Is a tracked vehicle a dealbreaker?

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
I purchased my 2019 brand new December 30, 2019. It now has 14,014 miles on it, uses no oil, Mid-Ohio HPDE 6 times (my son & I, count as 12-2 day events) driver side axle replaced (CV joint leaking). I would buy it.
BTW, what color is it ? If you don't buy it, I may have to buy it. My son has more track time than me, so I always get bumped down a class. Seriously, don't want to buy it out from under you but if you don't, I would like to check it out. Please let me know. :wink:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
I purchased my 2019 brand new December 30, 2019. It now has 14,014 miles on it, uses no oil, Mid-Ohio HPDE 6 times (my son & I, count as 12-2 day events) driver side axle replaced (CV joint leaking). I would buy it.
BTW, what color is it ? If you don't buy it, I may have to buy it. My son has more track time than me, so I always get bumped down a class. Seriously, don't want to buy it out from under you but if you don't, I would like to check it out. Please let me know. :wink:
Haha! Whats with the CV axle leakage? This car had that as well.

I have my airplane ticket already. Financing in order. PPI lined up. And shipper lined up. All my ducks are in a row. My boss actually bought my airplane tickets lol. I said naw I got it and he told me to shut the fuck up.

Its magnetic metallic

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Not much to add but with everything you stated about the records, its still under warranty for a good while so anything would be on Ford's dime correct?
Yes its a premium care warranty from flood

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
From the add, the car had track mods. But lots of people mod cars for show and either never track or infrequently track their cars.

First, be honest with yourself. This is a big purchase. Are you going to track it? Once, often. Track driving is mega fun but is expense (check out track insurance, consumables, maintenance, fees, etc) and is hard on the car. The car can certainly handle it but it does increase the wear rate.

Track mods rarely add value to the car.

Track use never adds value to the car.

Understand the set up to ensure it’s not hindering road use.

Sounds like you would be the third owner. Think of this from the fourth owner perspective. What will they be considering when they look at your car.

Get all the records (would walk if they were not available), get a PPI (plenty of tracked cars have had off and been repaired), research the VIN, don’t overpay, if anything, underpay (there will always be comparable mileage and condition cars that weren’t tracked competing against you).

For those saying they would rather have a maintained tracked car vs one not maintained or no history, that‘s irrelevant as why would someone settle for that situation.

There are lots of GT350’s, don’t settle, especially for relatively small dollar differences.
I understand that. Im honestly keeping for a while so not too concerned with resale. Unless you get lucky with desirable one offs or keep a car in a garage on a tender with 10 miles on it you never get your money back.

How often I track depends. I was going to get an R but then I decided to save money and use that for track insurance, consumables, training, etc.

I appreciate your level headedness with me and value the input you gave.

Could hear the guy shuffling through papers as I talked on the phone with him. He even repeated himself later and what he said matched up as I was typing all of the details.

The guys kids are getting of driving age and going to college so hes selling for funds and to avoid huge car insurance hikes. Makes sense. Its a believeable story.

PPI is getting done at a local ford dealership. I did an oasis already. Title is clean. Im doing an in person inspection.

I know track mods dont add value and im not paying for them. For what I am paying its a good deal factoring just the rims and warranty which i value and would do. All the track items are a bonus.

Maybe i track it a few times a year. Maybe more. My buddy has a GT500 and think we could have some fun together. I dont plan on beating on it. My goal is to have more fun than I can on the road in a safe and legal manner. Not in it to beat anyone or be the fastest. I have never tracked a car and i might hate it.

CorralesR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R HR067
I bought my car from a local luxury/sports car dealer but got in contact with the original owner. He told me he did 2 track days at Sonoma. Car is in perfect condition with low miles and service history at a Ford dealer. I got all documentation on the car and corresponding with the original owner sealed the deal for me. If the owner has taken care of the car and has good maintenance records I'd say go for it.

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
So after a long drawn out process trying to find the right car I found a great car. After chatting with the owner it was brought up he tracked the car a few times.

He seemed really enthusiastic about it and really knowledgeable on tracking so im wondering if it was more than a few times.

I still like the car and plan on tracking it myself so I guess it shouldnt bother me.

