Sponsored

Initial Oil Change thoughts?

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
So after my last wildly controverisal fun gas thread…..🤣
Serious question: what’s everyone’s take on the 1000 mile oil change on a brand new Stang? Is it necessesary?
Do you all do it yourself, or bring it somewhere?
I never once brought my 2014 3.7 anywhere for a change; i did it myself in my driveway once a year, because it was always less than 5k miles a year on that thing.
I would like to do the oil myself on my ’21 GT, but after seeing it uses a plastic oil drain plug, has me a bit worried if it craps out or something.
Plus, it’s 10qts now, so i need a MUCH bigger oil catch pan lol, BUT, i also have 48k MyFordPass Rewards, and I think that equates to maybe 3 or 4 oil changes for free!
Problem is my dealer i got it from is under construction, so I have no clue if their service is even open right now.
Just trying to get some thoughts!
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Any dealer will do it. I do my own. I worked in too many shops and don't trust anyone to touch my machines.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any dealer will do it. I do my own. I worked in too many shops and don't trust anyone to touch my machines.
and i agree 100%, which is why i sat around and waited for my tint and didn’t drop it off.
I just have free oil changes through points that it would be nice to use them up.
How‘s that plastic drain plug?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I've got a 17, so metal.

From what people say get a couple spares. I think I heard they last about 2 changes. I'd just add it to the cost of a change and change it everytime.

Rilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019 PP1
I do it myself, or take it to my dealership. This way I can only blame myself or my dealership.

You know to stay away from corner oil shops. Half the time the person working on those cars, They don't even know what they're doing.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
and i agree 100%, which is why i sat around and waited for my tint and didn’t drop it off.
I just have free oil changes through points that it would be nice to use them up.
I got an offer for free oil changes, it didn't seem worth much if I had to take it back even once for leaks/underfilled/overfilled/filter too tight/loose, wrong oil ...

The plastic plug is not an issue, it doesn't even need a torque wrench or new gasket. Just be ready for when you remove it, the oil comes out like a gusher!

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got a 17, so metal.

From what people say get a couple spares. I think I heard they last about 2 changes. I'd just add it to the cost of a change and change it everytime.
wow 2 changes? so it’s a consumable part? that’s kind of bullshit on Ford’s part. WTF

Rilla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019 PP1
I think on American muscle you can buy it aftermarket plug. It's a lot better than the stock

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Unless you are VERY lucky, you'll likely have a mini Exxon Valdez on your first oil change. The plastic plug is the dumbest thing I've seen lately. Put on a Ronin and forget about it.

I usually change oil the first time in a new vehicle at 1,000 miles, some wait until much later. Your call.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford recomends replacing the plastic plug with every oil change because of the o-ring. You can probably get away with reusing it several times, but at the end of the day that small rubber ring is the only thing that keeps your oil inside the engine. It's a risk I personally wouldn't take.

Ronin or UPR is the way to go if you're planning to do your own oil changes.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford recomends replacing the plastic plug with every oil change because of the o-ring. You can probably get away with reusing it several times, but at the end of the day that small rubber ring is the only thing that keeps your oil inside the engine. It's a risk I personally wouldn't take.

Ronin or UPR is the way to go if you're planning to do your own oil changes.
what is this ronin and upr?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Ford recomends replacing the plastic plug with every oil change because of the o-ring.
This is not in my 2019 service manual, is there a TSB about this? If so I need to get some new drain plugs!

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
It's an oil drain plug that allows you to drain the oil easily, in a controllable manner, without removing the plug itself.

https://roninfactory.com/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

https://www.uprproducts.com/upr-ford-easy-oil-drain-valve-for-mustang-f150-raptor-edge-explorer/
I believe a couple of people on this forum have posted threads where the magnetic tips of the UPR plug has gotten free and swam around in the oil or something along those lines.

Also, people who track their S550s have reported aftermarket plugs being ejected causing them to pour out all of their oil on the track. This doesn't seem to be a concern for daily driving.
Sponsored