Sponsored

Installed Borla Touring Catback, now drone...

OP
OP

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
Ya he is. The sound in the cabin is actually coming from the mufflers, not the resonator. I ran the touring and then switched back to the stock resonator with only a minor change in volume. The deep tone of the Borla mufflers just finds its way straight into the cabin. An X pipe will only make it louder.
Agree 100%

I also ran the touring catback with both resonators, and there was very minor changes in volume and tone. I was actually very surprised by it.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
bodam - did you resolve the drone? I had resonance at 2K RPM with both FRPP Touring Cat Back and Corsa Touring Axle Backs with H-pipe. I concluded it was not the exhaust systems. I capped off the sound tube and the resonance was much less - tolerable now... BmacIL suggested it may be the driveline...

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I've had a similar experience both with the FRPP Touring Catback and Corsa Touring (sport mufflers) Axle Back and H-pipe. Since I have the resonance with both systems, I think it's something else. It's been suggested to check the transmission mounts and other drive train components. It seems unlikely this resonance is coming from the exhaust system - but I'm still searching.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Bodam - are you satisfied with the loudness of the Borla Touring Catback? I previoiusly had the FRPP Touring. I liked the sound but they were a bit raspy for me. I am considering the Borla Touring Catback but I am hoping not to give up much loudness. Thanks!

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
No rasp with the Borla Touring cat back.
Have not heard the FRPP Touring.
The Borla is loud enough for me...actually a little more volume than I expected.
I do really love it!

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Bodam - are you satisfied with the loudness of the Borla Touring Catback? I previoiusly had the FRPP Touring. I liked the sound but they were a bit raspy for me. I am considering the Borla Touring Catback but I am hoping not to give up much loudness. Thanks!
Bodam swapped out the Borla Touring with a Corsa Touring, just like I did. That said, the Borla was definitely louder inside the cabin throughout all rpm ranges. It will be quieter than the FRPP Touring since it has a resonator, but that resonator also removes any rasp.

I'm guessing the Borla Touring will be a little too quiet for your tastes if you were happy with the volume of the FRPP Touring. I'd consider adding a resonated X pipe from Magnaflow (I can't remember the part number but there should be a thread about it somewhere on here) to replace the Borla X pipe. It will cut down on the rasp without dropping the volume by much.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Bodam swapped out the Borla Touring with a Corsa Touring, just like I did. That said, the Borla was definitely louder inside the cabin throughout all rpm ranges. It will be quieter than the FRPP Touring since it has a resonator, but that resonator also removes any rasp.

I'm guessing the Borla Touring will be a little too quiet for your tastes if you were happy with the volume of the FRPP Touring. I'd consider adding a resonated X pipe from Magnaflow (I can't remember the part number but there should be a thread about it somewhere on here) to replace the Borla X pipe. It will cut down on the rasp without dropping the volume by much.
Conversely, I would tell you that the resonated X-pipe cuts volume quite significantly compared a resonator delete, having had one on my car before. With the touring mufflers it will only be a little louder than the with the stock resonator. [MENTION=14181]Cascadia_302[/MENTION] has this setup. That said, it has no rasp at all.

I had it with the sport axleback and it was a very nice sound, but far quieter than the Xtreme catback I made it when adding the double X-pipe.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Scoggy Doogan - would you recommend using the FRPP Touring mufflers or the
Borla S-type mufflers with the Magnaflow resonated X-pipe? It sounds like you think the Magnaflow resonated X-pipe would not reduce the loudness as much as the Borla resonator? Thanks much!!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Scoggy Doogan - would you recommend using the FRPP Touring mufflers or the
Borla S-type mufflers with the Magnaflow resonated X-pipe? It sounds like you think the Magnaflow resonated X-pipe would not reduce the loudness as much as the Borla resonator? Thanks much!!
That's correct, it is slightly louder than the Borla resonator, but still far quieter than a regular X-pipe.

What volume level is most important to you...inside or out? I'd consider adding some bullet resonators to your H-pipe before changing axlebacks again. That would kill all the rasp of what you have and keep the tone, as well as the reduced interior volume.

Sponsored

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I like some volume inside the cabin but the outside tone and volume level is probably the most important to me. The Corsa Sport mufflers with H-pipe sound fine inside the cabin, but I don't like the tone outside (and the outside volume is more than is ideal for me, although I could live with the volume, if the tone was deeper) - I really prefer something deeper such as I had with the FRPP Touring Catback. Loudness and tone between the Borla S-type and Borla Touring or between the FRPP Touring and FRPP Sport would be perfect, but I'm not sure how to achieve that. Mixing and matching exhaust components is a bit risky - as it's not certain what you'll end up with... and it's very difficult to find someone with a similar exhaust. Maybe Borla S-type mufflers with bullet resonators.... Thanks for your help!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I like some volume inside the cabin but the outside tone and volume level is probably the most important to me. The Corsa Sport mufflers with H-pipe sound fine inside the cabin, but I don't like the tone outside (and the outside volume is more than is ideal for me, although I could live with the volume, if the tone was deeper) - I really prefer something deeper such as I had with the FRPP Touring Catback. Loudness and tone between the Borla S-type and Borla Touring or between the FRPP Touring and FRPP Sport would be perfect, but I'm not sure how to achieve that. Mixing and matching exhaust components is a bit risky - as it's not certain what you'll end up with... and it's very difficult to find someone with a similar exhaust. Maybe Borla S-type mufflers with bullet resonators.... Thanks for your help!
Maybe S-type axleback with the H pipe, perhaps with some small bullet resonators added behind the H? S type is nice and deep and has a little rasp but not very much. It'll be louder inside than the Corsa for sure.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Do you think it would be much louder inside the cabin compared to the FRPP Touring Catback? I felt the sound inside the cabin with the FRPP Touring was about right for me...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think it would be much louder inside the cabin compared to the FRPP Touring Catback? I felt the sound inside the cabin with the FRPP Touring was about right for me...
The S type will be a little louder. If you add the bullets I bet it's about the same, but deeper.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
Thoughts about manufacturer and size of the bullet resonators?
Sponsored