Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The GPS and Sat radio use the same antenna on the roof. There isn’t another one.
My parts guy researched it and he found a satellite aerial that is located under the passengers dash. He is ordering it to see what shows up and we will go from there.

When my shark antenna was taken out two coaxial cables were present. I suspect one for the gps and the other for the sat radio. the low profile antenna has only one coaxial lead
Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I have one of these laying around....just saying.....Sorry I had too.......:blush:
antenna.PNG

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
My parts guy researched it and he found a satellite aerial that is located under the passengers dash. He is ordering it to see what shows up and we will go from there.

When my shark antenna was taken out two coaxial cables were present. I suspect one for the gps and the other for the sat radio. the low profile antenna has only one coaxial lead
The low profile version has a coax splitter built in the cable elsewhere (from page 2): "These signals are routed to the satellite radio receiver (integral to the ACM) from a splitter that is part of the GPS antenna coaxial cable."
Also from page two: "The GPS antenna (integrated with the satellite radio antenna) is used to acquire..."
Page 4: "The satellite radio antenna receives GPS and satellite radio signals. The signals are sent through the coaxial cable and splitter (part of the coaxial cable assembly). The splitter is used only on vehicles with GPS/satellite antennas,to separate and distribute the signal to the APIM ( GPS data) and the ACM (satellite radio data)."

My documentation is from late 2019. So those newer antennas may have a splitter built in....? Presume you can just add a splitter near the low profile antenna to connect the two cables you have. Where is Radio Shack when you need them?...

The documentation doesn't show any other GPS antennas.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The low profile version has a coax splitter built in the cable elsewhere (from page 2): "These signals are routed to the satellite radio receiver (integral to the ACM) from a splitter that is part of the GPS antenna coaxial cable."
Also from page two: "The GPS antenna (integrated with the satellite radio antenna) is used to acquire..."
Page 4: "The satellite radio antenna receives GPS and satellite radio signals. The signals are sent through the coaxial cable and splitter (part of the coaxial cable assembly). The splitter is used only on vehicles with GPS/satellite antennas,to separate and distribute the signal to the APIM ( GPS data) and the ACM (satellite radio data)."

My documentation is from late 2019. So those newer antennas may have a splitter built in....? Presume you can just add a splitter near the low profile antenna to connect the two cables you have. Where is Radio Shack when you need them?...

The documentation doesn't show any other GPS antennas.
I have the manual for my Rs, but they don't cover the '19 and up changes. Do you have a link to where you bought your manual? Is it the one that is hyperlinked between sections (ie if it references another procedure)?

I need to get the manual. I hate asking people to do my leg work. What you have done is very much appreciated.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

CycloneRy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
_
Ford Parts shows the single feed antenna splitting in the dash. Google image search for that part number looks like it might have some additional guts to separate the two digital signals? Maybe the shark fin version has the splitter guts in the base and thats why its huge?

For $16 maybe try adding this splitter between the new antenna and two coax lines in the head liner and see if everything is still functional. If so, shorten the leads and tuck it away?

1.PNG
2.jpg

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Ford Parts shows the single feed antenna splitting in the dash. Google image search for that part number looks like it might have some additional guts to separate the two digital signals? Maybe the shark fin version has the splitter guts in the base and thats why its huge?

For $16 maybe try adding this splitter between the new antenna and two coax lines in the head liner and see if everything is still functional. If so, shorten the leads and tuck it away?

1.PNG
2.jpg
I think that is the part that my parts guy ordered. He was going to get it and mess around with it to see if it would work. I'll keep all posted.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I have scoured through the workshop manual..... The manual seems to be based upon a Job 1 car. There is no mention of the differences in this system with the shark fin antenna. Does anyone have a manual that represents a job 2 antenna?

Job 1 antenna
20200828_172422.jpg

Job 2 antenna
20200828_172433.jpg

20200828_172708.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I took apart a job 2 antenna. It appears that despite the fact that they share the same circuit board, the two leads are each compartmentalized into to separate antenna systems. The blue coax seems to be part of the board that connects to the GPS antenna, as represented by the GPS receiver chip.

