Sponsored

Is that....surface rust around my trunk?

OP
OP
The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks again for all the replies.

Someone asked if I had to drill for a spoiler install. I did not. My car came with one from the factory, so the upgrade was just bolt on.

I did not think to clay bar the area. I have the materials needed to do that so I'll give it a shot.

I decided against a dealer trip because, as someone else said, they'll probably just make it worse.
Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Naval Jelly removes paint.
I have used "Skyco-Ospho" for years and never had a hint of paint lift. Seems like I read lable years ago and it mention that product could be used for cleaning painted machinery parts.
Purchased a Old Regal that was covered in light rust underneath, no undercoating. Put car on lift and Ospho in a garden sprayer. Treated two times two days apart.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have used "Skyco-Ospho" for years and never had a hint of paint lift. Seems like I read lable years ago and it mention that product could be used for cleaning painted machinery parts.
Purchased a Old Regal that was covered in light rust underneath, no undercoating. Put car on lift and Ospho in a garden sprayer. Treated two times two days apart.
Same here. I’m not sure I’d use it in something that is painted white though. In my experience it doesn’t dissolve rust, it turns it black and rock hard.

Sponsored

CHEZER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies guys.

I will see what I can do with some of your suggestions. Also, no, the strut does not appear to be leaking any fluid that I can tell.

I'll keep an eye on it. I know it's a small issue but I'd like to address it while it is still limited in scope. Will update once I get some free time to try a few things with it.
Same here. I’m not sure I’d use it in something that is painted white though. In my experience it doesn’t dissolve rust, it turns it black and rock hard.
That is typical fillings from shipping usually by rail or could be brake particulate. Very mild polishing compound can take care of that.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm sorry, but I have to ask. What the heck in naval jelly?!
You put it on Naval toast. Not really very good but lots better tasting than Kentucky Jelly.

OP
OP
The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Work got crazy guys, so I'm sorry for the delay in responding. This past weekend I took some polishing compound to it and a lot of elbow grease. With time, it eventually came off.

To those who recommended Naval jelly, I hadn't heard of it before. I wasn't against trying it, but I already had polish at the house so it simply got first try. LOL.

Thanks for all the help. It looks like the paint surface is smooth and there's no issues beyond what was on the surface. Again, I'm thrilled with the car and figured it was something small but you guys know we can be picky about these things. Really appreciate all the help and suggestions!

Last edited:

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
I had the same on both sides of the trunk channel. Took it to the dealer body shop. They used polishing/ rubbing compound and the spots came out. When I got home I degreased the area with paint thinner, dried it, and applied silver touch up paint to the areas. Can't see anything, now, and the area is sealed.

TXAG96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21Bronco,'20Bullitt,'01Boxster,'87Tbird-Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this old thread.
I too have rust building up in the same area as the OP.
After a good cleaning today I noticed some rusty water dripping on each side of the rear window gasket I carefully pulled back the gasket to reveal something very unsettling.
I also noticed rust in the right side trunk hinge.
I wonder if I can get Ford to pull/replace the rear gasket and see if something bad is going on where the glass seals ?

2020 Bullitt w/ only 2k miles.
IMG-2007 (Medium).jpg

IMG-2008 (Medium).jpg

IMG-2009 (Medium).jpg

InkedIMG-2010_LI (Medium).jpg

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Get some iron remover (I used Adams Iron Remover) and see if it will take the stains off. May just be surface contamination
Sponsored