myself yet. So the ATX30 has more cranking power, and 2/3 of the overall power capacity of the stock battery.

Something very important to note: one of the reasons for the expense of good lithium car batteries in the past was a proper battery protection and load balancing circuit built into them, often called BMS. The ATX30 has BMS - over charging protection, over drain protection, and load balancing between the cells. It charges normally off the car's alternator, and is therefore a drop-in solution. If the battery is discharged to a certain threshold, the battery has a built in cut-off reserve to prevent parasitic drain from taking it down to dead zero. For using an external charger/tender though, you do have to use one specific for lithium car batteries, which is also sold on the site for $59. You'll also need the SAE auto terminals that screw onto the battery allowing it to be connected to the stock battery connections.

Morris Engineering currently makes an aluminum bracket for the S550 Mustang chassis for his older ATX24 battery, which is a smaller capacity. On other forums, members have been happy with the ATX24, and been able to leave the car for a couple weeks without a tender and still easily start it again. So I think I'll be fine with the added capacity of the new ATX30 despite my car not being a daily. I did order the tender though. Scott said if there's enough demand he'll try to produce a CNC'd aluminum bracket to replace the whole battery tray in the S550, just as he's just done for the Porsche guys.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/atx30-rs/

No affiliation here, just providing the info for anyone else looking to drop 20+ pounds off the front of the car. I'll report back with more when the battery arrives.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I am really anxious to hear your opinion of it. After meeting and talking with you, I value your input. I am looking to offset the roll cage weight and the battery is the primary target.

Please let me know your impressions as soon as you can

Edited to add: screw it. I'm just going to get it. Thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
you will not be disappointed :)

39882981035_2b8b810964_b.jpg

after years of struggling with limited capacity and dead/dying lightweight LiFePO4 batteries, i have finally found the balance of weight and reliability!

edit: ah shit, you said atx-30. carry on! :D

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
you will not be disappointed :)

39882981035_2b8b810964_b.jpg

after years of struggling with limited capacity and dead/dying lightweight LiFePO4 batteries, i have finally found the balance of weight and reliability!

edit: ah shit, you said atx-30. carry on! :D

Is that the RS-20 or RS-30? Tell us more haha. It looks like the RS-30, which I didn't go with simply because it weighs more and costs more, and figured the ATX-30 would be suitable since I typically keep my car on a tender anyway.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Oh, and I'm in for one of those brackets if he will make them

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
It looks like the RS-30, which I didn't go with simply because it weighs more and costs more, and figured the ATX-30 would be suitable since I typically keep my car on a tender anyway.
Totally understandable. I DD my car, and often find myself traveling great distances (not towing) for races. It’s no fun waking up after a long drive in the middle of nowhere on a cold morning with a battery struggling to turn things over - if it isn’t already dead! Been there, done that, wish I’d known about Antgravity before killing a bunch of Battery Tender-branded options. If I didn’t have these demands, the ATX-30 would have been a no-brainer, but wanted to overkill things this go-around. - I’m sure you’ll be happy with your choice!

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
It's a good idea to have Lithium Battery in the car to save the weight. It's very cost efficient as it can drop 20+lb easy with couple hundreds dollar as the carbon fiber hood usually cost thousands just to drop about 10lb. Our car is 54/46 weight distribution as R is 55/45 because of the rear seat delete. lose weight on the front clips is a very good improvement.
I got another brand of smaller lithium battery with only 315A CCA and 21Ah weight at 3 lb. I have no issue to start the car at all as I daily the car. I have dashcam, radar detector and cellphone connected all the time with no issue. So this 880 CCA and 30Ah would be more than enough to run our cars.
Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I assume you acquired their battery terminal SAE connections?

Yep, I mentioned them in the first post. Though based on Boardkat's thread, it sounds like the taper might require some modification to get the one terminal to clamp properly.

Sponsored

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
I hope you have better luck with the Re-Start technology on the Anti-Gravity batteries then I and at least one other forum member had. Our GT350 electrical systems and voltage regulator DO NOT play well with the Re-Start circuitry. I suspect you will have the same issues. The issues vary from misfires to random electrical anomalies. Frankly, I am surprised they sold it to you without informing you of the issues as I worked with them closely on my findings and result of the swap to the older battery. We were running the ATX-12-HD with the Morris Engineering mount even though the mount was made for the older style battery it worked. I am now running the older style ATX12-24 720 cranking amp battery with no issues. The S197 group have been running this same battery for a few years as well. I have one track day on it with another next weekend and several starts/drives as well. I just keep it on a CTEK LiFePO4 charger/maintainer.

26_D14_C5_B-_BADF-4_FE0-954_C-343_DA738_ABBF.jpg

Build thread here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74433

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I hope you have better luck with the Re-Start technology on the Anti-Gravity batteries then I and at least one other forum member had. Our GT350 electrical systems and voltage regulator DO NOT play well with the Re-Start circuitry. I suspect you will have the same issues. The issues vary from misfires to random electrical anomalies. Frankly, I am surprised they sold it to you without informing you of the issues as I worked with them closely on my findings and result of the swap to the older battery. We were running the ATX-12-HD with the Morris Engineering mount even though the mount was made for the older style battery it worked. I am now running the older style ATX12-24 720 cranking amp battery with no issues. The S197 group have been running this same battery for a few years as well. I have one track day on it with another next weekend and several starts/drives as well. I just keep it on a CTEK LiFePO4 charger/maintainer.

26_D14_C5_B-_BADF-4_FE0-954_C-343_DA738_ABBF.jpg

Wow, thanks for the post. I was just looking to place my order this morning.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Wow, thanks for the post. I was just looking to place my order this morning.
No problem. Glad to help. I would not be concerned going with the older model as I did. As I said you just have to be diligent in keeping on a maintainer if not driving for an extended period of time. Shedding 20 lbs is nice especially above the front left wheel.

OP
OP
Demonic

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

Thanks for the heads up. Interested in how boardkat didn't have those issues with the RS-30 he mentioned above. I suppose there's something GT350 specific or perhaps the re-start threshold was kicking in too early on the smaller capacity battery. I've sent another message to Scott.
Sponsored