Job 1 vs Job 2 (shark fin) roof antenna and what they do

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My plan of attack is to replace the shark antenna with a Job 1 antenna (low profile). I had the shark antenna removed and it had two coaxial leads that connected to two coaxial connectors. This tells me that the shark antenna is physically broken down into two separate antennas inside the fin (satellite radio and GPS).

The low profile antenna I purchased only has 1 coaxial lead. This either means that the antenna has both GPS and satellite radio antenna built into the same antenna and uses the same lead or there is a separate GPS located somewhere in the car.

Does anyone know if there is a separate GPS located somewhere in the car (like the dash or by the rear view mirror) or if that antenna is indeed acting as both a GPS and satellite antenna?

If it is the latter, I could just hook up a splitter or get the manual and look at the wiring diagram. If the module that receives the job 1 antenna is the same as the job 2 car, then maybe only one of the two is necessary???
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@The Chairman

You posted a link in the shark fin antenna post that shows where the TCU and associated items. Do you have any intel on the GPS sensor location?

Some reading material for you.
1. If I am reading this correctly, the GPS & Sat Radio use the same antenna.
2. The cell system antennas are in the rear fascia behind the rear wheels.
- When I removed my rear fascia to install the tow hook I had to disconnect two items that I thought were the TPMS readers. Now I know they are the cell antennas. What a strange location. Minimize interference I guess.

Attachments

2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
@The Chairman

You posted a link in the shark fin antenna post that shows where the TCU and associated items. Do you have any intel on the GPS sensor location?
Going from the shark to the dome you would need to source and route an antenna for the GPS. This antenna in the early production cars was in the passenger side dash. There are a couple of threads here on the topic already, sorry I can't put my fingers on them at the moment....

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Going from the shark to the dome you would need to source and route an antenna for the GPS. This antenna in the early production cars was in the passenger side dash. There are a couple of threads here on the topic already, sorry I can't put my fingers on them at the moment....
@kilobravo

Please have a look

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Just a thought Tom, but perhaps you can just have somebody reshape the shark fin cover to look more like the dome shape cover? It’s gonna need to be painted anyway, so maybe reshaping of it can at the very least rid the shark fin look.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Here's a shot of the Job 1 gumdrop. While PM'ing with Tom, he asked if I'd take a look on the passenger side for the antenna.

I crawled in with flashlight and phone but the range was too short to focus very well at all but I immediately saw a cylinderical gadget about five inches long and three quarters in diameter. It's attached sorta kinda to the frame piece holding the dash and vertically-oriented.

It was the only connected widget that even remotely looked like an antenna on that side to me.

gumdrop-antenna.jpg

possible-antenna.jpg

2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Just a thought Tom, but perhaps you can just have somebody reshape the shark fin cover to look more like the dome shape cover? It’s gonna need to be painted anyway, so maybe reshaping of it can at the very least rid the shark fin look.
I suspect that one of the antennas is in an upright position, hence the fin look, and thus making it near impossible to reshape... Many hours with a Dremel type tool, I guess and anything is possible...

2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I thought i saw/read somewhere that the antenna was visible through the passenger side windshield, kind of where the dash meets the windshield and horizontal...

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I suspect that one of the antennas is in an upright position, hence the fin look, and thus making it near impossible to reshape... Many hours with a Dremel type tool, I guess and anything is possible...
I know he’s not interested in both antennas working anyway, it was just an idea that popped in my head. Only one way to find out, LOL.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I thought i saw/read somewhere that the antenna was visible through the passenger side windshield, kind of where the dash meets the windshield and horizontal...
Are you saying the antenna wire that runs to the roof antenna is visible, or there is a separate antenna somewhere where the dash meets the windshield?

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I thought i saw/read somewhere that the antenna was visible through the passenger side windshield,
Andy: I'd never noticed any visible device while cleaning the car but I went out and looked again. The only thing I did see that I hadn't before is an odd symbol and what appears to be something like window heat wiring or a label of some sort, embedded in the w/s. (first photo, sorry about the glare from the lights)

The second image is the best I could for a passenger side overhead view but if it's there and I'm blind, someone please point it out to me. (second photo)

odd-windshield-item.jpg

passenger-side-windshield.jpg

2020GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I don't have the answers, but at this point it would be worth getting a close up of @Tomster passenger side to compare to the pics uploaded....

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
MAN , i LOVE the dedication, all this over an antenna. This is something i would totally do also if i didn't like something. However i don't mind either antenna, deleting the antenna altogether that's the ticket, but nobodies painting there roof for antenna delete.....

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
paint it black and have it blend away? or White given your stripes?

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
@The Chairman

The GPS and Sat radio use the same antenna on the roof. There isn’t another one.
Sponsored