jacking rails.

Ponyupnow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Hey I know I've been posting/asking questions a lot last few days, currently waiting for an aluminum shifter bezel, wheels spacers and a response from a forum member on a pair of rear wheels that I will possibly picked up the weekend if he decides to sell.

That being said i want to protect the pinch weld that runs along the bottom and seems like even though there are products for that, they are not long enough to be effective as picture show with this 2 post lift. Any thoughts or info? Seems like it be better to just cut the rails and move a piece/s to where the actual lift/jack points are and just maybe leave a small rail part in the middle for when we used a floor jack

Jacking-Rail-Full-Length-Bare-Finish.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
you can get pinch weld pucks if you're worried about it. Or make your own out of hockey pucks.

But honestly there's really not a need. 2 post lifts shouldn't bend the pinch welds.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Taking the jack, center of gravity of the car, jacking rails and all that, you should have the solution at hand now? Yes? The lift arms are too close to the car and you can't adjust them to meet the rails?

If a unique setup, that the arms of the lift have to be placed in certain positions, yea, something akin to a hockey puck in-between the arm and the car. Old hunk of tire. Something like that. And actually, by the attached photo, it appears there is already something puck-like on the lift arm?

OP
OP

Ponyupnow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Taking the jack, center of gravity of the car, jacking rails and all that, you should have the solution at hand now? Yes? The lift arms are too close to the car and you can't adjust them to meet the rails?

If a unique setup, that the arms of the lift have to be placed in certain positions, yea, something akin to a hockey puck in-between the arm and the car. Old hunk of tire. Something like that. And actually, by the attached photo, it appears there is already something puck-like on the lift arm?
The puck thing you refer to is the regular pad that's attached to the lift itself. I was alluding that a jacking rail is supposed to be there to protect the weld. As you see in picture, it really doesn't do that unless you move the arms of the lift post...which isn't a good idea...you don't want it get the car off balance. I was just wondering as Skye said "weld sould be safe from this practice" i wonder then if jacking rails are just hype

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This is interesting. I was hoping the jacking rails would solve this issue, but it seems like they're mainly for jacking at home, not for shops with 2-post lifts. Hrm. Mine are still in the box ...

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I can see three options, two of which you might not care for...one I think you will.

My initial thought is simply bring in the arms of the jack a bit. The arms of the jack and all, it seems like the car is really close to the jack on that side. Usually, you do have some maneuverability. Maybe that's the bay and the jack, how it was all installed.

A second option is to go inward, towards part of the unibody subframe assembly in the front. In the rear, extend the arms towards the rear suspension.

The final option which is probably going to be most agreeable, is buy some hockey-puck like jack pads and remove the rails all-together; I found several different types on-line.

FWIW, I'll be going to rail route. I ordered my from Steeda today.

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
My apologies. I don't always explain myself well.

The main reason I'm using jacking rails is I want to protect the welds, but also, I don't have access to a lift.

The rails allow me to place a jack anywhere on them, slip a jack stand next to it, remove the jack and take the jack elsewhere.

Hotpart.com

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002, 2006, 2015 Mustangs
That photo was our first prototype that was being installed for fitment reasons. Our production pieces are slightly longer and go end to end. As you can see on the attached photos with a production kit being installed on one of our cars they are true full length. One photo shows just how far out we had to put the pads on the rack so we had enough clearance to get our jacking rails bolted on. The pads are hanging off the pinch welds and almost touching the front and rear tires.

Close-Up-of-Jacking-Rail-Area.jpg

Underside-of-Mustang-With-Red-Jacking-Rails.jpg

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Does anyone know if there are jacking rails where you can still use the OEM emergency jack on the pinch weld?

Last edited:

Sponsored