Job 1 vs Job 2 (shark fin) roof antenna and what they do

Myspotlessbrain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang
Yea, it comes down to personal preference. I failed to update this thread after I got the low profile antenna installed. I obtained a new blue plastic connector and put it on a low profile anenna and hooked it up. I set aside the coax above the headliner that was for the cellular communications part of the antenna. No more cellular data but the gps and sat radio work fine.

So anyone who doesn't like the look of the shark fin, you have options..... especially if you want to cut the data link to Ford.
Hi Tomster,

Great informative post! I’m interested in getting rid of my Shark Fin antenna as I’m going to be having the roof painted. I had a couple of questions. Is this antenna removed from under the roof by removing the headliner? Also, can you post a picture of your roof with the low profile antenna? Does it cover the holes left by the shark fin?

Thank you and great work!
Rick
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hi Tomster,

Great informative post! I’m interested in getting rid of my Shark Fin antenna as I’m going to be having the roof painted. I had a couple of questions. Is this antenna removed from under the roof by removing the headliner? Also, can you post a picture of your roof with the low profile antenna? Does it cover the holes left by the shark fin?

Thank you and great work!
Rick
Hi Rick,

You dont have to remove the entire headliner. The rear of the headliner is held down by magnets. If you pull down from the rear of the headliner, the antenna can be accessed for removal. Just use a ratchet with an extension and a socket. Take care not to crease the headliner. You will find that there are two wires that come out of the antenna. You only need one of the coax cables (see earlier in the thread which one is which. You'll need a new connector unless you are able to remove the one off the shark fin antenna. Let me knkw if youd like a generic version of that connector.

The hole in the roof is the same for a low profile antenna. There is no difference. You will loose cellular connectivity, which is needed to use the Ford pass app and its features. For more information on that, see my other thread pertaining to Ford monitoring your driving and sharing your data.

If you buy a new low profile antenna, it comes prumed and ready to paint. No need for adhesion promoter.

Myspotlessbrain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang
Hi Rick,

You dont have to remove the entire headliner. The rear of the headliner is held down by magnets. If you pull down from the rear of the headliner, the antenna can be accessed for removal. Just use a ratchet with an extension and a socket. Take care not to crease the headliner. You will find that there are two wires that come out of the antenna. You only need one of the coax cables (see earlier in the thread which one is which. You'll need a new connector unless you are able to remove the one off the shark fin antenna. Let me knkw if youd like a generic version of that connector.

The hole in the roof is the same for a low profile antenna. There is no difference. You will loose cellular connectivity, which is needed to use the Ford pass app and its features. For more information on that, see my other thread pertaining to Ford monitoring your driving and sharing your data.

If you buy a new low profile antenna, it comes prumed and ready to paint. No need for adhesion promoter.
Thank you so much for this information! It’s good to know that the low profile antenna fits in the same spot as the shark fin. Have you noticed any decline In radio/SAT radio performance?

Thank you again for all your work on this!

Rick

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thank you so much for this information! It’s good to know that the low profile antenna fits in the same spot as the shark fin. Have you noticed any decline In radio/SAT radio performance?

Thank you again for all your work on this!

Rick
No difference. The only reason the shark fin antenna looks the way it does is to incorporate the planar F cellular antenna. Take all that away, and you are left with the same components of the low profile antenna.

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
No difference. The only reason the shark fin antenna looks the way it does is to incorporate the planar F cellular antenna. Take all that away, and you are left with the same components of the low profile antenna.
On the ones Mustangs the low profile antenna (2018, 2019 and early production 2020) where is the cellular antenna since they also have FordPass Connect. I have a 2020 Ecoboost mfg 12/2019 with liw profile antenna and FordPass Connects works okay so the antenna has to be somewhere.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
On the ones Mustangs the low profile antenna (2018, 2019 and early production 2020) where is the cellular antenna since they also have FordPass Connect. I have a 2020 Ecoboost mfg 12/2019 with liw profile antenna and FordPass Connects works okay so the antenna has to be somewhere.
They're under the rear bumper on each side of the vehicle :)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
^^^ exactly. Job 1 cars have cellular antennas just aft of the rear wheel in the bumper fascia area. They also have a cellular antenna found on the parcel shelf just forward of the decklid. Job 2 cars have a shark fin antenna and share the same parcel shelf antenna as job 1 cars, but with the rear bumper cellular antennas deleted.

I discovered that when I disconnected my shark fin antenna, all cellular communications ceased. I had zero ford pass connectivity (which was measured over the course of a 75 mile drive). I have no idea why the parcel shelf antenna did not receive/transmit, but it wasn't until I found myself in range of an open wifi site that connectivity was restored.

My point is that if you are trying to disable all of the connectivity to Ford, you need to go to the TCU module in the trunk and disconnect the power/data harness. While you are there, go ahead and also disconnect both coax antenna cables. The coax cables are overkill, but heck, while you are there...... All of this is in the how to disable the datalink to Ford thread.

Thread was started with the goal of getting rid of the shark fin antenna for aesthetic reasons. I don't like the way it looks and it was an added bonus to discover what the shark fin antenna does and how it functions. It was a win/win to install the more aesthetically pleasing low profile antenna, and also to also take the first step in learning how the telemantics worked with your car and how to disable it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Andy: I'd never noticed any visible device while cleaning the car but I went out and looked again. The only thing I did see that I hadn't before is an odd symbol and what appears to be something like window heat wiring or a label of some sort, embedded in the w/s. (first photo, sorry about the glare from the lights)

odd-windshield-item.jpg

That "H" mark on the windshield if to show where the windshield wiper blade should be parked when the wipers are installed. There's a separate mark for each wiper blade.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase

That "H" mark on the windshield if to show where the windshield wiper blade should be parked when the wipers are installed. There's a separate mark for each wiper blade.
Very nice tidbit of information, thanks.

Sponsored

Codeman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang ecoboost
Ford Parts shows the single feed antenna splitting in the dash. Google image search for that part number looks like it might have some additional guts to separate the two digital signals? Maybe the shark fin version has the splitter guts in the base and thats why its huge?

For $16 maybe try adding this splitter between the new antenna and two coax lines in the head liner and see if everything is still functional. If so, shorten the leads and tuck it away?

1.PNG
2.jpg
What is the part number for this satellite antenna splitter?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
What is the part number for this satellite antenna splitter?
If you are going to switch antennas you dont need a splitter.

Codeman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang ecoboost
If you are going to switch antennas you dont need a splitter.
I am not changing antenna. I have a 2019 ecoboost base that I am installing an 8” screen and ACM from a 2019 GT premium. The new ACM has Sirius radio but I don’t have the antenna connection. Based on reading this it looks like I just need this antenna splitter so it can hook up to the APIM and ACM.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
FWIW, I have the low profile rain drop antenna and like Tom, I too wanted no part of Ford Pass. Checked the manual, found the "telemetry" breaker (#8 as I recall on passenger side foot well panel,) pulled it, and no more "ET Phone Home." Yes, it will kill the GPS but IMHO, phone navigation is preferable anyway.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
I have the larger sync3 screen but I did not option the voice activated satnav. I am using CarPlay and Apple Maps instead. Does anybody know if CarPlay can tap in the car’s GPS for better antenna reception?
If not, I’d be interested in removing it all. I don’t have a need for FordPass or SiriusXM.
Sponsored