Amsoil vs Motorcraft

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I'm considering switching to Amsoil instead of what Ford dealership puts in my '15 Mustang GT. I'm looking for better city driving protection and an increase in fuel usage. I'm sure many of you use Amsoil in your S550 and would like to get your comments. Thanks
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Amsoil is a full synthetic while the Ford dealer is probably putting in synthetic blend. You will find many opinions on the subject. I'm a 100% synthetic guy in all my cars, but don't have any particular brand loyalty. I used to go Mobile 1 (when they were really the only one commonly available) then kind of moved to Castrol GTX and lately using Pensoil Ultra Platinum (from converted natural gas). Any full synthetic is objectively going to out perform conventional oil. This is particularly true in any "extreme" use case. The counter argument is that if you are changing on normal interval, for most users it just isn't going to make a difference. For a more robust discussion you may want to visit bobistheoilguy.com.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
TomcatDriver is pretty much right on target with his comments. I'll say you won't notice a mileage increase between fill ups. Conventional oil begins to break down sooner than synthetic, so if you change oil every 3k miles you are better off going conventional oil for the cost. If you'd rather change oil at 5k intervals synthetic is the better way to go.

There are a lot of scientific studies which show the breakdown of all kinds of oils in different levels of harsh operating conditions which lay out the differences in an easy to understand, well laid out presentation with lab results. Always an interesting read.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Amsoil Signature comes out on top in almost every independent test Ive seen in the past few years. In some of those tests by a large margin.

Whether there is any real life advantage to super expensive Group IV oil is subject to debate. Personally, I run a group IV double esther Motul in race bikes spinning 14k RPM with wet clutches but am fine with lesser well regarded full synthetics in my street cars. A current cost to performance favorite is Pennzoil Ultra-Platinum Pure but many brands have competitive products.

Conventional oils not only break down sooner but also break down under heat and pressure far quicker than synthetic. Probably not a big deal under most street car conditions.

Want to really geek out on oil testing? Thank/hate me later: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com

YMMV.

Last edited:

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Do a search on this forum and you'll find loads of info on this particular subject.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Motorcraft is totally fine. You don't need top dollar synthetic unless you are tracking your car every weekend. Otherwise you are just wasting money.

Tbird232ci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
The most important thing is to run a quality oil, and to change it when necessary.

Amsoil certainly is a great oil. I doubt for the money you spend on Amsoil, you would get that money back in fuel mileage or longevity.

I had a friend look up the cost of Amsoil for my previous car. For 6qts, it was 76 dollars. Mobil 1 was 30 dollars. I've run Mobil 1 in all of my cars. My 97 Trans Am has 212k miles on it and still has cross hatching in the cylinders. Take that for what it's worth.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Motorcraft is totally fine. You don't need top dollar synthetic unless you are tracking your car every weekend. Otherwise you are just wasting money.
This 100%.

Unless you plan on doing 10k mile + oil changes or will be running extended track sessions, more expensive oil is just flushing money down the drain. Almost any quality oil (motorcraft included) will allow these engines to last longer than you will own them.

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This 100%.

Unless you plan on doing 10k mile + oil changes or will be running extended track sessions, more expensive oil is just flushing money down the drain. Almost any quality oil (motorcraft included) will allow these engines to last longer than you will own them.
Hell for that matter I put 50k VERY hard miles on my 2016 Fusion and routinely went 10-12k on motocraft oil changes from the local dealership. Never had an ounce of oil related troubles from that car. I think people think and worry way too much about oils. As long as you have something in there, you will be fine. And then change it at a normal 5-10k interval (even if not synthetic).

The same people that worry too much about oil are also some of the ones that buy the cheapest gas possible. I think there is more reason to worry about that than there is oil quality or brand.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
There's enough information out there to make a conclusion that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is an excellent oil and Amazon usually has great rebates on it. I use it on both of my cars.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'm considering switching to Amsoil instead of what Ford dealership puts in my '15 Mustang GT. I'm looking for better city driving protection and an increase in fuel usage. I'm sure many of you use Amsoil in your S550 and would like to get your comments. Thanks
All oils are so good, you can't go wrong. Amsoil is reported to be great, but so is Red Line, Royal Purple, Mobil1, and others.

You will not see any difference in MPGs based on oil choice.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
No oil of the same weight as the manufacturer will give you a MPG increase. If you change the oil weight, you may see a negligible difference, but nothing drastic.

Use a synthetic blend or full synthetic and change at the appropriate intervals and they will all give you good city driving protection. It isn't so much about the brand of oil you use, but how frequently you change it.

People get all caught up in which oil brand is best. Of course the oil that someone is using is gonna be the best in their opinion. Don't get caught up in the smoke show because at the end of the day, a $30 oil change will protect your car as good as a $100 oil change.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
As long as you don't use muddy water, you'll be fine. Change it when you're supposed to.
Sponsored