Sponsored

Interlocking Garage Tile Flooring (Vented or Solid Tiles?)

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Hey guys,

I'm looking to install garage tiles in my double garage. Costco has a hell of a deal on them, and I'm trying to decide on whether I should go with vented or solid? I live in Canada, although my mustang is parked and stored under it's cover all winter, the other side of the garage is used for my daily driver (CX9). In the winter snow, sand, salt and debris come into the garage and collect on the concrete floor. Come spring I need to sweep this mess out, which is like setting off a dust bomb.

I've read mixed options online which tile is better for snowy climates. I understand that vented tiles allow the water to drain away, but at the same time it will collect all that sand, salt and garbage my winter driver brings into the garage each day. Which will require me to lift the tiles come spring... or at the very least shop vac what I can from the vents in the tile. On the other hand, solid tiles won't collect the sand and grim under the tile, but will require sweeping come spring, which might make clean up a little easier...

I was hoping that by installing vented tiles that it MIGHT cut down on dust that seems to be prevalent in my garage all summer long. I can't get away form it. Was hoping the dust would fall into the vents and perhaps limit the fallout on my black car. But if it means every spring I have a nightmare of a job lifting and cleaning the collection of street grim, it might not be worth the trade off?

Anyhow, any input is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 4.30.56 PM.png
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I went with solid tiles for exactly your thoughts above - I don't want to look at or have to continually vacuum/retrieve debris from the slotted tiles...

This is a good thread where some of us have posted pics of our floors:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/garage-floor-surfaces.43902/

IMO, the solid tiles are more maintenance free, easier to clean in the event of a spill or when car brings in road debris, etc.

OP
OP
quikcolin

quikcolin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
I went with solid tiles for exactly your thoughts above - I don't want to look at or have to continually vacuum/retrieve debris from the slotted tiles...

This is a good thread where some of us have posted pics of our floors:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/garage-floor-surfaces.43902/

IMO, the solid tiles are more maintenance free, easier to clean in the event of a spill or when car brings in road debris, etc.
Thats my thought process as well. Makes sense to me.
Thanks so much! I’ll take a look at the thread

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
If you're using Kiwi tile outside, you get the vented, so it can drain rain water. If you're using it inside, get the solid, because the vented tiles can be hell on your knees.

Sponsored

19gtMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aj
Vehicle(s)
19 Gt premium
If you're using Kiwi tile outside, you get the vented, so it can drain rain water. If you're using it inside, get the solid, because the vented tiles can be hell on your knees.
The vented tiles just look like they would tear your skin up if kneeling on them. I would have to think it would be a heck of alot easier to clean too. When i re-do my floor i am getting solid tiles. Right now i have garage epoxy paint and garage mat. Go solid FTW!!!

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Solid tiles will collect dirt & grime under them and salt crystals will collect and stick at the seems under/around your daily driver. Go epoxy but if you are dead set on the tiles lay 3 layers of landscape down first.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Solid tiles will collect dirt & grime under them and salt crystals will collect and stick at the seems under/around your daily driver. Go epoxy but if you are dead set on the tiles lay 3 layers of landscape down first.
I put layers of fabric under mine
My racedeck tiles are so tight. There is basically no grime between tiles, but I don’t do things like oil changes etc freely onto ground. I use a Mat etc. always wipe it all up. Actual dirt can’t get beteeen the cracks

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I put layers of fabric under mine
My racedeck tiles are so tight. There is basically no grime between tiles, but I don’t do things like oil changes etc freely onto ground. I use a Mat etc. always wipe it all up. Actual dirt can’t get beteeen the cracks
Not true, have you pulled your tiles up? I kept my floor so clean you could eat off it, I had RaceDeck as well. Loved the floor and mopped it at least once a week. When I sold the house I pulled the tiles up and sold them and you would be surprised at the dirt and grime under them.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Not true, have you pulled your tiles up? I kept my floor so clean you could eat off it, I had RaceDeck as well. Loved the floor and mopped it at least once a week. When I sold the house I pulled the tiles up and sold them and you would be surprised at the dirt and grime under them.
Yes I did pull them up. I have a crack in my slab so I pulled up 1/4 of floor to check concrete see if anything changed
Wasn’t anything under it.

But to be fair, my garage isn’t a working garage. I don’t park cars in there. I only kept a car in there over winter on tender and other outside

Now w mustang gone, it just stays empty w motorcycles being parked on one side. I don’t believe in putting cars in and out everyday unless a tornado is outside lol.

Sponsored

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Yes I did pull them up. I have a crack in my slab so I pulled up 1/4 of floor to check concrete see if anything changed
Wasn’t anything under it.

But to be fair, my garage isn’t a working garage. I don’t park cars in there. I only kept a car in there over winter on tender and other outside

Now w mustang gone, it just stays empty w motorcycles being parked on one side. I don’t believe in putting cars in and out everyday unless a tornado is outside lol.
well the op clearly said he has a daily on one side and his mustang on the other side as did I so I was answering his scenario, yours situation is completely different than his question and my experience

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
well the op clearly said he has a daily on one side and his mustang on the other side as did I so I was answering his scenario, yours situation is completely different than his question and my experience
But those cracks are so small. I don’t see how anything can get beteeen them unless it’s liquid form. Ie. Oil

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
But those cracks are so small. I don’t see how anything can get beteeen them unless it’s liquid form. Ie. Oil
Physics I guess but I promise you if you park a year round daily driver on the tiles you will get dirt, debris, dust or anything you wanna call it under those tiles, is it a big deal? no but it won’t be as clean as when you put them down. If you live in a winter climate area there is a strong chance you will get salt crystal build up at the seams from the daily driver, I have picture proof that it happens, the salt/water will go between the cracks and crystalize. If I didn’t have a daily driver to park on the tiles I would do it again all day every day. My garage wasn’t a “working” garage but my OCD was working overtime with the tiles.