Sponsored

If you were buying a stripped GT with one option what would it be?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So, not possible to just do a firmware update? I guess the dampers are way different?
the orifice bias is different. Though alternate tuning would be icing on the cake.
Sponsored

Ghorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a base 2018 GT. Only option being the 10r80. I like to build the rest of it the way I want it. I hate that you have to pick things you want in a package, just like cable tv.

degajake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium 6MT
I have a premium 21ā€™ with the only option being the b&o system. I knew iā€™d be changing a lot and the only thing I wanted straight from factory was decent speakers

RacerX#99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Auto, 2018 Edge SEL
Don't knock those 60s baby.:sunglasses:

Properly optioned Big Block vettes were turning upper 11s with minor mods. So were the Hemis. 302 Z-28s were in the 12s no problem. And they could do it on bias street tires.

The Mustang is portly anyway you slice it.

There's lot to be said for a 3200lb car with 460++ HP.

One thing for sure. HP is in such abundance, weight is not the issue it once was on the street.

Ask ANY racer how they feel about weight?

I would not want to go past the 140mph mark in almost any car from the 6-70s era. They like to take off like airplanes. My 1963 C2 was literally shaped like a wing. šŸ˜³
I spent many days at E-town with a bone stock 428 CJ and never got into the 13,s. Tuned 50 GTs are getting into the 11s. Gotta love that 10 speed. Everybody knows the same story "the older I get the faster I was"

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I spent many days at E-town with a bone stock 428 CJ and never got into the 13,s. Tuned 50 GTs are getting into the 11s. Gotta love that 10 speed. Everybody knows the same story "the older I get the faster I was"
AT 10.25 to 1 compression and a hydraulic cam I am not surprised.
428 CJ is no LS6 BB vette.

Oh,what year was your CJ?

This one has 2x4s still a slug. But real pretty.

Older I get the less yarns I spin.
1643859826114.png

shelby 1.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
The black accent package. The base GT is great, manual trans is a must. Everything else I want to build my way. The PP stuff is like cable, sure you can have HBO but you have to pay for Showtime too. No thanks.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
AT 10.25 to 1 compression and a hydraulic cam I am not surprised.
428 CJ is no LS6 BB vette.

Oh,what year was your CJ?
August 1971 Car Life Magazine:

1971ChevroletCorvette13.72102.04454 LS64504-sd3.36CL 8/71

Thereā€˜s your LS6 BB Corvette.

The 1968 427/435 3x2 was actually a little faster:

13.30@108 per Hi-Performance Cars mag 5/68.

Current stock Mustang GTs =high 11sā€”>low 12s/~118+.

Understand that as was the practice in those days these old cars were likely juiced a bit by the manufacturer.

It makes me sad to crush my own memories but itā€™s just math. And I do really love the level of performance from these bone stock GTs. Itā€™s hard to believe for the $.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
August 1971 Car Life Magazine:

1971ChevroletCorvette13.72102.04454 LS64504-sd3.36CL 8/71

Thereā€˜s your LS6 BB Corvette.

The 1968 427/435 3x2 was actually a little faster:

13.30@108 per Hi-Performance Cars mag 5/68.

Current stock Mustang GTs =high 11sā€”>low 12s/~118+.

Understand that as was the practice in those days these old cars were likely juiced a bit by the manufacturer.

It makes me sad to crush my own memories but itā€™s just math. And I do really love the level of performance from these bone stock GTs. Itā€™s hard to believe for the $.
Speed of the current Mustang was never in question.

Don't believe everything you read. šŸ˜„

A little perspective.

3.31 is a cruising gear. On the strip these ran 4.56 gears in many cases
Transmission and rear end choices will bring that into the 11s

I understood it well. I was there.

Your dream is still alive.

Last edited:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't believe everything you read. šŸ˜„

A little perspective.

Transmission and rear end choices will bring that into the 11s

Might want to up your magazine research.Net has a ton of it. But you have to know how it fits in the context of reality.

I understood it well. I was there.

Your dream is still alive.
You canā€™t benchmark a car being currently tested. No telling what itā€™s history is.

