Sponsored

Is water leak from exhaust piping normal or an issue?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I purchased a used 2018 Ford Mustang GT earlier this year for which a former owner installed Corsa performance exhaust. Ever since ownership I have noticed a minor leak of water coming from underneath the brackets connecting the X pipe and axle back Corsa Performance mufflers. I assume it is due to condensation or moisture from exhaust fumes. Is such an issue or just normal?
Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I purchased a used 2018 Ford Mustang GT earlier this year for which a former owner installed Corsa performance exhaust. Ever since ownership I have noticed a minor leak of water coming from underneath the brackets connecting the X pipe and axle back Corsa Performance mufflers. I assume it is due to condensation or moisture from exhaust fumes. Is such an issue or just normal?
Its normal, that is your catalytic converter working its EPA Magic LOL.

" Main Reasons for Water Dripping Out From the Exhaust:

1. Engine Combustion and Water Condensation
    As combustion takes place in your vehicle’s engine whenever the vehicle starts, a mixture of water and carbon dioxide is formed. When the engine cools down completely and exhaust gasses exit the combustion chamber, condensation of water and carbon dioxide can be noticed much more, and in a moment like this, you notice water dripping from your car’s exhaust pipe. This is completely normal and you don't have to take your car to a professional.
  2. Catalytic Convertor Byproduct
    Catalytic converter plays a major role in reducing the pollutants that go into the environment. It transforms the byproducts of vehicles into substances that do not harm the environment. It converts the toxic waste products of the vehicle into non-harmful components as in water or gas form. Water dripping out from exhaust is an example of a catalytic convertor working at its best and this is not something that you should be worried about.
    Another issue specifically with catalytic converters is theft. In 2020 and 2021, the number of cases of catalytic converter theft has been rising dramatically. To learn more about catalytic converter theft and what you can do to protect yourself, click here!
  3. Condensation From Heat
    If your car is in a colder climate, it will need to warm up before it can work properly. This causes excess heat to be built up in your car and is later expelled through the tailpipe. That heat will produce condensation in your exhaust system, so you will see water droplets coming out of your tailpipe. This has the potential to be dangerous, but all you need to do is let the engine run for a few minutes before you start driving".

REF: https://wrench.com/blog/reasons-for-water-coming-from-the-exhaust/#:~:text=When the engine cools down,your car to a professional.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Oh snap!!!

nuclear-explosion.gif

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
Its normal, that is your catalytic converter working its EPA Magic LOL.

" Main Reasons for Water Dripping Out From the Exhaust:

1. Engine Combustion and Water Condensation
    As combustion takes place in your vehicle’s engine whenever the vehicle starts, a mixture of water and carbon dioxide is formed. When the engine cools down completely and exhaust gasses exit the combustion chamber, condensation of water and carbon dioxide can be noticed much more, and in a moment like this, you notice water dripping from your car’s exhaust pipe. This is completely normal and you don't have to take your car to a professional.
  2. Catalytic Convertor Byproduct
    Catalytic converter plays a major role in reducing the pollutants that go into the environment. It transforms the byproducts of vehicles into substances that do not harm the environment. It converts the toxic waste products of the vehicle into non-harmful components as in water or gas form. Water dripping out from exhaust is an example of a catalytic convertor working at its best and this is not something that you should be worried about.
    Another issue specifically with catalytic converters is theft. In 2020 and 2021, the number of cases of catalytic converter theft has been rising dramatically. To learn more about catalytic converter theft and what you can do to protect yourself, click here!
  3. Condensation From Heat
    If your car is in a colder climate, it will need to warm up before it can work properly. This causes excess heat to be built up in your car and is later expelled through the tailpipe. That heat will produce condensation in your exhaust system, so you will see water droplets coming out of your tailpipe. This has the potential to be dangerous, but all you need to do is let the engine run for a few minutes before you start driving".

REF: https://wrench.com/blog/reasons-for-water-coming-from-the-exhaust/#:~:text=When the engine cools down,your car to a professional.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Vehicle(s)
Perhaps my description was not clear or detailed enough. The water leak is not coming from the end of the tailpipes, I understand such is normal and the cause. The leak is coming from underneath the brackets/clamps that connect the back end of the x pipes to the front end if the axleback exhaust mufflers. I did not see such issue with my previous 2013 V6 Mustang.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Perhaps my description was not clear or detailed enough. The water leak is not coming from the end of the tailpipes, I understand such is normal and the cause. The leak is coming from underneath the brackets/clamps that connect the back end of the x pipes to the front end if the axleback exhaust mufflers. I did not see such issue with my previous 2013 V6 Mustang.
It just means that the connection isn't water tight. The conversion of exhaust gases, and the subsequent condensation that occurs as the exhaust gas cools, begins right after the cats. Drill a tiny hole for a drain if you want, but mostly, non-issue

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Try running E85, on some cool nights it looks like I have a blown head gasket. A bunch of steam coming from the tail pipes.

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape
Factory exhaust is one continuous pipe from in front of the resonator to the tail pipe. When a x of h pipe is installed, or an aftermarket exhaust, it must be cut. This leaves a place for the moisture to escape. A lot of the x or h pipes and aftermarket exhaust, just clamp together on the rear with just a butt joint and a clamp. It is nothing to worry about. Perfectly normal.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Factory exhaust is one continuous pipe from in front of the resonator to the tail pipe. When a x of h pipe is installed, or an aftermarket exhaust, it must be cut. This leaves a place for the moisture to escape. A lot of the x or h pipes and aftermarket exhaust, just clamp together on the rear with just a butt joint and a clamp. It is nothing to worry about. Perfectly normal.
Standard active exhaust has water drains in each muffler :like:

WD :like:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Same here. Not hurting anything and I did a leak check and I didn't feel any exhaust air so, I just let it go. I would try to retorque the clamps and see if that helps, If it still leaks to where it bothers you enough, Buy high quality clamps, reseat the pipe connections and torque or Have the connections/flanges welded, never leak again, BUT; you exhaust is pretty much one piece and if you had to remove it, that would be a little harder than with clamps.
Good Luck.

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
100% Humidity, E85, AC on, and idling for a few minutes and you can swim under my car.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I learned something new today.
I think the op was talking about the mid H pipe not the muffler, which do have seep holes to help prevent rust from water puddling in the mufflers.
Sponsored