Sponsored

Is a tracked vehicle a dealbreaker?

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't read the entire thread, but I'd say that if it's minimally tracked, at least you know it can be driven hard without any issues. From the few posts I read, the car seems reasonably maintained by the seller.

Also, I am sure the seller would also understand if you want a mechanic to give everything a good once-over as a condition of the sale.

Either way, I think the alternative is you sit in a dealership that definitely will try to get more money out of you and probably wouldn't admit a car was tracked when they sold it to you.

If you were getting scammed, he would have just replied "never tracked... ever"

Pull the trigger...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
When is the PPI? I would not provide payment until the PPI is complete.

Generally, the funds are coming from your banj/cu (assuming you are still financing). Generally, the buyer and your bank/cu will be talking as your bank/cu will want the seller to send the title direct to them via FedEx or similar.

The buyer can take the check to their bank whom then can immediately verify authenticity/funds. A certified check is different from a personal check. Funds are drawn from your account (or against a loan) as the time the check is issued. You can ask your bank/cu, but the funds should be available immediately. Also, you essentially cannot stop payment once itā€™s given to the seller so be cautious. Talk with your bank/cu to make sure you understand the transaction process.

As I previously mentioned, buy the seller. Note that the seller may may not do this very often and not know the ā€˜rulesā€™. And both of you are from different states, etc.

In the end, be informed and protect yourself and the transaction will go fine.
Oh I am not. This is why I pushed out the process until next Friday. We are going directly to a local ford dealership. He said something today about saving money and just take it to his buddies shop and get it on a lift so this way we can get under it and look at it all.

I said absolutely not. I am not a trained mechanic. Id rather pay the money to get it looked at by a trained mechanic.

Anyone use lemonsquad?

BryanCO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 2007 GT3
Oh I am not. This is why I pushed out the process until next Friday. We are going directly to a local ford dealership. He said something today about saving money and just take it to his buddies shop and get it on a lift so this way we can get under it and look at it all.

I said absolutely not. I am not a trained mechanic. Id rather pay the money to get it looked at by a trained mechanic.

Anyone use lemonsquad?
šŸ‘

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The FP350S mannual states that after 40 hours of racing conditions, the engine needs to be removed and overhauled.

So, with that said, it depends on how hard the car has been tracked. There are people who far exceed those hours and have zero issues. Honeybadger seems to be doing an overhaul about once a year.

As long as the car has been maintained, and the owner is being truthful about the track use, I would make my decision based upon that.

What's nice about these cars is that if it's still under warranty, an engine replacement (or anything else for that matter) isn't a big expense. Run the damn thing till it blows up and get another engine.

Once the warranty is up, then I would adhere to preventative maintenence overhauls as described (40 hard racing hours).

Another thing I would want to do is verify the car has not been tuned (if a warranty is important to you). To me, it is. If the car has been tuned, any mechanic, under the direction of Ford, may look at the amount of key on cycles and determine if the PCM has been flashed with a tune. If so, the warranty is void and Ford won't cover you.

So yes, I would buy a car if it was cared for and not tracked hard. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if it's under warranty and hasn't been tuned, you have nothing to loose.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
The FP350S mannual states that after 40 hours of racing conditions, the engine needs to be removed and overhauled.

So, with that said, it depends on how hard the car has been tracked. There are people who far exceed those hours and have zero issues. Honeybadger seems to be doing an overhaul about once a year.

As long as the car has been maintained, and the owner is being truthful about the track use, I would make my decision based upon that.

What's nice about these cars is that if it's still under warranty, an engine replacement (or anything else for that matter) isn't a big expense. Run the damn thing till it blows up and get another engine.

Once the warranty is up, then I would adhere to preventative maintenence overhauls as described (40 hard racing hours).

Another thing I would want to do is verify the car has not been tuned (if a warranty is important to you). To me, it is. If the car has been tuned, any mechanic, under the direction of Ford, may look at the amount of key on cycles and determine if the PCM has been flashed with a tune. If so, the warranty is void and Ford won't cover you.

