Is Homelink really that directional

Discussion in 'Infotainment and Electronics (Nav, Audio, Video, Bluetooth)' started by ManyfordsnoMustang, Mar 19, 2020.

1. ManyfordsnoMustang

ManyfordsnoMustang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
    0   0   0
    I access my garage from an alley and I back the Mustang in. I can open the garage door from the end of the alley with the Homelink button but when I leave the garage most of the time I have to back up past the alley to get the garage door to close. You would think the signal from the Homelink would be more unidirectional, not a huge deal but frustrating none-the-less.

Anyone else have this issue. Must be other's who back their car into the garage.

2. jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    I've noticed that the Homelink remote in my 2006 GT and 2016 GT both had really bad range, across two different brands of garage door openers. I replaced the openers at my current home with a couple new Chamberlains. Range went up by like 200%. It's possible that pulling in one way vice the other puts you out of range.

JR

3. Dadillac

Dadillac Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
    0   0   0
    I back my car in and have no difficulties. I pull out of the garage and am only about three feet outside (short driveway) and hit the button. Door always comes down

Don

4. GTthree50

GTthree50 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
    0   0   0
    Backing in does nothing to change the range of mine. I have double doors and two openers, one I can open easily from a reasonable distance when pulling up to my house, the other will sometimes not open until I’m in the driveway. With my Toyota I can open the door from six houses down the street. The range with the Mustang is significantly lower.

5. jimmerheck

jimmerheck Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
    0   0   0
    mine sucks. I pretty much have to be in the garage for it to open or close, so I bought a small transmitter from Amazon and dont even use the Homelink on the visor anymore. I do have an old opener, but the replacement transmitter I bought from Amazon works down the street every time. There are a lot of threads on this site talking about how bad the Homelink is on these cars. For some people.

6. southwestheat

southwestheat Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe 10A 401A 19" 3.55 B&O
    0   0   0
    I need to do this. The OEM transmitter in my '18 Edge was awesome. The Mustang one sucks. I just need one that doesn't rattle. Every opener I've attached to a visor has always rattled.

7. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    For those having issues with their garage door openers, extend the length of the garage door opener antenna.

It’s easy to do. Look for the antenna wire usually protruding from the unit on top or it hangs below it. If you don’t see a hanging or protruding wire, flip down the light bulb cover and it may be tucked in there.

Get wire that is the same gauge as the antenna wire. Splice the new wire to the existing antenna wire and extend it forward to your garage door or front garage wall. Leave excess wire hanging. The length of the extension and excess is determined by you.

Be sure when you extend the wire, pick a route that keeps the wire out of the way of the door and opener gear when the door opens.

Now you should have excellent signal strength from the Home Link and/or any other transmitter.