Is salt water bad for Ceramic coating?

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
If salt water is bad for Ceramic coating, this one will need to be redone….

saw this on the news, the car slowly rolled into the water, a brave maine lobsterman donned dive gear, jumped in and saved the driver. No more details as yet regarding why the person - who gladly, is supposed to be ok, rolled into the water. Hopefully they will recover in full

Click for detials
https://www.wmtw.com/article/maine-...e-that-ended-in-ocean-portland-beach/45864862

IMG_3237.jpeg
Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I thought saltwater was bad for anything that wasn't born in it. 🤷‍♂️

I saw how the article called the car a "Ford GT". 🙄
It may not be what's important in the story but how hard is this? Damn...

Also,
Mustang is now a verb in the water. Damn...

Last edited:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Man that is sad. Salt water will ruin all electronic connections and rust out the entire vehicle inside out. That car is gone. The plastic pieces inside the vehicle like the dash parts can be reused but for the most part the vehicle is scrapped. 😞 You will NOT want a salt water flooded vehicle as a fix-it-up-toy.

OP
OP
Jxp1962

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
My question was obviously in sarcasm, sad that the person would purposely roll themselves and any car into the ocean, or if it was accidental thats even worse… glad the lobsterman was so quick to respond and save the guy… oh and kind of ironic, i garaged mine yesterday to keep it free of the elements, and this one goes for a drink iin the ocean…

and shades, on the actual news they did indicate mustang GT… so at least they were right on the broadcast…

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I suspect there was a "medical emergency", and the driver was incapacitated before the car went in. Seems to be a lot of "medical emergencies" these days, with zero follow up on the cause. Especially to relatively young people.🤔

But I digress. Glad the driver was revived, and hopeful for a full recovery.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Man that is sad. Salt water will ruin all electronic connections and rust out the entire vehicle inside out. That car is gone. The plastic pieces inside the vehicle like the dash parts can be reused but for the most part the vehicle is scrapped. 😞 You will NOT want a salt water flooded vehicle as a fix-it-up toy.
^ This.

I've been warned that I didn't want a flood-damaged vehicle at all, and then I saw it for myself.
My future-stepdaughter's Mazda was caught in deep enough water that the engine stopped and the carpet got wet. We had it towed to a mechanic, and when they confirmed the engine was seized, it was time to call the insurance company.

By the time the insurance company responded, we were pretty sure the car would be a total loss.

We went back to the shop the next day for the kid to get her CDs, work boots and whatnot out of the car, and the wet carpet had already started to stink. 🤢
Stuff was growing in the insulation and carpet, and it could be a respiratory hazard in another day or two. 😷
...And that was from rainwater.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_3237.jpeg

The car kind of looks like a lobster with the wipers up.

Screen Shot 2023-11-17 at 11.57.51 AM.png

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Why didn't he simply hit the gas pedal harder to get out of the mud? Is he stupid??

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible
Ask anyone from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina…a renowning YES..
LOL
Grandpa Bill

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
That car is a total loss

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Se
^ This.

I've been warned that I didn't want a flood-damaged vehicle at all, and then I saw it for myself.
My future-stepdaughter's Mazda was caught in deep enough water that the engine stopped and the carpet got wet. We had it towed to a mechanic, and when they confirmed the engine was seized, it was time to call the insurance company.

By the time the insurance company responded, we were pretty sure the car would be a total loss.

We went back to the shop the next day for the kid to get her CDs, work boots and whatnot out of the car, and the wet carpet had already started to stink. 🤢
Stuff was growing in the insulation and carpet, and it could be a respiratory hazard in another day or two. 😷
...And that was from rainwater.
Several track friends have rebuilt flood cars here in Houston with great success. To the point I considered doing it for a while, with a Miata.

But this current car has taken up a lot of fun money that would be needed for a track Miata lol

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you can get one super cheap then take it all the way down to the metal and start over, like Kyle said they make good track cars. I wish I had the time right to take on something like that, would be a lot of fun. Some day, when the kids are off to college…