Sponsored

Is the 10 speed really that much better than the 6 speed auto?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yep, it's great. I have been nothing but pleased with my 2018 Premium GT with A10. This thing pulls hard from the middle to the top and the A10 takes full advantage of the revised Coyote's powerplant.
Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I've always had manual transmissions in my sports/muscle cars and always preferred manual. I've had a few autos over the years and hated them. This is the first auto where I don't miss my manual 2012 GT one bit

RBINCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 10r80 GT, 07 GT500 Vert
A10 is great! Wish my GT500 had one.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
has anybody done a gen3 coyote swap with the 10 speed into a fox body? would be an absolute beast with twins. would be nice to have the time and money...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Go back to where you test drive the A10’s - tell the Salesman you’re very interested buyer that you need to drive again, but on a longer drive than the damn Dealership script of “around the block and back”.... take it on the highway, put the trans selector into “S” and smash that f’n go pedal...

Then come back here and tell US how a 10R80 is....

Yes... it’s.. THAT good... and I also came from a prior 2016 S550 w/6R80.... as well as the prior Fox era of AOD, and the Bronco world of AODE and E4ODs...

There’s no match or comparison to the modern 10R80 and I only see that trans being improved upon not only by Ford, but from the growing aftermarket...and large following of S550 A10 Enthusiasts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Yes. The end.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It's at least 40% better.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I was thinking like you last July when I bought my current 19GT PP1 10 speed. I had a wonderful 17GT CS with the 6 speed with only 9k miles, but I was considering adding performance items that would bring it to PP1 specs for some mild track work. When I started doing the math, and with all of the Ford discounts, I was only paying a little more for the new 19GT and then not having to do all the mods. The 17GT 6 speed Auto was a good street transmission. It shifted and sounded like a normal auto and I liked the Sport mode. The 10 speed is an amazing beast that shifts a lot but has a gear for every moment with enhanced performance and MPG. There's nothing wrong with the "old" 6-speed auto, but the new 10 speed is truly amazing. I love to just stand on the throttle and experience the acceleration as it rips through the gears.

Sponsored

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
Had a 16 A6 now a 19 A10. I loved the 16 so much I had to special order a 19 Prem GT A 10. It is great. I can paddle shift with co-ordinated foot pedal to imitate a manual. What is cool is to leave traction control off engage Sport and Sport+ and do burns in second and third without having to keep the throttle pinned from the start. Easier to do when you have 10 gears. I do show off some.:sunglasses:

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
My 19 GT is MT and I love to row the gears. My wife is getting a 20 GT A10 and I'm kinda jealous. At least I can get my fix of both.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
I think it really depends on what you want to do with it, mine is a DD, 95 miles a day and I prefer the the auto for this. Then again Ive driven many super cars like Ferrari’s, lambo’s and Mcclarens and guess what they all have autos. I grew up on manuals so I have some nostalgia for them but in my daily drive I fo prefer the auto. I dont think one is better than the other though, it a preference. I will say when you paddle a mustang 10auto its significantly less responsive than those other cars I mentioned. But I still like it a lot.

OP
OP
Shawn 94 GT

Shawn 94 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Mustang GT PP1 A10
I was thinking like you last July when I bought my current 19GT PP1 10 speed. I had a wonderful 17GT CS with the 6 speed with only 9k miles, but I was considering adding performance items that would bring it to PP1 specs for some mild track work. When I started doing the math, and with all of the Ford discounts, I was only paying a little more for the new 19GT and then not having to do all the mods. The 17GT 6 speed Auto was a good street transmission. It shifted and sounded like a normal auto and I liked the Sport mode. The 10 speed is an amazing beast that shifts a lot but has a gear for every moment with enhanced performance and MPG. There's nothing wrong with the "old" 6-speed auto, but the new 10 speed is truly amazing. I love to just stand on the throttle and experience the acceleration as it rips through the gears.
I appreciate all the responses guys. and hlh1, that is my mind set. I would have purchased the performance pack on my '17 GT A6, but for some dumb reason Ford didn't see fit to offer it. I traded a performance pack car in on my '17 (MT-82 issues and my own messed up knee) so I knew at the time of purchase that I wanted to add those parts back, and knew it would be expensive. I also knew the '18 A10 would have this option, but at the time, the '18s were just coming out, and they were much more expensive because of the new features. They have dropped down considerably now, and that fact makes this more feasible. While I could add most of the performance pack stuff back to my '17, It then becomes a modded car. Warranty comes into question, as does resale value, what if problems arise from the installations of the parts? For the not too huge price difference I get the new trans, what seems to be way more than 25 hp, and 2 years more on warranty. Plus, it's instant gratification. I don't have to buy the parts, wait for them to get here, and then have them installed and hoping the tech does it right. I just drive my '17 to the dealership, and drive out with all the stuff I want on my '19. To make the deal work, I would have to give up the leather, heated and cooled seats, and a few other things I don't care about. Not going to lie, I'm going to miss my cooled seats here in SC, but it does seems worth it. I am really surprised no one has recommended keeping my current car. Figured someone would have just said to modify what I have and enjoy it. If I do do it, I just hope I don't end up with a problem Gen III Coyote.
Sponsored