Sponsored

Initial Oil Change thoughts?

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Any dealer will do it. I do my own. I worked in too many shops and don't trust anyone to touch my machines.
This. Although I didn't work in a shop. Had to many times overfill and a few under. Over is just as bad. So I do my own now.
Sponsored

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
My subjective view: looks like Ford puts an oil that has a higher content of boron (from a post from a uk owner). So, Iā€™ll chose an oil with higher boron content in it just to avoidā€¦drumā€¦ the typewriter tick in a coyote engine

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
I'm gonna let the dealer do the initial change at 2000 miles (at 1300 miles now) in the spring and install the oil separator while it's there. Purely as a precaution since Fordpass shows 85% oil life still left.

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I've changed my own oil since day one on my 19 gt, (8 times total approximately) around 1000 miles then at 2000 then at 3k and around every 2-3k since on the factory plug, no issues with leakage or damage to the oring, I changed it last time I did the oil just because.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
I'm gonna let the dealer do the initial change at 2000 miles (at 1300 miles now) in the spring and install the oil separator while it's there. Purely as a precaution since Fordpass shows 85% oil life still left.
you mean the catch can?

Sponsored

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
What I am about to say is going to be controversial but break-in oil changes should be at three thousand miles and so should every subsequent oil change after that. I've seen too many engines with only a few thousand miles that are filled with sludge because of the shitty oil intervals these companies give out. Think of the future where 50 bucks worth of oil is far less than a motor.

Oh and do it yourself with a full synthetic :)

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I am about to say is going to be controversial but break-in oil changes should be at three thousand miles and so should every subsequent oil change after that. I've seen too many engines with only a few thousand miles that are filled with sludge because of the shitty oil intervals these companies give out. Think of the future where 50 bucks worth of oil is far less than a motor.

Oh and do it yourself with a full synthetic :)
oh definitely synthetic. always used mobile 1 on my 2014. honestly on that, i barely did 2k a year and i changed the oil every fall. if i donā€™t have to do this initial change at 1000, iā€™ll be happy. gives me more time to research this new oil plug replacement as well.

Ninpop9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang
oh definitely synthetic. always used mobile 1 on my 2014. honestly on that, i barely did 2k a year and i changed the oil every fall. if i donā€™t have to do this initial change at 1000, iā€™ll be happy. gives me more time to research this new oil plug replacement as well.
Yeah you want to make sure the car is fully broken in with the special oil they use from the factory, i'd wait to 3k.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah you want to make sure the car is fully broken in with the special oil they use from the factory, i'd wait to 3k.
that sounds good to me. i donā€™t know where i even saw 1000 mile change on a new car. the oil life is at 92%.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
that sounds good to me. i donā€™t know where i even saw 1000 mile change on a new car. the oil life is at 92%.
On my 2020 GT I looked all through the manual and read everything I could but nowhere did it say anything except an interval of 7500 miles, including the first change. I called 6-7 nearby dealers who all confirmed 7500 miles, although a couple said they prefer to do the first one at 5000.

I did my first one at a little under 2500 anyway and went full syn. Probably not necessary but Iā€™m old school and it just made me feel better.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
unsubscribing

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I have the same plastic plug on my 2016 Edge as I do on the my 2019 Mustang. I've done 7 oil changes on the Edge and never changed the o-ring yet. There is never any oil leaking from around the plug once you clean up the mess that it makes while draining the oil.

I've only changed the Mustang oil once so far. I did it at around 5000 miles which was a year from new. I had to buy a 15 quart drain pan. Biggest problem with changing the oil in the Mustang is getting it high enough off the ground, you need low profile ramps so the front end doesn't hit, but then those ramps really don't have much lift to them.

The other guys aren't kidding about how fast the oil comes out of that plug, it's like a fire hose spraying burning hot oil. Be ready for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same plastic plug on my 2016 Edge as I do on the my 2019 Mustang. I've done 7 oil changes on the Edge and never changed the o-ring yet. There is never any oil leaking from around the plug once you clean up the mess that it makes while draining the oil.

I've only changed the Mustang oil once so far. I did it at around 5000 miles which was a year from new. I had to buy a 15 quart oil pan. Biggest problem with changing the oil in the Mustang is getting it high enough off the ground, you need low profile ramps so the front end doesn't hit, but then those ramps really don't have much lift to them.

The other guys aren't kidding about how fast the oil comes out of that plug, it's like a fire hose spraying burning hot oil. Be ready for it.
yeah i watched some videos. itā€™s fast lol. i have ramps, and i put it on them once to see and only part that hits is this rubber flappy piece underneath and looks like itā€™s meant to flap and be flexible.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
yeah i watched some videos. itā€™s fast lol. i have ramps, and i put it on them once to see and only part that hits is this rubber flappy piece underneath and looks like itā€™s meant to flap and be flexible.
18 or 19in rims?

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)