Sponsored

If you were buying a stripped GT with one option what would it be?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
It's not always about "going faster" or "hanging with your buddies GT$". And it's definitely not about killing yourself. Sometimes people just want different, or a different experience or feeling in their ride.

There... you're proved wrong.
Know what Tony, you’re likely right. That line of thinking just wasn‘t really in my wheelhouse so comeuppance accepted!
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
The obvious CORRECT answer is the best performance pack available for that model year (PP1 or PP2)...!

... Honestly I would struggle to say no to premium trim, but OP implies that that's not even an option since he specifies "base GT". In any case, I think I lean towards PP.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Folks I’m gonna tell you what: unless you track your GT I believe the PP1/PP2 packages are really not about much more than bragging rights and bench racing. Just witness all the guys that list it in their sigs like it were a separate model. But in reality, for street use it would be very difficult to go any faster than what you can already do in a stock GT without killing yourself and somebody else or going to jail. My stock GT can easily pretty much hang with my buddy’s GT3 RS at the Tail, and he’s a much better driver than I am.

I‘ve probably hit very early triple digits in mine a few times doing pulls and the car feels perfectly stable and safe. I don’t think a PP would do a thing for it during that brief moment. If I were going to spend that kind of money I’d be looking at forced induction. Accelerating a little harder is always thrilling when you can find a little clear road ahead.

Anyway it’s just my opinion and I can’t prove I’m right any more that anyone else can prove me wrong I suppose.
While I tend to agree that if you're not going to the track at all, any performance pack is likely overkill for you, I think a decent chunk of people here DO take their Stangs to the track.

... Buuut even if you don't track, the lure of the performance pack can be understandable in some cases. If you just love the look of the performance pack, that alone MIGHT be worth the price of admission (especially before the 2021 MY when those packages were very reasonably priced). The cost of high quality aftermarket wheels and a BBK alone can match or outstrip the price of a performance pack, let alone some of the other fun bits.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
A "stripped" GT doesn't exist and hasn't for quite some time...

To me, a stripped GT wouid be:
No pwr windows
No pwr locks
No pwr decklid
No pwr mirrors (movable or illumination)
No pwr seats
No SYNC (or associated roof antenna)
No A/C
Cloth only base front bucket seats
No back seat (delete kit)
Base bare aluminum rims (like new Bronco or old PI Crown Vic style)
No rear defrost
No rear spoiler
No strut bracing
No nannies
No under hood liner
No wasteful giant plastic upper intake cover
No illuminated door sill plates
No digital dash cluster
No fog lights
No center console
No cruise control or other steering wheel features (ie: non-leather, buttonless steering wheel)
Non-vented hood
No modes (driving or steering)
Base radio (or none at all)
Base rearview mirror w/o pwr features
No modem or associated components that are useless
No back up cam or associated "safety" devices
No POS tire inflator kit
No seat memory buttons on door

So to me, the above would truly be a stripped "lightweight" GT... however most of the above probably isn't feasible from a factory build standpoint and most likely would not meet current standards for safety regulations.

Oh and if I'm buying a stripped GT, why would I want to add back anything that I didn't want to begin with? After all, the purpose of a stripped GT is to lower weight for "XYZ" events or to simplify and eliminate any complexities that aren't needed from a maintenance or pure operational perspective.

If Ford wouid offer such a "lightweight" GT; it would become a very good seller for those who want a no frills, "delete" weekend warrior that is truly bare bones performance.

Ford, are ya listening? LOL . . .
Like he said.

Hye Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang, 1985 mustang
Honestly depends what your intentions with the car is. If just going to be a daily driver, then figure out whats important to you, for some its the entertainment package with the sub, for some its the performance package, which for some means straight line others mean canyon carving. Me personally would say get the highest performance package you can, there are alot more components involved in the performance package cars over the base ones that people dont realize until they buy the base and then start learning all the stuff they didnt get that the performance cars do.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Been following this thread. Most every thread takes interesting directions and this on sure has. I may be wrong about the OP's initial idea but it struck me it matched my way of shopping for a Mustang in some ways.
Back before the chip/covid disasters I was looking for a base GT with a manual trans. The ones tried to buy has no options beyond the base package. The two main things were the V8 and the manual. I was fine with the 355 rear gear. Had plenty enough go for regular driving and I like longer legs anyway. No plans to street race. I like cloth seats over leather. So, my only avaiable option would be a spare tire. I still get flats.

A base GT already has more electronic gadgets than I like as it is. I am old and do recall the days Cobra Jet referenced. My problem back in the day was I could not afford a new muscle or pony car. I am told my wish list is not going to happen and we are stuck with option packages as they now exist. Does not make sense to me. It seems with computers on assembly lines we have now a special build ought to be easier. Back in the 60's we had lots of ways to order a vehicle with nary a computer in sight. People keep telling me how the modern tech has made things better, but sometimes it is hard to see.

A way to order a vehicle I would like to see would have the computers limited to running the engine functions for the most part. If interval windshield wipers require a computer chip or two that would be OK. I like interval wipers. I also like side mirrors you can adjust from the inside but recall them well before computers made it into cars.
No touch screens nor digital dash. Analogue gauges as much as possible. Maybe chips in a cruise control if they are needed. A good sound system can have chips of course.
I do not like that the headlights on my truck stay on a while after i turn off the key. That goes against decades of being careful with the battery charge. I still recall listening to an old tube radio in my dad's old Mercury and running the battery down.

