Sponsored

ISO Tuning help for Long Tube Headers

David Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
I have a 2018 GT. JLT CAI, Stainless Works (w/Cats) LTH, and Borla CatBack.

After installing the LTH, I uploaded a Bama tune from a RevX (SCT) tuner. After several miles, I tripped a few CEL codes including P0316, P0300, P0420, P0430, P06E4. The guy who installed my LTH ran diagnostics and showed the O2 sensors to be working fine. A rep at Bama advised me to install O2 sensors (LOL, I'll repeat what numerous other members say, don't ever waste your time with a Bama tune).

So I ended up hiring a guy to run a custom Dyno tune. He had very good references and told me he could tune my car and eliminate the error codes. When I drove off his lot my car was running nice and no more error codes.

Fast forward one year to a couple weeks ago and my car failed to pass the Maryland state emissions test - computer not ready error. Argh. I called the guy who tuned my car and he tells me for the first time he deleted the O2 sensor monitors in my custom tune file. Yes, I'm a little upset because this wasn't the type of tune that I originally bargained for. He's been working on sending me a new "emissions test only" tune but after the first tune fix stalled my car, I'm losing confidence.

So here are my choices to resolve this issue:
1) Demod and reinstall the factory stock headers.

2) Have faith that the Stainless Works LTH work as designed and advertised, and try to find the right tune/tuner. Does anyone know of a company who can send me a tune or even a good mechanic in the MD/DC/VA area who can guarantee my computer will allow an emissions test to complete?

Thanks for any advice you can share.
Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
If it is an obd check only, pretty much all tunes now days should pass. You might need spacers on the o2 sensors though.

Synergy720

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
This is one of those times that you need to make a decision. Unfortunately no tuner that I know of currently support 100% emission testing. With that being said, you can either stick with the headers and try to find a way around it. Your best bet being either Lund Racing or Palm Beach Dyno. Or throw your stock stuff on and rock a tune of your choice and just throw on the stock tune when you need to get inspected. As I said before, I'm not 100% sure if there is any tuner out there who can do that. But your best bet, email the REAL Mustang tuners and get some information from them.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
This is one of those times that you need to make a decision. Unfortunately no tuner that I know of currently support 100% emission testing. With that being said, you can either stick with the headers and try to find a way around it. Your best bet being either Lund Racing or Palm Beach Dyno. Or throw your stock stuff on and rock a tune of your choice and just throw on the stock tune when you need to get inspected. As I said before, I'm not 100% sure if there is any tuner out there who can do that. But your best bet, email the REAL Mustang tuners and get some information from them.
I don't think any tuner turns off emissions anymore, I believe you have it backwards.

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Livernois tunes are apparently CARB certified for what it’s worth. I ran them on my 15 with good results. But no emissions testing here so went another route on my 19.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
You need him to turn on all emissions he he turned off. Then buy and install some de fouler's. Then run a drive cycle and you should be good.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Put a stock 2018 intake back on, flash back on the stock tune, pass emissions, put intake and tune back on and be done with it. The countless threads and hours people spend trying to mess with tunes and emissions isn't worth it. Spacers don't always work while tuned. My 2017 GT never would go ready on the O2 sensors with everything "turned on".

The only way I passed with a tune was an old tune I had where the rear O2's were turned off and everything was showing ready, but the O2's were N/A and that still qualifies as passing here in Texas.

Sweetface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Fast forward one year to a couple weeks ago and my car failed to pass the Maryland state emissions test - computer not ready error. Argh. I called the guy who tuned my car and he tells me for the first time he deleted the O2 sensor monitors in my custom tune file. Yes, I'm a little upset because this wasn't the type of tune that I originally bargained for. He's been working on sending me a new "emissions test only" tune but after the first tune fix stalled my car, I'm losing confidence.

Give your tuner a chance with the "emmisions only" tune. I had the same issue and this is how I get my car through inspection .

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I keep seeing people struggle with this, but it seems to be a none event. Perhaps I got lucky along with the countless others. Seems to be way more work to undo then getting a tune with them on and some spacers.

samir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samir
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Revolution Automotive in Rosedale, MD is the only person I would trust tuning my car in Maryland. They literally ONLY work on Mustangs, it's like a Mustang museum in their shop, it's so awesome. Hit them up on Facebook Messenger and ask them if they can help.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Have you tried putting the stock tune back in? Headers don't require a tune, but tuners are still happy to take your $550.00 saying they do. This is the reason why closed loop fueling/lambda targeting and MAF scaling are so great...

OP
OP
David Cole

David Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Update - Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up taking my car back to the guy who originally tuned it - Excessive Auto in Manassas. He took a base tune with JLT CAI and made a few adjustments that allowed me to pass the emissions test. I now have two tune files - one for performance and second for emissions testing.
Sponsored