I Think the BBQ Tick is normal! w/video & Ford/GM TSBs

JGonvardi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP CO
Ok, let’s say it is normal... I wouldn’t buy a car that sounds like that. It’s pathetic.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ok, let’s say it is normal... I wouldn’t buy a car that sounds like that. It’s pathetic.
I agree. However, there is the distinct possibility that it has always been this noisy, yet never really noticeable because now they installed a plastic oil pan which makes it louder.

All I know is I added 1 bottle of Ceratec, and this engine now runs quiet as a mouse. It's almost as quiet and smooth as my well worn in '99 Suburban 5.7L. That engine is so quiet, I have to shut the heat off and open the window to see if it's even running.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I agree. However, there is the distinct possibility that it has always been this noisy, yet never really noticeable because now they installed a plastic oil pan which makes it louder.

All I know is I added 1 bottle of Ceratec, and this engine now runs quiet as a mouse. It's almost as quiet and smooth as my well worn in '99 Suburban 5.7L. That engine is so quiet, I have to shut the heat off and open the window to see if it's even running.
To me that says its masking a tolerances issue.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
To me that says its masking a tolerances issue.
It may not necessarily be an "issue". Every single ICE has some level of piston slap. It's inherent in the design of an ICE. It all depends on how much, whether or not it's audible, and whether or not it's out of tolerance and causing damage. If the piston clearance is correct for this design, then a small amount of random piston slap that becomes slightly audible may still be well within spec, and not causing any harm at all. I think the larger diameter piston with shorter skirts in the 2018 is definitely going to have a little more rocking motion and slap compared to the previous engines. Add to the fact they have a plastic oil pan, and the ticking sound becomes even more noticeable. All this may very well be within normal tolerances, but becomes slightly audible as the engine breaks in over time. In fact, new tolerances may also have slight audible ticking, since tons of new Mustangs are ticking right on the lot before even being driven.

So, to say it's masking an issue could be a bit misleading. The "issue" itself may in fact not even be a problem. The so-called "issue" may be completely normal within design specs. Is it annoying? VERY! So, adding a quality friction modifier helps with lubricity and long term wear. A side benefit is quiet and smooth operation.

anmut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Droptop Premium
It may not necessarily be an "issue". Every single ICE has some level of piston slap. It's inherent in the design of an ICE. It all depends on how much, whether or not it's audible, and whether or not it's out of tolerance and causing damage. If the piston clearance is correct for this design, then a small amount of random piston slap that becomes slightly audible may still be well within spec, and not causing any harm at all. I think the larger diameter piston with shorter skirts in the 2018 is definitely going to have a little more rocking motion and slap compared to the previous engines. Add to the fact they have a plastic oil pan, and the ticking sound becomes even more noticeable. All this may very well be within normal tolerances, but becomes slightly audible as the engine breaks in over time. In fact, new tolerances may also have slight audible ticking, since tons of new Mustangs are ticking right on the lot before even being driven.

So, to say it's masking an issue could be a bit misleading. The "issue" itself may in fact not even be a problem. The so-called "issue" may be completely normal within design specs. Is it annoying? VERY! So, adding a quality friction modifier helps with lubricity and long term wear. A side benefit is quiet and smooth operation.
And yet, low mileage GT's are having blocks replaced and being bought back...

Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Yep, I have the dreaded "tick", too. We'll probably be discussing the normalcy of it until the cockroaches rule the world.

I'm just going to drive it and have fun until someone proves the origin/cause and that it actually IS a mechanical problem worthy of worry.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
And yet, low mileage GT's are having blocks replaced and being bought back...
For the tick??? I know some have been replaced due to the rattle and subsequent scoring but I am not aware of engine replacements due to the tick.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
For the tick??? I know some have been replaced due to the rattle and subsequent scoring but I am not aware of engine replacements due to the tick.
There have been many guys with 2015-2017s that got a new short or long block because of the BBQ tick at idle. 2015-2017s (Gen2 Coyote) do not have the 2000 RPM rattle ... only the 2018+ Gen3 Coyotes have that.

Guys that just have the BBQ tick can usually make it disappear by adding some CeraTec to the oil. Some have reported that even just a half bottle (150 cc) will cure the BBQ ticking.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
If they heard "nothing from Ford" then that would mean the DEALERSHIP has replaced 5 engines. Also why would Ford tell the dealership how many they have replaced?
LOL ok, and you believe that a dealership is going to tell someone that? I was actually trying to make a joke out of the dealership caving to being "pressed". You believe what you want. though.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
There have been many guys with 2015-2017s that got a new short or long block because of the BBQ tick at idle. 2015-2017s (Gen2 Coyote) do not have the 2000 RPM rattle ... only the 2018+ Gen3 Coyotes have that.
OK, I didn't realize engines were being replaced just for the idle tick unless there was concrete evidence of internal engine damage. That is incredibly generous.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
LOL ok, and you believe that a dealership is going to tell someone that? I was actually trying to make a joke out of the dealership caving to being "pressed". You believe what you want. though.
I never said it was true, but yes, my local dealership guys would definitely tell me. I've been working with them for over 20 years, my uncle used to work in their body shop and their Sale Manager went to school with my dad. It why they let me take a GT350 for a test drive when they were still just hitting lots in 2016.

Like most industries, it's all about who you know, and how honest they are.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
OK, I didn't realize engines were being replaced just for the idle tick unless there was concrete evidence of internal engine damage. That is incredibly generous.
Yeah and I bet a lot of those motors had compression and oil burn within spec too. Again, until an actual mfg problem has been identified and corrected all these engine replacements will end up at some point with the same tick. Crazy...

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I might feel differently about it if I had the tick but I think I would MUCH rather either live with it or add Ceratec than have my engine replaced....as long as it was just the sporadic idle tick I hear in some videos.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Yeah and I bet a lot of those motors had compression and oil burn within spec too. Again, until an actual mfg problem has been identified and corrected all these engine replacements will end up at some point with the same tick. Crazy...
There have been a few guys who've reported the dealer ordering a new short block after just hearing the BBQ tick ... no tear down etc to look for a cause. Just a verbal approval from Ford to go ahead and order a short block.

And the sad part is some guys get a new short block and it's quiet for awhile, then starts ticking again after some miles are put on it.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
There have been a few guys who've reported the dealer ordering a new short block after just hearing the BBQ tick ... no tear down etc to look for a cause. Just a verbal approval from Ford to go ahead and order a short block.

And the sad part is some guys get a new short block and it's quiet for awhile, then starts ticking again after some miles are put on it.
I have a buddy that got a new short block in his 17 PP this year at 6500 miles. Tick was the reason for replacement.
Sponsored