Here is the one many will disapprove of. I do not like the complications of the antilock brakes on my pickup. I do not have such in my 2001 Sentra and never had them in other cars. I did test the antilock feature a couple of time in the pickup to see how it works but have never needed that feature in my regular driving. Guess I learned to drive for decades without it so do not rely on the feature. I can repair any part of the brakes on my Sentra. Not sure about the anti lock on my truck.
But enough of my fantasy. The only options on a base GT for me will be a manual and a spare tire.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
@sk47 sounds like a coyote swapped fox body would be perfect for you. All analog, light and simple. As hard as it is for me to wrap my head around they're now getting to be classic cars.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
@sk47 sounds like a coyote swapped fox body would be perfect for you. All analog, light and simple. As hard as it is for me to wrap my head around they're now getting to be classic cars.
Hello; I tried to buy a nice base 98 GT some months ago. It has the 4.6 V8 and is not close to today's Coyote for power. has modest punch. The seller wants a bit more than i am comfortable with. Turned out to have an auto trans which is the main reason I hesitate to pay his price. I was at 10K and he was at 12K for a while. A few weeks ago I upped my offer to 11K and he told me to keep shopping. The car is still listed so no one is jumping on it. The body and interior are in very good shape. I would want to at least put in a manual and figure that would be a chore and cost more than it is worth.
I like the 95 to 98 body. Not too big. Also, should have current AC freon and a CD player.
I have been watching a new to me series of auto shows. Looks like a Coyote swap is not as simple as ones i did decades ago. I think you have to have the entire wiring package hooked up. Not sure a Coyote is too big to fit???

But yes, you are correct. The idea of an older chassis with modern running gear is right up my alley.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
700a package

EDIT: If I were buying a base GT, I'd cross shop a GR86 probably. Just my $0.02.

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
700a package

EDIT: If I were buying a base GT, I'd cross shop a GR86 probably. Just my $0.02.
I did cross-shop the GR86... I was actually going to go that route until I sat in the car. It's not so small I can't fit in it, but it's not comfortable. The Mustang is flat out comfortable to ride in, and this car needs to be road-trip ready, not just an around-town toy.

All of that said, a maxed out GR86 is only like 34k, which won't even get you up to base GT yet and the only way to get a 100% base GT would be special order. Zero dealers will be stocking them, because they make more money on optioned cars. Mine special ordered car is a base GT w/ 301A and Black Accent Package, coming in at $41,800 MSRP. I'd love the PP, but $6k for stuff I really don't need seemed nuts. I agree with my decision after driving the car and I prefer how the black accent 5-spoke wheels look. Definitely not as aggressive (more narrow and all season tires), but I like them a lot. But I digress.

Back on topic, I think the GR86 is more of a cross-shop with a base EcoBoost Mustang, not a GT. A GT is going to cost you more.

Sponsored
OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Hello; Been following this thread. Most every thread takes interesting directions and this on sure has. I may be wrong about the OP's initial idea but it struck me it matched my way of shopping for a Mustang in some ways.
Back before the chip/covid disasters I was looking for a base GT with a manual trans. The ones tried to buy has no options beyond the base package. The two main things were the V8 and the manual. I was fine with the 355 rear gear. Had plenty enough go for regular driving and I like longer legs anyway. No plans to street race. I like cloth seats over leather. So, my only avaiable option would be a spare tire. I still get flats.

A base GT already has more electronic gadgets than I like as it is. I am old and do recall the days Cobra Jet referenced. My problem back in the day was I could not afford a new muscle or pony car. I am told my wish list is not going to happen and we are stuck with option packages as they now exist. Does not make sense to me. It seems with computers on assembly lines we have now a special build ought to be easier. Back in the 60's we had lots of ways to order a vehicle with nary a computer in sight. People keep telling me how the modern tech has made things better, but sometimes it is hard to see.

A way to order a vehicle I would like to see would have the computers limited to running the engine functions for the most part. If interval windshield wipers require a computer chip or two that would be OK. I like interval wipers. I also like side mirrors you can adjust from the inside but recall them well before computers made it into cars.
No touch screens nor digital dash. Analogue gauges as much as possible. Maybe chips in a cruise control if they are needed. A good sound system can have chips of course.
I do not like that the headlights on my truck stay on a while after i turn off the key. That goes against decades of being careful with the battery charge. I still recall listening to an old tube radio in my dad's old Mercury and running the battery down.

Here is the one many will disapprove of. I do not like the complications of the antilock brakes on my pickup. I do not have such in my 2001 Sentra and never had them in other cars. I did test the antilock feature a couple of time in the pickup to see how it works but have never needed that feature in my regular driving. Guess I learned to drive for decades without it so do not rely on the feature. I can repair any part of the brakes on my Sentra. Not sure about the anti lock on my truck.
But enough of my fantasy. The only options on a base GT for me will be a manual and a spare tire.
Interesting timing, this morning I am thinking Ruby Red and spare. I know that's 2 options though! LOL
Also I reserve the right to change my mind this afternoon. :cwl:

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
not so fast. I've seen 300A and 301A cars aplenty on lots.
301A is a $2,400 option package. Zero options means no check boxes at all... and it's the only way to get a base GT for 36k.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I spent many days at E-town with a bone stock 428 CJ and never got into the 13,s. Tuned 50 GTs are getting into the 11s. Gotta love that 10 speed. Everybody knows the same story "the older I get the faster I was"
My GT A10 did 11's when bone stock, no need for tune or anything else to get 11's.

OP
OP
19gtaz

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
What do you guys think of these wheels?
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku/m-1007kit-dc199lgb.html
I like the 19 Luster Nickel-PTD Alum wheels that came on my 19.
It would be cool to find a take off pair but may be hard to find.
Only problem is I'd need new tires and would only go 255 all the way around because the 275 is quite a bit taller. 275 is 27.7 tall and base GT has 235 that is 27.2 tall.
Might as well just go the GT Performance Package right? (Except for the price LOL) :crackup:
Sponsored