Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hello,

After my first and second attempts went wrong, I finally decided to put a post here for help.

I spent a moderate amount of time in trying to search for the method but no luck.

I watched this first youtube video and the demonstrator got the housing off like a breeze by just pulling it, so I tried and realized this guide is for under 2017 models.

Then I watched another video and this time the demonstrator just popped the lenses off and replaced the bulbs, but when I tried the socket just pushed inside.

Now I'm in the car all dark and lonely calling out for help :(

So far, user HunterStang showed the most accurate way but I'm not sure if I can make that much of a gap between the housing and headliner.
IMG_7642.JPG

*****UPDATE*****​

IMG_7662.jpg

IMG_7664.jpg

IMG_7666.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help.

Some tips I can give for people who are planning to do the same job:

1. Don't be afraid to pull down the housing hard, you actually have to pull it down far enough to make some space so the tool can be inserted in between and squeeze the metal tab. Just don't bend/crack the headliner. Once the map light housing is pulled out, you can push the metal tab back in position and it won't be dangling when everything is put back together.

2. The metal tab has an upside down V shape that needs to be pushed on both ends. Work on the outer metal tab first and then the inner one. The inner one is more stressful to push in and out and it will just pop back in when you try to do push the outer one.

3. When you get one side off, working on the other side becomes a whole lot easier with more clearance

4. Be careful not to leave the housing hanging itself with only one side taken out like I did in the first picture. It will break the white circular plastic part of the still-attached-side that holds the metal tab due to its weight.

5. Use a sturdy tool that isn't too thin. These metal tabs are so thin and hard to push in.

6. You'll spit out lots of profanity. That's completely normal, just make sure there isn't anyone around you while you do the job.
Sponsored

Last edited:

acemastr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
The tabs are on the left and right sides, pull it down slightly and use a screw driver to push the visible tab in and it'll drop down further, then pull smoothly. Did this on Tuesday when I managed to push the connector in too far.

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
The tabs are on the left and right sides, pull it down slightly and use a screw driver to push the visible tab in and it'll drop down further, then pull smoothly. Did this on Tuesday when I managed to push the connector in too far.
Thanks I will give it a try today with necessary tools

Sorry to be of 0 help, but that made me laugh...
Haha.. the struggles :(

Akeldama

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Manual Magnetic GT Premium w/401a, Performance Pack and Active Exhaust
Ford used a much more substantial clip on the map housing in 2018+ models. I was certain that I was going to break mine when I tried pulling it down, but I eventually got there with multiple attempts. Use a screwdriver as Acemastr suggested and just put the gorilla touch on it, it will pop off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Min Ahn

Min Ahn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Min
Vehicle(s)
Ford used a much more substantial clip on the map housing in 2018+ models. I was certain that I was going to break mine when I tried pulling it down, but I eventually got there with multiple attempts. Use a screwdriver as Acemastr suggested and just put the gorilla touch on it, it will pop off.
Thank you!

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
They’re like freakin alligator jaw clips. I used every cuss word in the English language when I was changing my lights. And I broke my housing.

It’s rigged up there with super glue and tape and it doesn’t sit flush. I’ve got to buy a new one but hate spending $200+ on it.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I have done this on my 2018 and 2019 so I thought I might have some suggestions to share.

• They make a tool that looks very similar to what you remove clips with. This is the best tool for the job and you want a straight one so you can slip it in after pulling it down and depress both sides at a time.
  • Having someone to hold a light really goes a long way
  • Be careful not to break the plastic but if you can get a tool in you shouldn't need to pull down very hard. Once the clips let go it becomes substantially easier and comes down on it's own
  • When you go to put the housing back on, ensure you push the clips back onto the black plastic. Otherwise you will end up with a gap when you push it back up
Always feel free to PM me if you want some help.
Sponsored