I only show magazine research because many folks like to see things in print. These are all very credible sources and had no ax to grind. Yes, theyā€™re all over the internet and most say the same thing: these cars were low 14ā€“>high 13 second machines with terminal mph bumping a little over 100.

I have a pretty good grip on the realty and context of those days myself. In addition to owning GTOs, Chevelles, Camaros and Corvettes from 1965 on, I became a franchised Chevrolet dealer in 1971. I was not only there, I lived and worked it every day. These cars were an awful lot of fun; they sounded great and felt great to drive. But none of them were 11 or even 12 second cars bone stock, much as they felt like it at the time.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You canā€™t benchmark a car being currently tested. No telling what itā€™s history is.

I only show magazine research because many folks like to see things in print. These are all very credible sources and had no ax to grind. Yes, theyā€™re all over the internet and most say the same thing: these cars were low 14ā€“>high 13 second machines with terminal mph bumping a little over 100.

I have a pretty good grip on the realty and context of those days myself. In addition to owning GTOs, Chevelles, Camaros and Corvettes from 1965 on, I became a franchised Chevrolet dealer in 1971. I was not only there, I lived and worked it every day. These cars were an awful lot of fun; they sounded great and felt great to drive. But none of them were 11 or even 12 second cars bone stock, much as they felt like it at the time.
I appreciate your point of view, I never said "bone stock". Please read the threads. Saves a lot of back and forth.

I said, "Properly optioned Big Block vettes were turning upper 11s with minor mods".
Without actually saying it,that would be your L-88 427s, LS6 454s with factory optional gearing and trans options. Chambered exhaust, dealer installed factory headers ETC..
Camaros were doing similar things.

The magazine test all sucked back then IMO.

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The 6sp in a GT is made of glass, its junk

PP1 for the brakes, wheels, better tire, mild susp mods, for sure are pricey but still imho a 301 PP1 A10 is it

My non PP1 301 GT went 11.91@119
Bone Stock at Atco on a tire

On the factory Pirellis it went 12.08@117
Bone stock

55 degrees out
These Mustangs r no joke and Iā€™m a GM Guy

Last edited:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate your point of view, I never said "bone stock". Please read the threads. Saves a lot of back and forth.

I said, "Properly optioned Big Block vettes were turning upper 11s with minor mods".
Without actually saying it,that would be your L-88 427s, LS6 454s with factory optional gearing and trans options. Chambered exhaust, dealer installed factory headers ETC..
Camaros were doing similar things.

The magazine test all sucked back then IMO.
firsttexan, you indeed did not say bone stock but I did and that was the frame of reference I threw out there to start with. Actually I think I said ā€œshowroom stockā€ and ā€œstock tiresā€ but you get the point.

To me bone stock vs. bone stock is the only possible valid comparison when youā€™re talking about cars 50+ years apart from each other.

Obviously others may disagree but itā€™s just what seems reasonable to me.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Folks Iā€™m gonna tell you what: unless you track your GT I believe the PP1/PP2 packages are really not about much more than bragging rights and bench racing. Just witness all the guys that list it in their sigs like it were a separate model. But in reality, for street use it would be very difficult to go any faster than what you can already do in a stock GT without killing yourself and somebody else or going to jail. My stock GT can easily pretty much hang with my buddyā€™s GT3 RS at the Tail, and heā€™s a much better driver than I am.

Iā€˜ve probably hit very early triple digits in mine a few times doing pulls and the car feels perfectly stable and safe. I donā€™t think a PP would do a thing for it during that brief moment. If I were going to spend that kind of money Iā€™d be looking at forced induction. Accelerating a little harder is always thrilling when you can find a little clear road ahead.

Anyway itā€™s just my opinion and I canā€™t prove Iā€™m right any more that anyone else can prove me wrong I suppose.
It's not always about "going faster" or "hanging with your buddies GT$". And it's definitely not about killing yourself. Sometimes people just want different, or a different experience or feeling in their ride.

There... you're proved wrong.
Sponsored