Sponsored

Installed Borla Touring Catback, now drone...

OP
OP

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
The Corsa is exactly what I wanted. I can hear it under load, but not while cruising. No drone.

Every once in a while, I will have a day where the Corsa seems like it's droning. I need to get under there and make sure everything is tight again, I haven't checked sine the last install/re-install...

I'm super sensitive to drone, I can hear it everywhere, lol. So that being said, I am super picky about exhaust, and extremely hard to please. But hey, it's my damn money, I have the right to be picky.

Borla customer service was good to me. They sent me another system to install and try. They took both back and issued a refund. I can't complain about Borla as a company, their system for this car just wasn't for me.
Sponsored

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang | V8 | Grabber Blue
The Corsa is exactly what I wanted. I can hear it under load, but not while cruising. No drone.

Every once in a while, I will have a day where the Corsa seems like it's droning. I need to get under there and make sure everything is tight again, I haven't checked sine the last install/re-install...

I'm super sensitive to drone, I can hear it everywhere, lol. So that being said, I am super picky about exhaust, and extremely hard to please. But hey, it's my damn money, I have the right to be picky.

Borla customer service was good to me. They sent me another system to install and try. They took both back and issued a refund. I can't complain about Borla as a company, their system for this car just wasn't for me.
sounds like what i'm looking for tbh - having both systems how would you say the tone changes from the borla to the corsa? - i love how the borla sounds (gurgles) at the low rpm range - its just a bit too "hello look at me" as you move beyond 2k for my liking.

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting thread, and I want a deep burble as well. My SVE X-pipe w/stock mufflers are so far great, and have deepened in tone after 10,000 miles running the X-pipe. Weight reduction is my goal, anyone know the weight of the stock & borla's?

OP
OP

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
sounds like what i'm looking for tbh - having both systems how would you say the tone changes from the borla to the corsa? - i love how the borla sounds (gurgles) at the low rpm range - its just a bit too "hello look at me" as you move beyond 2k for my liking.
it's very similar. I'd say the Borla is deeper and louder. The Corsa is slightly milder and more refined. No gurgle, just consistent tone.

The good thing about the Corsa, is it's not constantly there like the Borla is. It doesn't resonate through the cabin like the Borla did.

One thing I don't like about the Corsa is the helicopter effect while idling. But to be fair, that might be my tune, E85, etc.

The fitment of the Borla was better. Their quality seemed better. The Corsa clamps suck. The Corsa is difficult to position, especially if you've already cut your resonator out.

Borla customer service was far better. I couldn't get Corsa to respond to my voicemails or emails until a vendor here intervened. They overnighted a set of clamps to me, and asked me for an update. I sent them an update and haven't heard anything back from them at all.

So, to recap, if you want a good, deep mild axle back, the Corsa is the way to go. Other than the poor quality clamps and poor response efforts from Corsa, I'm happy with the axle back.

1badrz28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corsa should be repackaging their clamps with a Dynomax style band clamp that holds and seals. I replaced my clamps because of the distortion on the tubing, which made disassembly quite difficult.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Corsa should be repackaging their clamps with a Dynomax style band clamp that holds and seals. I replaced my clamps because of the distortion on the tubing, which made disassembly quite difficult.
I have a feeling they made a change to their clamp selection at some point, or the supplier for said clamps made a change and Corsa is unaware. Mine has been tight and has stayed put for 8 months, though fall, winter, spring and now getting into summer.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I'd say the Borla volume at 2k is about the same as Corsa at 3k. At 5k+, I think they are pretty close in volume.

bobpies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang | V8 | Grabber Blue

buzzcii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Buzz
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Vert
How many of you who report no drone are driving Automatics? That could be the issue. My Kooks catback drones also. But it does it when in normal mode and on city streets. When I switch to Sport+ mode the drone is gone because the transmission is not up shifting to 5th and 6th at 35 to 40 mph. The Drone occurs when the engine is lugging in 5th or 6th at 1200 to 1700rpm
I can confirm that with Magnaflow Competitions. My Auto luggs in Normal mode and I have to play with the pedal if I don't want my inner eardrum tickling my head from the drone. Although, the kids love it. :clap2: In Sport mode, the pipes are best and bark like a wild coyote, especially when the 6R80 downshifts and winds (whines) out to 4-5K RPM.

Nothing is perfect. If you want hairy-balls-deep-roar sounding exhaust that is raspier than Phyllis Diller smoking Lucky Strikes for 25 years, you will most likely get a drone at some RPM. Otherwise, it will most likely be too quiet without any droning. Pick your peace bruh. :headbang: IMHO

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRlfSpgCFUrR6m3TsOmpT9S-62pig2wze

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
I just installed the borla touring catback and noticed the added cabin noise, has anyone moved to the x pipe to reduce the cabin noise?

I was just wondering if it's the resonator that is causing it since it seems to be coming from that area.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
I installed the stock resonator with the touring mufflers and it still had cabin noise.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
I installed the stock resonator with the touring mufflers and it still had cabin noise.
Oof oh well I am not sure that it is an issue yet, girl likes the added "bass" :lol: so maybe it's a non issue.

I am going to be installing the PP2 here pretty soon and replacing the fluids on all powertrain items and by then everything should be nice and broken in.

If I end up being annoyed maybe I will switch to another axel back and see how that sounds.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Oof oh well I am not sure that it is an issue yet, girl likes the added "bass" :lol: so maybe it's a non issue.

I am going to be installing the PP2 here pretty soon and replacing the fluids on all powertrain items and by then everything should be nice and broken in.

If I end up being annoyed maybe I will switch to another axel back and see how that sounds.
The X-pipe would be louder and have even more noise. In general, the deeper the note, the more cabin noise there will be, as lower frequencies permeate through sound deadening easier. There are exceptions but they have to be extremely well-designed to not make the trunk a big bass drum.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Are you referencing the Borla Touring Catback in post # 100?

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Are you referencing the Borla Touring Catback in post # 100?
Ya he is. The sound in the cabin is actually coming from the mufflers, not the resonator. I ran the touring and then switched back to the stock resonator with only a minor change in volume. The deep tone of the Borla mufflers just finds its way straight into the cabin. An X pipe will only make it louder.
Sponsored