I was trying to avoid getting a tracked car, so this was kind of a bummer to hear. I appreciate his honesty though. Just kind of wish it was more upfront before I got emotionally invested into the purchase.

Like I already have money lined up. An inspection lined up. Shipping lined up. Everything besides the plane ticket down.

Curious others thoughts
Ask him which tires he was running on track?
A novice/beginner on street tires would not have really pushed the car
An advanced driver on dot race tires will make me pass on the car

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
As these cars are built to be tracked, I wouldn't worry about it as the existing owner is up front about it and has the maintenance records.
Not really.

4D11C815-1602-459F-A8A8-6BCBCE54984B.jpeg

0F766DF0-28CC-4586-B976-DE00707DCBF9.jpeg

D3D379C9-9DE7-45AB-8099-96D4DA0363A1.jpeg

955382B3-84B9-4FA8-8C82-EBAF6953A903.jpeg

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Ask him which tires he was running on track?
A novice/beginner on street tires would not have really pushed the car
An advanced driver on dot race tires will make me pass on the car
Had Michelin PS4s. Falken RT660s are new.

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
So someone mentioned social media. Good tip. So I took a look at the track group he mentioned and followed a facebook page of the group.

Saw his car posted twice on the page. Once in October '22 and once again December '22.

The October '22 he still had a passenger in the car. Presumably an instructor? Is having a passenger typical for a beginner/novice? The December one was a drivers side picture so tough to tell it looks like someone was in the passenger as the seatbelt looks pulled out and can sort of make out a helmet.

This pretty much matches with the story he has been telling of 3 times tracked it AMP novice instructed and 1.5 times cut loose. The only inconsistency is he said the .5 time was because a GT3 hit a wall. Then it was his tire shredding. Which he replaced on 1/9/23.

Damn I love the internet.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations, you’ve ended up with enough knowledge pick out a great one and don’t have to second guess your GT350. I haven’t tracked mine but I did ad ford Racing passenger side oil catch tank, Vorschlag camber, caster plates and switched to the better protection Amsoil that meets fords Standards . Mine also is the magnetic gray and it dances in the sunlight, looks mean like a super car in this color as well. I make sure that the oil temp is 170 or higher before I push it any. I also added the larger Steeda gas pedal for heel and toe. Enjoy your future with it, track it , learn what it can and can’t do. You’ll then become a safer street driver in it . Ask any experienced Autocrosser how well they know what seat time does . Completely different then a guy that Sunday drives to cars and coffee but will never know what his car can do under extreme situations.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not really.

4D11C815-1602-459F-A8A8-6BCBCE54984B.jpeg

0F766DF0-28CC-4586-B976-DE00707DCBF9.jpeg

D3D379C9-9DE7-45AB-8099-96D4DA0363A1.jpeg

955382B3-84B9-4FA8-8C82-EBAF6953A903.jpeg
Meh - I melted a Miata motor far worse than that and you won’t find a more bulletproof platform than those buzzy little bastards. Anything and everything can have problems

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Meh - I melted a Miata motor far worse than that and you won’t find a more bulletproof platform than those buzzy little bastards. Anything and everything can have problems
Totally agree.. heavy tracking is very hard and it’s why i would not buy a car that was used that way
A few beginner events on street tires, no problem

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Right color combo. Long warranty. Has all the mods I would want to do. Price is right. Extensive paper trail over every mod and maintenance. Adult owner. Seems responsible.
Do the mods void the warranty? Does the track time void the warranty?

Based on all the other comments, it seems like it is what you are looking for. Good luck, and if you end up buying, post up photos!

The staccato exhaust note is a thing of beauty.

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Do the mods void the warranty? Does the track time void the warranty?

Based on all the other comments, it seems like it is what you are looking for. Good luck, and if you end up buying, post up photos!

The staccato exhaust note is a thing of beauty.
These are just attachable mods. Nothing requiring opening up the engine or transmission. So I wouldnt see why.

You do bring up a good point. The added value of the warranty means nothing if they void it because of track use. Track use I didnt even do, mind you. This is why I like the this forum. I get caught up in the buying process I lose sight of the small things. Well this isnt so small. But today I realized I didnt apply for a temporary tag.

I guess its a moot point since I want to track the car anyways. Im not getting this car to sit it in traffic or in my driveway.
Sponsored