Jack points

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
Ok, so I'm going to raise my hand and admit that I may be doing things very wrong. There are two cutouts very close to one another at each corner on the pinch welds. I assumed one was for the jack to lift the car up high enough to place the jack stand under the other one. I have not really worried about a puck or anything, just making sure I had a good surface area of the jack, then making sure the jack stand was placed where the pinch weld was at the very center of the bottom of the U if you will.

From what I'm seeing, I should not be lifting the car via the pinch welds, but on a part of the frame (although all the videos seem to be terrible at showing where) then only using the jack stands at the corner pinch weld cut-outs. I haven't noticed any bending or damage, but I'm open to change certainly as I do my own oil changes and switch out summer/winter tire setups. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Ok, so I'm going to raise my hand and admit that I may be doing things very wrong. There are two cutouts very close to one another at each corner on the pinch welds. I assumed one was for the jack to lift the car up high enough to place the jack stand under the other one. I have not really worried about a puck or anything, just making sure I had a good surface area of the jack, then making sure the jack stand was placed where the pinch weld was at the very center of the bottom of the U if you will.

From what I'm seeing, I should not be lifting the car via the pinch welds, but on a part of the frame (although all the videos seem to be terrible at showing where) then only using the jack stands at the corner pinch weld cut-outs. I haven't noticed any bending or damage, but I'm open to change certainly as I do my own oil changes and switch out summer/winter tire setups. Thanks in advance.
You have things backwards. Jack at the jacking points on the pinch welds and jack stands on the jack stand areas shown in the diagram.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
You have things backwards. Jack at the jacking points on the pinch welds and jack stands on the jack stand areas shown in the diagram.
Well... there are two posts that have diagrams. The first appears to show that you place the jack stands on the pinch welds at the corners, then there are other circles at 4 points on the frame front and back, I'm assuming that is meant for where you place the jack to lift, but it does not specify.

The second post shows jack stands at the pinch weld corners but DEWHEL pad areas on the pinch welds as well, then highlights where a Steeda jacking rail would go. So my question still remains. Should you, or should you not lift the car by the pinch welds, or only on the frame? FWIW... I'm getting jacking rails before the next time I have to switch my tires late fall. But it would be good to know for sure in case I have a blowout or something... My current procedure is actually exactly what you recommend, so perhaps I was not clear enough.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well... there are two posts that have diagrams. The first appears to show that you place the jack stands on the pinch welds at the corners, then there are other circles at 4 points on the frame front and back, I'm assuming that is meant for where you place the jack to lift, but it does not specify.

The second post shows jack stands at the pinch weld corners but DEWHEL pad areas on the pinch welds as well, then highlights where a Steeda jacking rail would go. So my question still remains. Should you, or should you not lift the car by the pinch welds, or only on the frame? FWIW... I'm getting jacking rails before the next time I have to switch my tires late fall. But it would be good to know for sure in case I have a blowout or something...
Again, pinch welds are for lifting, the other points under the frame is for jack stands.

Reactions: kz

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Again, pinch welds are for lifting, the other points under the frame is for jack stands.
Interesting then that you made the following comment on the poster (Glenn) showing his car on jacks at the pinch weld locations. Unless he has jacking rails and they are on those. The slotted jack stand adapters are obviously made for pinch welds though. Not trying to be argumentative, its just that there is a lack of consistent messaging here. Either you can both lift and use stands on the pinch welds or you can't:

Holy foook! Thems some big-uns!

You could support the Eiffel tower with those...

Very nice though! I am thinking of getting a TIG welder for just this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting then that you made the following comment on the poster (Glenn) showing his car on jacks at the pinch weld locations. Unless he has jacking rails and they are on those. The slotted jack stand adapters are obviously made for pinch welds though. Not trying to be argumentative, its just that there is a lack of consistent messaging here. Either you can both lift and use stands on the pinch welds or you can't:

Holy foook! Thems some big-uns!

You could support the Eiffel tower with those...

Very nice though! I am thinking of getting a TIG welder for just this sort of thing.
Sigh.

This is what I was replying to:

" From what I'm seeing, I should not be lifting the car via the pinch welds, but on a part of the frame (although all the videos seem to be terrible at showing where) then only using the jack stands at the corner pinch weld cut-outs. "

Which is wrong.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Sigh.

This is what I was replying to:

" From what I'm seeing, I should not be lifting the car via the pinch welds, but on a part of the frame (although all the videos seem to be terrible at showing where) then only using the jack stands at the corner pinch weld cut-outs. "

Which is wrong.
You don't need to sigh. Just be consistent. You are telling me that I should lift via welds, but not put on stands at the pinch welds. Then say how cool Glenn's setup is when he has his car on jacks at the pinch welds. Is it "cool" and something you are looking to do, or is it not advisable to put jack stands at the pinch welds? I'm not being obtuse just not getting a consistent message.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't need to sigh. Just be consistent. You are telling me that I should lift via welds, but not put on stands at the pinch welds. Then say how cool Glenn's setup is when he has his car on jacks at the pinch welds. Is it "cool" and something you are looking to do, or is it not advisable to put jack stands at the pinch welds? I'm not being obtuse just not getting a consistent message.
Good grief. All I said is I liked the jack stands. Jack your car up from underneath the oil pan for all I care.

Ford = Jack on Pinch Welds, Jack Stands on "frame". Can you put a jack stand on the pinch welds? Obviously.

You do you though.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Good grief. All I said is I liked the jack stands. Jack your car up from underneath the oil pan for all I care.

Ford = Jack on Pinch Welds, Jack Stands on "frame". Can you put a jack stand on the pinch welds? Obviously.

You do you though.
A simple yes would have been fine instead of saying I had it backwards, then that it wrong to do, while loving the guys setup who had jack stands on pinch welds. Now saying it's obvious you can jack stand on the pinch welds. I don't think my question was a cause for so much huff puff and smartassery, but hey you do you. Thanks.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A simple yes would have been fine instead of saying I had it backwards, then that it wrong to do, while loving the guys setup who had jack stands on pinch welds. Now saying it's obvious you can jack stand on the pinch welds. I don't think my question was a cause for so much huff puff and smartassery, but hey you do you. Thanks.
You did have it backwards. So what? Did that upset you? The word "backwards"? Snort! Wow!

Then you got butt-hurt that I commented about some other guy's jack stands?

The huff-and puff, smart-assery showed up after you couldn't grasp a simple construct and kept asking the same thing over and over. Come to find you were just offended or some such. Whatevs.

Frankly, maybe if you had a friend or something that can show you what to do it would be more clear. I think you might be scared to jack the car up.

Sponsored

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely. Thanks for the information. Amazing how it can be delivered without being an asshat and saying go ahead and jack it up by the oil pan...

Last edited:

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Jacking Rails make life so much easier...

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
What's the reason behind the last part here? I have jacking rails, and if I'm putting the whole car up I jack on the rails and then put stands under the jacking points on the pinch welds. Seems solid/safe enough if you could jack there, so curious why it's not recommended.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Owners manual will show it. Vest advice is to invest in some full length jacking rails. Then the jacking points are anywhere along the side you want them to be.
Ok, um, what are these full leanth jacking rails?
newbie and never seen or heard of such a thing.
Also, who makes, sells these?
Thanks.
Sponsored