So yes, I would buy a car if it was cared for and not tracked hard. It wouldn't be my first choice, but if it's under warranty and hasn't been tuned, you have nothing to loose.
Yeah i appreciate his honesty. He could have lied. Not my first choice either but he sounds like he didnt abuse it. He said he never redlined. Never drove it hard under 190 oil temp. Had a log of all the track time. Guy seems responsible and cautious like I am.

He said it was never flashed. Im going to a ford dealership and getting multipoint and diagnostic testing.

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Curious if the seller logs onto M6G and is watching this whole conversation.
I dont care. I have asked him enough questions regarding his tracking. I am sure he has his suspicions im concerned if it was abused.

He could be BSing me. I doubt it.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS

Anyone use lemonsquad?
Yes, I used Lemon Squad for the PPI on my Shelby. It had 3800 miles. The few things they found we in keeping with what I would have expected. Nothing that scared me away. But I think they were thorough enough they would have found most of the things youā€™d be worried about.

Also, @Tomsterā€˜s suggestion about the tune is a good one. Youā€™re gonna wanna know that and I donā€™t think Lemon Squads report covered it.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
To me, buying a tracked car is like buying used underwear with the knowledge that the previous owner had crapped their pants while wearing them. I'm sure they have been washed but it's still a bit weird. Even if I was planning on crapping my own pants while wearing them in the future, the whole situation is seedy. And this is coming from someone who tracks their car a fair bit.
While I'm not sure I 100% agree either way, I think your analogy would have been sufficient at just "like buying used underwear". The shitting-pants part was just superfluous hah. I mean would you buy and wear used underwear even if someone didn't shit in it?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
While I'm not sure I 100% agree either way, I think your analogy would have been sufficient at just "like buying used underwear". The shitting-pants part was just superfluous hah. I mean would you buy and wear used underwear even if someone didn't shit in it?
I found the analogy both distasteful and irrelevant. Something that sounds half-clever, but is not much pertinent to the subject.

Like most others here, I think a GT350 that was amateur tracked a handful of times by a honest enthusiast sounds pretty good, and myself I would chose that over a car with an unknown history from Joe Schmoe. Changing oil after every trackday when you're still a newbie (no disrespect intended, but unless you're the next Schumacher, how hard can you safely push the car after just a handful of trackdays? Not hard at all.) is certainly a sign of someone who cares for his car and is not apt to do stupid stuff with it.

Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
To me, buying a used car is like buying someone's used underwear. Buying a used tracked car is like buying someone's used underwear that the previous owner had "poo pooed" in. That's the distinction. Sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone with my ghastly language....

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
I have been told by people who are in the passenger seat going for a ride that they ā€œjust about shit their pantsā€ impressed with the performance of my car.
Iā€™m sure that my driving has nothing to do with itā€¦ā€¦ šŸ˜³

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Yes.

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I found the analogy both distasteful and irrelevant. Something that sounds half-clever, but is not much pertinent to the subject.

Like most others here, I think a GT350 that was amateur tracked a handful of times by a honest enthusiast sounds pretty good, and myself I would chose that over a car with an unknown history from Joe Schmoe. Changing oil after every trackday when you're still a newbie (no disrespect intended, but unless you're the next Schumacher, how hard can you safely push the car after just a handful of trackdays? Not hard at all.) is certainly a sign of someone who cares for his car and is not apt to do stupid stuff with it.
Yes that was my interpretation of the guy. He used wire to secure the oil pan plug because I guess he didnt like the way it was just a half turn and out. Seems cautious but not in a wiping his car down with diapers sort of way.

Its like when your lady asks you to choke her during the moment and then after you apologize and change her oil.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
He used wire to secure the oil pan plug because I guess he didnt like the way it was just a half turn and out.
Hmmmm...... sorta like this? The Rented Mule has been somewhat spoiled in it's retirement by a doting caretaker.

20221106_120637.jpg
Sponsored