Is amsoil worth the money?

Bran2TheDon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp. Orange GT
I see alot of advertisement from them, but for 8 quarts and a filter is $90 for their signature series. Is it worth the hype?
Sponsored

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1

JennyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You'll get a lot of people swearing that's it's the best and only oil you should be using, regardless of what you do (and some of them drive their to get groceries). I've been using Amsoil but it's a pain to get. Switched to Mobil 1 that you can buy in every Walmart and it's just as good or better. As long as you change your oil relatively frequently, it doesn't really matter what it is (IMO)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bran2TheDon

Bran2TheDon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp. Orange GT
You'll get a lot of people swearing that's it's the best and only oil you should be using, regardless of what you do (and some of them drive their to get groceries). I've been using Amsoil but it's a pain to get. Switched to Mobil 1 that you can buy in every Walmart and it's just as good or better. As long as you change your oil relatively frequently, it doesn't really matter what it is (IMO)
If you need help getting it, shoot me a PM, I get it at dealer cost if your interested

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
If you need help getting it, shoot me a PM, I get it at dealer cost if your interested
Thanks but I am done with it - found eventually a store selling it fairly close to my work. Just didn't think it was worth it. I could order Mobil 1 off Amazon :)

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I run amsoil signature series and I love it. No regrets at all. And its not complicated to get. Order online from them, very easy and quick shipping.

At the end of the day I think it makes my engine run better. I look at it as cheap insurance. I do push my car hard a lot of the time and I live in a very hot climate. Yes, it's one of the most expensive oils on the market but the same argument can be made for the folks that go to Chevron for gas, or fill up with 91 when 87 will suffice. Cheap insurance is not a bad thing. If it gives you piece of mind then it's worth it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you really want a top end boutique oil that compares to or beats Amsoil, there some European brands that are ester based, like Ravenol for example. I'm of the opinion, it's also one of the best out there after reading about everyones experiences. I may try it myself, but only if I want to dump $120 on an oil change. It is a little cheaper than Amsoil too.

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
Personally I think for the money, PUP and QSUD are probably the best oils out there for wear protection, that is also affordable and much more available.

Even Mobil 1 and MC filters are just as good as Amsoil filters for a lot less money.
I second this. GTL base oils perform on par with PAO base oils but at a far lower cost. While they are technically a hydrocracked group III, their concentration is 80% Isoparaffins 20% Napthalenes vs most group IIIs that are 40% Isoparaffins 60% Napthalenes. This makes them highly stable and shear resistant as well as extremely high purity. UOAs show results that just as good as Amsoil oil and other Boutique oils at a much lower cost. The Penske Viper race team actually uses standard off the shelf PUP 0W-40 in their 24hr Lemans car, they don't use a race specific blend. Pretty impressive if you ask me for an off-the-shelf motor oil. It has a good additive package and strong foundation.

Last edited:

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think like others will say, it depends on how you quantify it. I feel better if I change my oil more frequently, and at the same time, I like to be able to walk up to wallyworld and get oil, so I don't use amsoil. I live out here where it's rarely cold, but frequently hot, so I run 0w-40, and it's easy to get in Mobil One. I'm sure there are better ones, but it is more than good enough for 5000-6000 miles.

I will say this though, I spent hours and hours pouring over threads on manual transmission fluids and in the end, did use Amsoil MTF. If you search on some of my posts, I created a google spreadsheet showing something like 15 different fluids. I used Amsoil not because of the name per se, but instead because it was very close to the average viscosity between the "thick" MTF fluid Ford initially used in the MT82 and the "thin" DCTF used in the 15+ MT82's. So far I am very happy with it, but again, I really think it's more of a viscosity function than anything else.
Sponsored