Sponsored

Is a GT too impractical for daily driving?

White_GT_CS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks, that is really helpful. I'm impressed you can make it work so well with two kids! We just have pets, though the fiance drives an old minivan that we can use to haul around big/messy stuff as necessary. I personally hate it and it makes me dread commuting even more. I'm really just looking at 2019 GTs at this point and wondering whether to wait for 2020.
If you keep on waiting then you'll never be able to pull the trigger.

I'd get the 2019s as well if you're getting a manual transmission, due to rev-match function.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang

I'd get the 2019s as well if you're getting a manual transmission, due to rev-match function.

Definitely 2019. The was a problem with the aluminum forks of the 2018 manual. Plus if you lost 3rd and 4th there was a 2 month wait for the fix as the transmissions were on back order. Why switch to aluminum for the forks on a muscle car! Then you still have the dropping valves and cylinder wall problems. The YouTube guys love this stuff as it gives them stuff to videotape but waiting months for a new transmission gets them seriously pissed off!

For what it’s worth I contemplated a 2018 during a weak moment (could not find any new 2017 5.0s) but too many people with too many first year refresh problems so I looked at Corvettes and ZL1 Camaros instead...

OP
OP

mustangshopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A

I'm afraid of that. I'm also worried I'll get a '19 and the next year, '20 will be a huge improvement or something awesome that I will regret not getting (like the comeback of DIB). As lame as it sounds I will probably get an auto as I have foot and back issues. Man I sound old...I'm only in my 20s!

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
The only thing that doesn't make this car practical for me is the fuel efficiency. Other than that it is the perfect DD (for me).

I also drove a roadster every day for 7.5 years and I thought that was perfect too. YMMV

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I'm afraid of that. I'm also worried I'll get a '19 and the next year, '20 will be a huge improvement or something awesome that I will regret not getting (like the comeback of DIB). As lame as it sounds I will probably get an auto as I have foot and back issues. Man I sound old...I'm only in my 20s!
I hate to say this but if you are still hesitant you should start checkkng out the competition. Heresy I know but if you’ve been at it this long and nothing is pulling you over enough then check some others out. The Challenger is a perfect DD and even one of the base V8s is good enough for me. Always Camaros but less DD in my mind. How about a real switch and get a Toyota 86!

Look, I was supposed to get a Hyundai Elantra and I just could not do it. I drove Mustangs for decades but the V8s here were all 50 grand which was way over budget. But I caught a look at this grey V6 and I checked the specs on my phone and it was faster than my old fox bodied 5.0s. I looked all over and under that car and it looked good and even the body panels were sturdy. I sat there, ass on the asphalt looking at it and my mind was made up. A quick check to see where the nearest black V6 Mustang was and planned the purchase and bought the next day. You’ve been thinking about his way too long so perhaps it’s time to expand you’re horizons.

Try out the other car forums as this one is obviously biased. There are Mustang owners who have had their new 2018 Mustang trannies replaced and now the motors crapped out and they just passed the friggin break in - and they still proclaim their love for Ford. I would be out there checking something else out if I was in that situation...

Emrys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I DD my GT and absolutely love it. It makes every boring, mundane errand worthwhile; just walking out to the driveway and seeing that 5.0 waiting for me makes me happy to drive somewhere (anywhere).

I’m in my 14th month of ownership, and you’d think the honeymoon period would be over by now...but no. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I DD my GT and absolutely love it. It makes every boring, mundane errand worthwhile; just walking out to the driveway and seeing that 5.0 waiting for me makes me happy to drive somewhere (anywhere).

I’m in my 14th month of ownership, and you’d think the honeymoon period would be over by now...but no. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.
All this, except over three years for me, and love it more than when I bought it.

Go test drive a few. If you don't love it, it's not for you, but it's definitely not impractical. The only thing it struggles with is trying to be a truck/SUV, hauling large stuff. Even then you can get a surprising amount in the car. 4 tires fit. Suitcases, golf clubs, groceries all fit without issue. It makes the commute to work an event and any excuse to go out exciting, particularly with choice mods that bring out the best of it.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned many Mustangs as daily drivers, no issues. However, I would no longer own a Mustang as a daily driver. I just picked up a 2018 F150 to replace my 2013 F150. I love driving my Mustang but I also love the space and peacefulness of owning a nice Truck.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Thanks, that is really helpful. I'm impressed you can make it work so well with two kids! We just have pets, though the fiance drives an old minivan that we can use to haul around big/messy stuff as necessary. I personally hate it and it makes me dread commuting even more. I'm really just looking at 2019 GTs at this point and wondering whether to wait for 2020.
I found out a long time ago that if you are able to enjoy driving the vehicle that gets you to and from the job, the commute becomes a whole lot less dreadful. On far more than a few days, getting into the car and tuning out the rest of the world for the drive home at the end of the work day has provided exactly the sort of CTRL-ALT-DEL mental reset needed. Whether the commute was 3 miles, 55 miles, 15 minutes or an hour and a half . . . or anything in between.

Don't worry about what the future might bring (do you really think that two years out you won't be still paralyzed by the same uncertainty?), or what any of your neighbors might think (that's their problem and their ulcers, not yours).

Like Bmac mentioned, a Mustang (any trim) is more practical as a car than it gets credit for being.

Norm

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I've been DD'ing a 2017 GT for 15 months now....winter conditions here in the midwest were a challenge on the stock Pirelli A/S, replacing those with Conti DWS06 solved that. Other than that it's been smooth sailing. Is it practical? Hahaha, it's a hi performance muscle car, of course not. I splurged on a Premium, having a few creature comforts makes urban commuter traffic more bearable. As others have written the best part of the work week is behind the wheel. Cars are made to be driven and life is short, enjoy every moment. The only downside is getting off work and seeing this.....

35903776772_d1d073335b_c.jpg
[/url]

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I dislike DDing my GT with the 3.73 gears. Gears are short and it revs up fast, always shifting and then when I'm trying to drive normally people in economy cars are able to floor it and zip by and cut me off. In my city, people are always cutting in front at the smallest gap.
I prefer my auto Corolla for daily driver duties.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am DDing my 18 PP1 with magneride, lowered on 20". It works like charm and it's fun and expensive :D

However jumping into a regular var one realizes the difference in road noise, the much more heavy steering though
Sponsored