The black lead seems to be associated with a cellular antenna. That would make sense because ever since I removed the shark fin antenna, my ford pass has been dead, completely unresponsive.

On page 4625 of the workshop manual, the system description states that (and I am assuming this is referring to a job 1 car based upon overall system description) "the satellite antenna sends satellite radio and GPS data thru the satellite radio cable to a splitter (integrated into the cable). The satellite radio signals are separated by the splitter by the splitter and sent to the satellite radio receiver within the ACM.

Furthermore, page 4629 expands on the GPS/Satellite radio antenna as follows. "The satellite radio antenna receives GPS and satellite radio signals. The signals are sent through the coaxial cable and splitter (part of the coaxial cable assembly). The splitter is used only on vehicles with GPS/Satellite antennas, to seperate and distribute the signal to the APIM (GPS data) and the ACM (satellite radio data).

Additionally, page 4629 distinguishes between the primary TCU antenna and the cellular antennas. It states "the TCU antenna is used to boost reception for incoming and outgoing cellular network data. It is a compact, cellular phone type, planar inverted F antenna". The cellular antennas are described as "Two cellular antennas are used. The LH and RH antennas are positioned between the respective quarter panel and the rear bumper cover. They receive radio waves containing cellular data. The signals are sent through the cellular antenna coaxial cables to a splitter (or combiner) and then to the TCU.

Me removing my shark antenna reinforces the fact that the second coaxial cable is the primary TCU antenna, due to the fact that my Ford pass ceased to function as soon as I removed the shark fin antenna.

I do not feel it is necessary to take apart the job 1 antenna. I know what I will find. It will be a job 2 antenna minus the cellular antenna that was added.

My plan of attack will be to prove my theory when I get my car back from xpel.

I will advise how my theory pans out. Now it makes total sense. I just wish the manuals and documentation existed for Job 2 cars to reinforce my findings. Nevertheless, I dont care for Ford monitoring my every move and getting rid of this (really stupid looking) shark fin antenna is a step in the right direction.

20200828_173753.jpg

20200828_173818.jpg

20200828_173824.jpg

20200828_174118.jpg

20200828_174120.jpg

20200828_174124.jpg

20200828_174142.jpg

Last edited:

2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
You will sort this all out, I can tell. Likely the shop manual for another Ford vehicle (edge, escape, etc,,,) would have the antenna info your missing.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
You will sort this all out, I can tell. Likely the shop manual for another Ford vehicle (edge, escape, etc,,,) would have the antenna info your missing.
I am extremely confident about my findings. I'm not going to buy a manual for a car that I'm not interested in.

I will prove my theory when i get my car back.

Edited to add:
spelling correction outlined in bold above.

Last edited:

Ry Sweeney

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2017 Ford Focus RS
Hi Everyone,
very interesting thread, thank you!
It helped me in my decision to delete the huge shark fin which really disturbed me personally.
As I was having the roof wrapped anyways, it was a simple fix. To cover the hole, my wrapper guy slapped on a nice image of a cobra, no idea where he found that, but it is a little thicker so now the hole is not noticeable (see pic).
Now there is no Fort Pass functionality and probably no cellular or GPS reception which I dont need (or want) anyway. The regular radio still works however, I get the impression reception is less strong. Enough for my purposes though. Should I sell the car someday, the antenna can be reinstalled in a matter of minutes.

Cheers, Ry

shark fin bye.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Yea, it comes down to personal preference. I failed to update this thread after I got the low profile antenna installed. I obtained a new blue plastic connector and put it on a low profile anenna and hooked it up. I set aside the coax above the headliner that was for the cellular communications part of the antenna. No more cellular data but the gps and sat radio work fine.

So anyone who doesn't like the look of the shark fin, you have options..... especially if you want to cut the data link to Ford.
Sponsored

Last edited: