Sponsored

Is a GT too impractical for daily driving?

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
My fiance thinks I should just go with an EP since I probably won't use the power to its full potential.

Is this the same fiance that told you to get rid of the DIB Mustang that started all of this?

I don't want to give relationship advice, but...
Sponsored

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
I dont daily drive my GT i have it as a weekend warrior.
The thing that concerns me the most if i would daily drive it is parking spaces they always hit you on the doors please park as far away as posible. I prefer a daily beater its more mind relaxing.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Nope. I daily my 18GT, including hauling two kids around every morning (school and daycare), getting groceries, driving in the snow, etc. Does it involve compromises? Of course. Putting kids in the back without a rear door can be a pain, but it's worth it to me. I'm willing to put up with the minor things so that I get to drive a car I enjoy everyday.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I dont daily drive my GT i have it as a weekend warrior.
The thing that concerns me the most if i would daily drive it is parking spaces they always hit you on the doors please park as far away as posible. I prefer a daily beater its more mind relaxing.
If it happens it happens. You could get your door banged up a mile away from the store or right next to the store. You can't predict that kind of stuff regardless of what car you drive. In life, you gotta roll with the punches. If you want to daily the GT, don't let a lousy reason like you just listed stop you.

Btw, they sell magnetic door protectors. Put 'em on when you get out to go shop, take 'em off when you are done and ready to go home. Link

713ryW1NW8L._SL1500_.jpg

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Btw, they sell magnetic door protectors. Put 'em on when you get out to go shop, take 'em off when you are done and ready to go home. Link

713ryW1NW8L._SL1500_.jpg
Do they make a pepper-spray emitting model of those?

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Those door molds are only for doors though. I just had to do PDR on my Accord because some asshat lost his cart at Home Depot and hit my rear right fender then bolted. I saw it as I was coming out of the store and couldn't make it out fast enough to confront the guy. He knew what he did and left. Best part of this was I was parked in the very back away from everyone and he parked 2 spots over from me.

Works for doors, doesn't for carts that escape people that are not paying attention.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If it happens it happens. You could get your door banged up a mile away from the store or right next to the store. You can't predict that kind of stuff regardless of what car you drive. In life, you gotta roll with the punches. If you want to daily the GT, don't let a lousy reason like you just listed stop you.

713ryW1NW8L._SL1500_.jpg

It’s a frigging Mustang and not a Ferrari! The only way to prevent all of that is to store it indoors and rub it with a diaper!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]iSjS-iCPeW8[/MEDIA]"]

BTW: Right now I’m checking out a black ZL1 convertible. I didn’t even know they made such a creature. Now that is impractical. Just sayin. If it was a hard top I may have been negotiating this already!

Last edited:

Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I had an Ecoboost Premium before and was pretty happy with it, though I was planning on doing some mods. Sold it and am looking at buying an '18; dealer near me has the last Lightning Blue Premium with Performance Package in the area.

Some of you may know I have an obsession with DIB, so when I recently saw a '16 DIB GT up for sale I couldn't help but drool. I am so torn. I was really thinking about an Eco Premium, as much as I'd like a GT, because of the MPG and since I live in a suburb...and two of my neighbors are school principals. All the prissy neighbors in my area would be glaring at me all day long. I don't know why I even care, but everyone around seems to drive minivans & trucks and look down on anything remotely sporty. :shrug:

All that aside, is it just too impractical for daily driving? I commute to the city several days a week, otherwise local roads. My fiance thinks I should just go with an EP since I probably won't use the power to its full potential.

I drive my 17 GT PP 6-speed with Recaros to work every day, but I am fortunate enough to live fairly close [15 miles or so]. Love every second and I always drive in track mode. I am also one of the 'those' who brooms it off and covers it in the lot every single day. 7,500-miles and counting...

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Nope. I daily my 18GT, including hauling two kids around every morning (school and daycare), getting groceries, driving in the snow, etc. Does it involve compromises? Of course. Putting kids in the back without a rear door can be a pain, but it's worth it to me. I'm willing to put up with the minor things so that I get to drive a car I enjoy everyday.
Thanks, that is really helpful. I'm impressed you can make it work so well with two kids! We just have pets, though the fiance drives an old minivan that we can use to haul around big/messy stuff as necessary. I personally hate it and it makes me dread commuting even more. I'm really just looking at 2019 GTs at this point and wondering whether to wait for 2020.

OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A

713ryW1NW8L._SL1500_.jpg
Yeah, that sounds like something my over-cautious fiance would say. I got dinged several times in my Ecoboost. Worst was when someone hit my car in a parking garage (and I parked pretty far) and ran away...I came back to a nice crushed bumper & light. Can't let the possibility of bad things happening stop you.

OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Is this the same fiance that told you to get rid of the DIB Mustang that started all of this?

I don't want to give relationship advice, but...
Haha, same fiance. I understand how it all sounds and we are definitely working out some issues, though you can bet I don't put up with them silently. First time I bought a Mustang I barely told him about it because I could guess the fuss he'd make.

You know, it's funny because he actually drove a 2011 'Stang for quite a while...he doesn't seem to miss it much so maybe he thought I wouldn't either. That definitely wasn't the case. Previously I might've questioned how people could get so attached to their cars, but it's been years and I still feel like a piece of me is missing.
Sponsored