intakes - 2018, 350, plazmaman, ported, etc

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I've been discussing with a few others figured I'd open this up to everyone. Building a 5.2, gen 3 ported heads, YSI (spinning to max+), small nitrous shot (100ish). Goal is as much power as it will make with the YSI. Originally, I was going to reuse parts of my current 2020 motor, but have collected just about everything but an intake now. I'd like to keep my 2020 intact for resale or maybe a spare until I build another motor; so I am buying an intake either way. The blower will be maxed out or near it, I am not going to a bigger blower or TT, or something else. Given that I was thinking I'd get a ported 2018 as it was only $250 more and even if that was only 5hp at this point why not. Then I started looking at a ported 350, figured maybe this will help a little more and it wasn't that much more (and might help more than the 2018 at higher RPMs). Then there is the plazmaman intake, which is considerably more than the ported 350. I really didn't want to spend 4K on an intake. Thoughts?
Sponsored

15GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I’m kind of the same boat as you but with a different setup. I ended up going with the ported Boss manifold. Based off the little info I could find, the ported Boss goes well with boost. There’s a boost proof option as well but I was told that’s for 25+ psi.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
What power level are you trying to achieve?

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
If I was going to change the intake on mine, I'd go the Boss route. The other advantage it would have over the gt350 intake is if you want nitrous or Methanol down the road, you can plum a direct port setup to the runners under the manifold. You could do the same with the 18+ or gt350 I suppose, but from an aesthetics stand point, it might not look as nice.

OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
What power level are you trying to achieve?
As much as possible, we'll sort of. 1200-1300. It wasn't so much a time or power goal but maximize everything within reason. For example I got ported heads. I used liversnois, I am sure they are great, heck I bought them, but there are more expensive options out there that probably will make a little more power. I probably could have got 350 heads and had them ported. But those options were on the order of thousands of dollars more.

Sponsored

D98gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Maddox
Vehicle(s)
I don't see a reason for you to change or even port a manifold with a combination like yours. Just run the stock 18+ manifold and see where you stand with the setup.

Often times, especially in the big builds, we end up buying the "best of" options and the end result is a combination which isn't actually the best by any means. Sure, the plazaman and Shauns manifolds look great but I wouldn't say required by any means.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I don't see a reason for you to change or even port a manifold with a combination like yours. Just run the stock 18+ manifold and see where you stand with the setup.

Often times, especially in the big builds, we end up buying the "best of" options and the end result is a combination which isn't actually the best by any means. Sure, the plazaman and Shauns manifolds look great but I wouldn't say required by any means.
This is a very common opinion, but I don't think the OP is looking for common results.

Slow306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
I was in the same boat and ending up using the Holley Race intake manifold. I liked my boss manifold but was scared that it would let go with 30+psi.

I doubt the Holley makes more power than the boss and it heat soaks unlike the polymer manifolds.

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
I have a friend going 7.8s on a ported boss manifold. 30 psi and never have an issue for a few years.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Then I started looking at a ported 350, figured maybe this will help a little more and it wasn't that much more (and might help more than the 2018 at higher RPMs).
Is a larger TB part of your scope ?
Using a 2018+ 5.0 manifold limits the TB size.
The GT350 manifold opens up the possibility to use a 100mm+ TB. Possibly even bigger if porting out the manifold TB sealing gland and replacing with a gasket.
Your 5.2 with ported heads will out flow the 18+ manifold/TB vs. the GT350 manifold.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Lund wants the stock TB either way, bought the ported 350. Probably should have saved the money with a 2018 but obviously like many others I have a problem; if I would have waited much longer I would have gotten the plazmaman.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Lund wants the stock TB either way,
They want the 80mm TB and you’re going for 1200-1300.
Have you considered a new tuner and ditching the Tru-X with stock mufflers ?

Last edited:

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I was in the same boat and ending up using the Holley Race intake manifold. I liked my boss manifold but was scared that it would let go with 30+psi.

I doubt the Holley makes more power than the boss and it heat soaks unlike the polymer manifolds.
I doubt heat soak is an issue at all with respect to drag racing.
Sponsored